Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Erratic groups 50 yards

Henry H001T, I've had the rifle a few months, put a new scope on it and shot it yesterday. Groups are all over the place big problem is vertical stringing. Some groups are less than an inch, next will throw a couple round 2" from the group, usually high but may throw one below. Scope is tight, checked it twice, cover screws are tight. The scope is a new Leupold 2x7 rimfire. I will try a different scope next trip.
I load 5 rounds and shoot, load five more and shoot. Twice (with different ammo) the third group was good, 4th was bad again. CCI mini Mag, CCI Tactical and some old Aguilla standard ammo, all 3 are accurate in my other rifles.
Anyone have any hints other than scope?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:59 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife and I both have H001T's and they shoot 1" groups at 50 yards off sand bags. There has been one occasion when my wife's Frontier started shooting some wild flyers that was rectified by a complete tear-down and thorough barrel cleaning with brushes and patches.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM
D Harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm... I would fill the magazine full. Fire a fouling shot. Wait 3 minutes between each of the 5 shots. Continue to add ammo to mag while waiting. After that...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot 500 plus thru it so it wouldn't hurt to clean it. I did one pass thru it with a bore snake but that ain't like a real cleaning.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 PM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What kind of rest are you shooting off?
Denis
Old 11-19-2015, 10:43 PM
doc thornton
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I got my Henry H001 the first thing that I did was thoroughly clean the
bore. I used a coated Dewey rod and a wire brush and Cleanzoil for about
five back and forth passes. After that I pushed a dry patch through and then
began to clean with Butches Bore Shine. It took me a good ten patches
to stop getting really black gunk out and down to only light gray smudges.
There must have been a lot of manufacturing mess in the bore.

Get a good rod and brush and solvent and patches and really clean the bore.
Take note of how smoothly the patches pass down the bore toward the end
of your cleaning. Take care not to damage the crown or rifling at the muzzle.

Get your best ammo out, known quality no cheap stuff, and try it again.
The ammo that you say shot accurately out of other rifles might not
be the ones for this rifle. Try some match grade stuff. Maybe this rifle
is just a fuss budget, some of them are.

It is doubtful that the Leupold is to blame but trying a different scope of
known accuracy is a good idea. Try doing your accuracy tests at 25 yds.
for a while then move out to 50 yds.

Also you are getting vertical strings so make sure that you put your rifle
in exactly the same place on the front rest each time and that you are
not putting any cheek pressure on the stock in different ways each shot.
The way that you grip the rifle must be consistent. Head position also.

I hope that you are not offended by my stating such basic things but
in order to shoot with precision one must be consistent and repeatable
in technique in order to eliminate variables.

Or, maybe you just got a rifle with a really bad (looking) bore like some
of those being reported on this forum.

Last edited by doc thornton; 11-20-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:29 PM
ditto1958
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm... that's strange. I have an H001 that's about three or four years old. Recently I mounted a scope, interestingly enough, also a Leupold 2-7 rimfire. At the range when I tried to zero it, I had some puzzling results.

After shooting a decent three shot group at 50 yards I made adjustments I thought would get me close to my point of aim. The next shots I took, however, did not group. Instead I got a vertical string. I haven't gotten it back to the range again, but I left that day scratching my head.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With CCI SV at 50yds I can get (3x9x40 scope) right a 3/4 inch groups, check scope, ammo
Old 11-22-2015, 03:22 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post

Vertical stringing is usually trigger control and the Henry has a bit of a heavy trigger (all things being equal.) Check everything and shoot CCI Std velocity
You know, I thought about that. I think you may be spot on. I have a completely stock 10/22 that I have learned to shoot well. I shoot it a lot better than I shoot the Henry. I think what it is with the Ruger is that I have "learned" the trigger. Despite the poor reputation of the stock 10/22 trigger, AND despite the fact that the Henry trigger seems, at least on the surface, to be better than the one on my Ruger, I'm beginning to seriously rethink that.

I have previously blamed the sights that I have on the Henry. The supplied front sight is useless outside of 50 yards. The Hiviz fiber optic front sight I replaced I with is much better, but still too large at 100 yards. Hence, my decision to try a scope.

The scope is good. The rifle is capable of shooting good groups. That leaves the shooter and the trigger. I think the Henry has a deceptively crummy trigger. Which sounds like a challenge to me. I gotta learn how to shoot it better.

In really
Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Today I tore it down and scrubbed the bore with tight patches and 5 in out strokes with a bronze brush. I don't know how many patches, maybe 30, the last patch was still showing black but a lot cleaner than when I started. Bore looks good but I expect clean patches at the end.????????????
I'll try some Wolf Std Vel. next trip to the range, it's worked in every gun I've tried it in so far, even a 541T HB I used to own would shoot it, that's all it would shoot. If the Henry won't shoot it I'll try another scope but it's unlikely the new Leupold is bad. after that I'll have to mail it to Henry and have it checked out.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 PM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What kind of rest are you shooting it off?
Denis
Old 11-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
What kind of rest are you shooting it off?
Denis
Sandbags. My 10/22s shoot better than the Henry with a red dot on one, peep sight on the other. Actually, I got a couple sub 1" groups with the Henry but it goes back to the 2 to 3" stringing the very next group after a good one. I hope cleaning it helps.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete10 View Post
Sandbags. My 10/22s shoot better than the Henry with a red dot on one, peep sight on the other. Actually, I got a couple sub 1" groups with the Henry but it goes back to the 2 to 3" stringing the very next group after a good one. I hope cleaning it helps.
I wonder- do the Henry's need to cool more between groups to stay accurate?

I bang away with my 10/22 and it seems to shoot about the same hot or cold. With the Henry, being a lever gun, I shoot much more slowly than with the semi-auto 10/22. I've really never thought about heat with the Henry. Heck, compared to center fire rifles a .22 barrel just gets warm, not smoking hot.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 PM
303lithgow
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
I wonder- do the Henry's need to cool more between groups to stay accurate?

I bang away with my 10/22 and it seems to shoot about the same hot or cold. With the Henry, being a lever gun, I shoot much more slowly than with the semi-auto 10/22. I've really never thought about heat with the Henry. Heck, compared to center fire rifles a .22 barrel just gets warm, not smoking hot.
If I want the best accuracy I let the barrel breath for a few seconds. But for me the most important thing is shooting standard velocity. Norma is my favorite.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 AM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
During all the years I've shot Henry .22s, including two weeks ago with a new one, I've never paused between shots or strings in accuracy testing.
They've all shot well, and always with iron sights.
Denis