Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 PM
ColtCollector67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BERGARA B14R FOLLOW UP

About 1 month ago I wrote a review of sorts about the Bergara B14R I had purchased. I thought I would share a few words regarding the current state of everything, any changes, etc...

At the time I did the report I had a Leupold VARI X III 4.5-14X with adjustable objective on the rifle. This has since changed as I wanted more power. I now have a MUELLER 8-32X Target scope. I received it just a few days ago. To be honest, I had never heard of Mueller. I wanted a scope that could match the screaming price/performance ratio of the Bergara. I checked here on Rimfire Central and based on what I read, it appeared that the Mueller fit that bill. For the money, the quality of the glass is astounding. I like the fine crosshairs. I like the turret knobs and the parallax adjustment being on the side. I am quite amazed at how good this scope looks at 32X. At this price is has no right to. I am mostly Leupold and Nikon around here. Honestly, I cannot afford what I wanted at this time. My budget was $300-$350. If the scope has durability to match the glass quality, it's an excellent $600 scope for $269. The increase in magnification has improved my groups at 100 yards.

That brings up the next subject: Bergara B14R Grouping Capability. It is a magnificent grouping rifle. It seems to like Lapua Midas + the best followed by Lapua Center X. The much less expensive SK Long Range Match is nothing to sneeze at! I have experimented with a few others. A local farm supply store had 4 bricks of ARMSCOR 22lr ammunition for $14.99 a brick! I had never tried the stuff but I purchased all 4 bricks anyway. If nothing else, it should be good for just plinking ammo. Surprisingly it will hold 5-shot groups of around 1/2" - 3/4" at 50 yards. That makes the ARMSCOR the worst grouping ammo I have shot with the Bergara, but I have much more ammunition to try. I will say that some High Velocity ammo shoots better than the pricey Federal Gold Match. For instance, Remington Golden Bullet, which has provided me with groups under 1/2". The Bergara B14R rivals anything I have from my Winchester 52C bull barrel model to the Remington 40x I just purchased to my ultra-tweeked CZs.

Typically, clean barrels shoot better and the Bergara is no exception. It pays to clean it as soon as accuracy begins to drop.

TIP: I have been cleaning with my normal liquid bore cleaner. After the patches come out clean I then dry-patch it until the bore is dry. I follow this up with J&B Bore Cleaning Paste. I typically do 3 runs of this. I then clean the barrel with solvent again. Once the barrel is clean I apply a drop of CLP on a patch and run it through the barrel. So, what's the deal with the paste? It cleans out residue conventional cleaners cannot. This not only prevents build-up on top of build-up, it helps to polish the bore with every cleaning. As time is going by, I am able to shoot more rounds before having to clean at each session. I would guess that Remington 40x Bore Cleaner would pretty much do the same thing, but I haven't tried it.

The Bergara is still on my short list of Phenomenal Rimfires. There are new 22 lr rifle leagues popping up in my area and I am eager to try it in that capacity. Purchasing a rimfire rifle that can do what this does gives me that sense of "wonder" again; like when I was much younger. THAT is priceless!

Last edited by ColtCollector67; 07-27-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-31-2020, 07:25 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Glad that you are getting good results, but more importantly, having fun doing so. Information on those rifles is scant. My only knowledge of them is the write up in The American Rifleman. The results posted were also very positive/impressive. I've yet to see one first hand. Hope that you will continue to update your experiences. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 PM
Prange

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the follow-up and for the original review. Both informative and are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 06:28 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCollector67 View Post

That brings up the next subject: Bergara B14R Grouping Capability. It is a magnificent grouping rifle. It seems to like Lapua Midas + the best followed by Lapua Center X. The much less expensive SK Long Range Match is nothing to sneeze at! I have experimented with a few others. A local farm supply store had 4 bricks of ARMSCOR 22lr ammunition for $14.99 a brick! I had never tried the stuff but I purchased all 4 bricks anyway. If nothing else, it should be good for just plinking ammo. Surprisingly it will hold 5-shot groups of around 1/2" - 3/4" at 50 yards. That makes the ARMSCOR the worst grouping ammo I have shot with the Bergara, but I have much more ammunition to try. I will say that some High Velocity ammo shoots better than the pricey Federal Gold Match. For instance, Remington Golden Bullet, which has provided me with groups under 1/2". The Bergara B14R rivals anything I have from my Winchester 52C bull barrel model to the Remington 40x I just purchased to my ultra-tweeked CZs.

The Bergara is still on my short list of Phenomenal Rimfires.
More is better. How about posting some more targets that show these magnificent groups with the various ammos. So far we've seen only the one target with six groups of CX that you posted in the BERGARA B14R - SPECTACULAR! thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...41&postcount=9
Old 08-01-2020, 03:25 PM
1275midget
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good info all around! Thanks!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:41 PM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gots me one of them thiar bergaras shoots pretty good. makes me happy. like the little room behind the house its a one holer. put a hit trigger in it. goes bang with very little pull. also got one of them 8x32 scopes can see forever.