Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:53 PM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Rumor has if ya want to live to be 100, don't fall. Broken hip rehab is a nursing home, last stop motel.
Great read. I had my first knee operation at the VA many years ago and in a recovery ward with lots of older vets getting hip operations. At that time treatment was taking two pieces from the femur and grafting on both sides of the hip stem. Poor guys would have to lay in bed for weeks. That is what was hardest on most of them. Now days they just replace the whole joint. They had my grandfather walking the day after his hip replacement.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Can you say 'self-centered' in a more focused way?
Yep: "I expect you to leave to me the hard-earned fruits of your labour."
Old 01-12-2020, 06:15 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My list starts with my belief and worship of the Lord.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:26 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
My list starts with my belief and worship of the Lord.
Yea That!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good thread!

I'm 68 and spend too much time sitting on my rear, often on the computer.

You guys won't believe what I bought last week...an electric guitar!!!

I've always wanted to learn but the usual excuses held me back. I read an article recently that said the two best things we can do to exercise our brains are: learn a musical instrument or learn a new language.

I'm lucky I don't have arthritis in my hands but still realize I may only be able to play for a few years.
It takes pressure off knowing that I don't have time left to get great, so I'm just playing for my own fun as long as I can. And it is fun!
Lots of free or cheap lessons online and in books with DVDs.

And even cheap guitars today are pretty good and easy to play. Watch video reviews. You can get a surprisingly good import for less than $200 and a starter kit with amp for $250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPI LP.jpg (67.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 08:29 PM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
old dave I had hip replacement in 2015. walked in at 6.30 am walked out at 630 pm. they say hips are easer than knees. young dave
Old 01-12-2020, 10:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF22553 View Post

Hope this doesn't sound to be bragging. I served my country, didn't spend outlandishly, got a decent well-paying job - post Army retirement - and am now enjoying the sacrifices of a VERY long commute (>2 hours each way) for several years wearing the obligatory khaki slacks and blue blazer.
Sure doesn't sound like bragging to me. Than you for your service, Sir.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Reading the list in the link, I started to wonder if I was doing it all wrong. But, what I realized is I have always tried to keep as active and challenged as I can, but things keep getting in my way. Over the years, lots of my friends just stopped doing things. Finding friends to go fishing, shooting, hiking, skiing, or just about anything except sitting on our butts and BS'ing has gotten harder over the years. And now my wife and kids keep telling me I'm getting too old to do some of the things I am quite capable, willing, and able to do with or without their help and approval....

And hobbies? Don't even get me started- I'm about three times over my limit of what my wife's friends and "advisers" tell me I should have for hobbies- and adding more while there is still time.

Still hoping to go skiing in the next few weeks once the snow builds enough for a good cushion to fall on...... at 66, I need all the padding I can get....

Bob
Old 01-12-2020, 11:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Someone once said: Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die. Donít take that poison. Forgive, forget and move on with your life."

That stood out to me. Bitterness is unfulfilled revenge; it will eventually turn you into a miserable person if you don't let it go.

I'm still a ways from 65. Looking to buy a house to die in, and will hopefully have it this year. These days I'm spending more on small luxuries than I did when I was young, but not going nuts. Still investing a good percentage, and I have no debt.

My Dad served in the Navy during WWII, worked for 42 years at the same company, retired, had a stroke a couple of years later and became totally disabled. I hope to have a few more years to enjoy myself than he did. I've got an electronic thingie taped to my chest right now, monitoring an irregular heartbeat that may be AFib.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:45 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't hit 50 and tried to look up a college friend. Died several years ago. At least one of my high school classmates died of a bad infection after appendix surgery. My shooting buddy had to get another pacemaker to regulate his heart. He's almost 60. I've had kids I've worked with in middle school 10 years ago that are no longer above ground. One was shot dead in his early 20s Wrong place, wrong time, wrong friends. Death knows no age limit. I'm sure some of us are surprised we've made it this long Some of it is dumb luck and some of it is a result of our decisions. God bless you all.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:32 AM
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience is exactly the same. After I retired I wanted to look up guys I had known. Kid I grew up with had passed-- six months younger than me. Guys I was in the service with and guys I worked with for years. I was surprised at how many were gone. They were some of the nicest guys. I think the good Lord takes the nicest ones first so I should live to be 100.

Last edited by OldDave; 01-13-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:59 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At 65 life it at the beginning of its zenith! Look whose running things,This is our time to make our mark ,change the world ,get er done!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Speaking of too many hobbies:

In the summer of 2016, at age 62 I had to take a 45-day break from work I love. Doc said too many candles for too many years. I think I had been watching too much "news" as well and I needed a break.

I started watching golf on TV. I had only dabbled in golf very early in my life; a couple of par 3 courses, borrowed or rented clubs, no lessons or talent. I stopped watching the news, stopped watching the NFL (political protests helped me break that habit), and generally stopped almost all TV except golf channel.

That summer in 16 I went out and bought the whole kit and caboodle; clubs, bag, shoes, etc. I still have em but other than a couple of swings in the yard, I haven't used them yet.

I'm planning to spend a couple hundred (8 lessons) on a local course coach to help me bypass a few bad habits and see what I can do. It is tough to find the time sometimes, turkey hunting in two states in the spring (archery), and getting ready for big game season in the late summer and fall (again, archery), and squirrel hunting with rimfire and air rifles.

I don't know if I can have any fun playing golf starting at age 66 or not. Going to find out. My wife of 41.5 years will tag along and maybe take some swings too if she wants to.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM
lessisbest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Concerning item #2: I'm 80+ and I CLEARLY recall that the "yardstick" was this: If your parents got you to 18, in good health and (hopefully) a high school diploma then Mom and Pop could declare JOB DONE! You were now in the world of adulthood and you PULLED YOUR OWN WEIGHT! If you continued to live at home you CONTRIBUTED TO THE HOUSEHOLD!

As for myself I joined Uncle Sam's Army at 17. I graduated college in my mid 30's and I paid EVERY DIME of it out of my own pocket.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:41 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have lost a few of my own generation, but mostly my older brother 17 years ago. While we were not close beyond my 20th year, his death had a profound influence: he died of prostate cancer while young (about 53) and called me to warn me, as it appeared to be familial. He was right: both I and my oldest brother had it and were treated for it. So Harry was our point-man...We are both alive because if him, but I also know that I do not ever want to follow in his painful and extended death. It has been ten years this month since my initial diagnosis, but my PSA is starting to register again. Still, I've had ten years of a wonderful life thanks to my brother's warning/alert.

None of us know what life will give us, but all of us should know that life-eternal awaits us! My Fi taught me that!