Scorpion 4.5 vs 6inch barrel with comp - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 PM
JZ3
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scorpion 4.5 vs 6inch barrel with comp

I put a Volquartsen Scorpion 4.5 inch/with comp on layaway this weekend. I plan on running it with a C-more railway so sight radius should not be a issue. However, I am second guessing myself on whether I should have purchased the longer barrel length....just how much would that extra 1.5 inches truly impact accuracy on a 22LR vs. tradeoff of a larger barrel and running the gun for speed and overall weight/balance???
Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 AM
NighthawkT3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd love to know that answer as well. It might be worth a call to Volquartsen since I would think they would have the most data. I wonder what difference there would be in velocity as well...if any.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:16 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Really depends on how you plan to shoot your Scorpion. Bullseye shooters seem to prefer longer length barrel, while speed shooters usually go for a shorter length.

I had both lengths, and found the longer one to be more muzzle heavy. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 PM
shakyshoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A longer barrel will do virtually nothing for your accuracy if you use a red dot, certainly not at ranges up to 25 yd. I have the 6" with the comp, and I wish it were a little MORE muzzle heavy, but I'm using it for bullseye. If you're doing any type of speed shooting, the short one is probably the way to go.

Last edited by shakyshoot; 06-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:28 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Scorpion with the 6" barrel and comp as well. Thought I would shoot somce with iron sights. However, a Burris FF3 now sits on top. With the std Hogue grips it weighs just under 36 oz (35.7). Very nice balance and shoots wonderfully. If I was doing it over I might get shorter barrel for weight reasons, particularly knowing I will not likely take the dot sight off. Not at all unhappy with what I have, just an observation.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
barrel length

I have 3 scorpions and they all have the shorter barrel. I use mine for steel challenge with a c more railway and like the weight difference. One of my scorpions came with a longer barrel and I tried it during practice. Did not like it and traded to a bullseye shooter for the 4.5. I have a comp on one of my pistols and do not find any difference in my times on the steel challenge stages. George
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
JZ3
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your responses....as stated I will be using it for pins and steel both requiring speed versus bullseye precision. My assumption was give up barrel and gain more in weight, balance and speed. I knew the answer in theory but needed to hear it from some guys who had actually put it to practice. George sealed the deal with his last post...thanks again.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM
NighthawkT3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder why the pros on the Volquartsen team use the 6" then.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Personal preference I would assume
Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM
NighthawkT3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JZ3, Scott Volquartsen essentially said the same thing Shakyshoot said regarding accuracy differences between the two barrel lengths. At 25 yards or less, the difference is negligible. It isn't until about 50 yards and beyond were the 6" barrel starts to show better accuracy. Sounds like for your application, you made the correct choice.