Rim Thickness and Howdy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM
ChefGuy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rim Thickness and Howdy

Let me start by saying this is the greatest source of information I have ever seen for the 10/22. I'm on my second 10/22 build after trading my first one off a couple of years ago. I recently bought an anniversary edition and am in the process of acquiring parts for the new build. I'll post that when enough parts arrive to make it range worthy. In the meantime I've been stockpiling some ammo and have begun to sort it by rim size. A friend saw my gadget I made for rim thickness and said I should post it up here. Its fairly simple as I already had a Hornady bullet comparator set. It was machined from aluminum like the comparator set. I was using one of the Hornady inserts with some shims because the body wasn't quite deep enough for the length of the .22 LR round but it was kind of clunky so I had the new insert machined to an OAL of .75 inches and it works great. Just zero the caliper and start sorting! If you have a Hornady Lock n Load comparator body and want one of these inserts drop me a pm. If you've got access to machine tools I'll be glad to send you dimensions if you need them. Thanks to all the posters here who pass on the great info! I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting you at the range!

Last edited by Pappy; 04-23-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: non-sponser advertising.....
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How much of a difference in accuracy/consistency do you find this sorting process makes?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was going to say, "no way I'm sorting thru 10,000+ rounds"! I'll spend my time checking the results at the target end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
How much of a difference in accuracy/consistency do you find this sorting process makes?
This dead horse has been beaten mercilessly over the years, and the answer is: "None whatsoever."
Old 04-22-2015, 10:25 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Welcome to RFC. Don't take offense to any answers you get, we tend to speak our mind as you probably are aware. The more important factor for me is correct headspace and firing pin protrusion. All my 10-22 bolts have been massaged by Que or CPC.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 PM
ChefGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't realize I was kicking an anthill with my very first post lol. I feel that any factor I can quantify and control when I am shooting will improve my confidence at the line. If its voodoo sobeit. It's not easy to offend me...especially when hearing educated folks speak their convictions. I appreciate the candor and comments. This is a great forum and I'm glad I can participate. Cheers!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:39 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Regardless of the efficacy of sorting rim thickness...
Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome!!!!

"What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness." - John Steinbeck

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 PM
RED HORSE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting RF benchrest since the 90's. I've sorted by weight, and sorted by rim thickness. My opinion is that the benefit of both procedures is lost on most people, both those sorting and those not sorting.

I believe sorting is useful, but it is useful on in evaluating a "batch" of ammo. My experience is that measuring a representative sample of whatever ammo you are shooting gives good insight to the quality of that particular batch. Ammo exhibiting the smallest variation is "better" than ammo exhibiting much greater variation in either measured feature.

If you measure a sample of Eley 10X you will almost always find it exhibits less variation than a sample of Remington Golden Bullets.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would hope so, considering the price difference.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Many, many years ago .... in a wild moment of enthusiasm ... I tried out the then "new-fangled concept" of rim thickness checking.

My home-made checking jig was identical in concept to the OP unit shown above ... but far easier to manufacture ... and a heck of a lot cheaper. It still sits in the case with my vernier calipres ... lonely and forlorn.

Easier and cheaper ... ??? A spent .223 calibre cartridge case !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of my club members was a long time competitor in the Sportsman's Team Challenge and their team did pretty well for years. They had a sponsorship deal with Federal and based on their own testing they measured and categorized every round they got from Federal. They were using Fed bulk instead of match ammo and they found that doing it improved their accuracy some. He also agreed that doing it with the top match ammos may or may not make a difference. However according to our club's top bullseye pistol shooter (A Camp Perry Presidents Club member) there are things you need to check even with match ammo.
A few things that have been tried and documented on this forum that do work, especially to improve the accuracy of bulk ammo is:
1. Mike every round thru a .224 case guage. This will make it so all the bullets have a uniform thickness. What you are trying to do is eliminate all the burrs and imperfections. With lead bullets you want the bullet diameter to be about .001 larger than the firearms bore so it grabs the rifling better.
2. Tune and adjust a Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator. Bonefide test data shows that bulk ammo groups shrink as much as 20% or more if you tune it for a specific ammo. It damps out some of the whip and barrel harmonics. The world record rimfire benchrest score was shot with a custom bolt gun with both a barrel tuner and the Limbsaver on it a few years ago.

Only your intended purpose should decide whether you want to bother to do this. I only used the Limbsaver when I was shooting metallic silhouette. Everything else I do is speed shooting where it makes no real difference.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:22 PM
ChefGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the welcome! Good information here.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Mspohn

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
20 years ago, i bought a rim thickness guage. After several nites sorting and labeling boxes, i went to the range. I felt at t je time and still do to some degree that it had merrit. To each his own!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Tunnelrats
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bald Eagle

I purchased the Bald Eagle gage around 1990, I also purchased the compara-set around the same time. I have found that not all rifles will see an improvement however several of mine do indeed. When I can not find match ammo I will sort through some bulk on those long winter nights...if nothing else you can talk to your ammo like most gardners talk to their plants. Hey you never know.