Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Atomic13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New member with bolt issue.

First I want to say hello to all and glad there is a forum like this.

I inherited a few .22 rifles from my father and have begun to go through them for my children to enjoy. I have a Ranger model 103-2. My research has shown its is the same as a Marlin 80 or 81. It is bolt action with a clip. I have replace one side of the extractor (old style with 2 separate extractors) along with the extractor spring loop that slides along the bottom of the bolt. The bolt was filthy so I took it apart but unfortunaly, YouTube sent me astray. Maybe one of you fine members can help me out.

On the rear of the bolt there is a small screw you remove to get the spring loaded knob rod out of the rear of the bolt carrier. When I removed the little screw, I knew I was in trouble then the preloaded spring slid the collar out about 1/4"

My problem:
How do you compress the spring to get the collar hole with threads into the bolt carrier to line up with the bolt carrier bolt hole to re install the tiny screw.

Note. I did not remove the pin that holds the knob on the very back of this spring loaded piece.

Sorry so long. I like to be detailed and paint a picture.

Any help appreciated.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Atomic13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your reply. Trying to post photos. Photos so you can see my issue.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Atomic13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No luck with posting photos. Thanks for your response. If anyone else has any suggestion, please post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Atomic13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The collar that has the threads in it is called the striker sleeve. While under spring tension, I can't align the screw hole with the rear of the bolt carrier.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It should be doable, but takes two, one to hold the spring under compression while the other puts in the small screw. The spring isn't that powerful, so for us it was a snap. I would also recommend replacing that small spring that holds the firing pin back, while you have it apart. That was the reason I was taking mine apart in the first place.

Good Luck
Old 07-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Atomic13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry88. Thanks for the useful information. Being you have been in my shoes, how does the second person compress the spring? There is only a small window in the ejecting port to mess with the spring.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Washington22rf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at this thread.

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...ssembly.64749/
Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Bwana_1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same issue, and removed the pin holding the extractor head/firing pin. That allows the collar to slide down, install the screw, then reinstall the extractor and carefully realign pin and drive home carefully.