Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Sig 9mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
I've had no issues with the Fed/Wallyworld 550 packs. (other than I haven't seen any at the stores lately.. hopefully that'll change)

My pistols really like them, even my wife's Mosquito which is notoriously ammo-picky.

Match ammo they are not , but that being said, they shoot good enough for me to qualify for NRA Distinguished Expert/pistol a while back, so no complaints at all!

Good to hear that they play nice with the Mosquito. I hope to get an OD (or FDE) Mosquito soon.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Sig 9mm, Sir...that is the one thing ammo never gets cheaper...thats if you can find it without being there at 5:30 am to get in line and hope they got something in?? I do all my ordering online any more...from the comfort of my chair, without wasting one penny of gas or one minute of time waiting in line. That price is great compared to the guys at the gun shows asking $ 80.00 a brick.

Signalman
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Federal bulk runs great in my Mark 3 and 1911 conversion but it stumbles badly in my gsg 1911, it just loves Remington golden bullets.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Racer88
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
It's my go-to ammo, functioning in all my .22s very well, just shy of matching CCI Mini-Mags for a lot less price. I haven't seen one on a shelf since December 2012. It's my "barometer" for when ammo is back to "normal". Once I see stacks of Value Packs like before, that will be "normal".
Ditto. By far, Federal is the most consistent bulk .22LR ammo for all my rimfires. Of course, CCI is good stuff. But, for bulk... hands down... Federal.

Worst for me: Winchester.

I haven't even tried Remington, because of what I've heard / read about it.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Sig 9mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer88 View Post
Ditto. By far, Federal is the most consistent bulk .22LR ammo for all my rimfires. Of course, CCI is good stuff. But, for bulk... hands down... Federal.

Worst for me: Winchester.

I haven't even tried Remington, because of what I've heard / read about it.
Remington Golden Bullet and Remington Thunderbolt have been awesome thru my .22 pistols-VERY reliable.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
wll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We'll I opened a box of Federal 550, and it was some the nicest bulk ammo I have seen. The Remington 225 " New and Improved" looks like it has been stored in an old barn for 75 years, the stuff look horrible !

I will be looking for Federal bulk tomorrow, as I have for the past 5 days and have come up with one box.

At the Walmart's I go to, there are at least 5-8 folks in the line at 6 am and " Run" to the ammo dept., and wait till 7am when they open. Yes there have been altercations !

I will be there at 6 tomorrow, I want 6 more bulk packs and then I'm through with this.....it is insanity !

wll
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig 9mm View Post
Good to hear that they play nice with the Mosquito. I hope to get an OD (or FDE) Mosquito soon.
Sig, here's a heads-up for the Mosquito...

Go by the book (mini-mags recommended) for break-in. After you get some rounds downrange on it, take your box of Fed bulk, open it up and add a few drops of any gun oil you may have handy & fluff 'em up... pretend you're making a tossed salad with the rounds & oil. You need only a very very little bit of oil.

That should eliminate any FTFs, stovepipes, etc..

I know it sounds goofy, but it works!! We were getting really PO'ed with the Mosquito until we tried that little trick!

Good shooting to ya!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
hunters papa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bulk packs

Braved the snow storm here this morning no one on roads ,so went local wally world and had a big surprise no one in line for ammo.Was able to buy federal 525 packs ,mine & wives limit for me & a few friends that I will share with.I have seen more 22 become available lately at good prices.Local hardware/hunting store next to work had black Friday sale 25& change for bulk pack wally's was 20&change today.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have had the best luck with the Federal Bulk ammo in either the 550 or 525 packs. They are hard to beat for bulk ammo.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Sig 9mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wll View Post
We'll I opened a box of Federal 550, and it was some the nicest bulk ammo I have seen. The Remington 225 " New and Improved" looks like it has been stored in an old barn for 75 years, the stuff look horrible !

I will be looking for Federal bulk tomorrow, as I have for the past 5 days and have come up with one box.

At the Walmart's I go to, there are at least 5-8 folks in the line at 6 am and " Run" to the ammo dept., and wait till 7am when they open. Yes there have been altercations !

I will be there at 6 tomorrow, I want 6 more bulk packs and then I'm through with this.....it is insanity !

wll
I hope you're able to buy some tomorrow. Earlier last year it was that way where I live; you pretty much had to be in line by 6:15 or so to buy 22lr. For the last couple of months, it hasn't been nearly as crowded at most Walmarts near me. Sometimes I'm the only one there when they bring out the ammo ~7:15. Good luck.

Last edited by Sig 9mm; 01-05-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Sig 9mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Go by the book (mini-mags recommended) for break-in. After you get some rounds downrange on it, take your box of Fed bulk, open it up and add a few drops of any gun oil you may have handy & fluff 'em up... pretend you're making a tossed salad with the rounds & oil. You need only a very very little bit of oil.

I know it sounds goofy, but it works!! We were getting really PO'ed with the Mosquito until we tried that little trick!

Good shooting to ya!

That's not the first time I've heard that! Good advice. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Shraven

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
That, my friend, is a POS gun. No gun should require that kind of babying. I like how people are quick to blame crappy guns on the ammo. A working gun should shoot any ammo. It may shoot one kind more accurately than another, but it shouldn't fail to function with any kind. (I will make allowances for oddly shaped bullets, but any round nose bullet should not be a problem.)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs down gun show price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Went to the Yuma gunshow yesterday morning, guy had about 20 of these, only $95.00 per box. Folks were not standing in line to buy.

It is pretty good stuff, I use a lot of it in my handguns, hardly ever a misfire or malfunction.
maybe the seller will choke on it! i cant believe what these fools are asking and there are people buying it.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up buford and winder GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig 9mm View Post
Good info, "jon p". Greetings from Buford.
hey sig, back to you from beautiful downtown winder. matter of fact my son lives in buford and i work in a big toy store there! can you guess??
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
S&w 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
The federal 550 stuff works in every gun I have except for a 422, and my gsg .22 Neither of these pistols like it. My buddy's gsg loves the stuff so I guess it is a gun for gun thing.
mine loves federal bulk, so does my gsg 1911. isnt it weird how the same guns like different ammo.