Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Browning pistol models

Is the Buckmark the newer version of the Challenger, and was that in turn, the newer version of the Nomad?

Here is a gun or THE gun I would be looking for:

Basic clean lines
light weight
front and rear fiber sights
4-6 inch barrel
comfortable rubber or plastic grips, but option of going with wood

What I DON'T want:
any sort of rail (top or bottom)
super deluxe-o-rama "countour" grips
bull barrel

What is available?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:44 PM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you checked the Browning forum?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:11 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The evolution goes as follows.

Colt Woodsman designed by John Browning

Belgium Browning pistols, Nomad, Challenger and Medalist designed by Bruce Browning, John’s grandson.

Challenger II has cast steel receiver and is made in the USA.

Challenger III has an alloy receiver and is similar to BuckMark.

BuckMark is a direct descendant of the Belgium pistols and are accurate and reliable, but are much cheaper to manufacture.

In my opinion, the Belgium pistols are the pinnacle of the designs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a nice story about the evolution of the Colt Woodsman to today's Buckmark. Note that John M. Browning's grandkids were the driving force of that development.
http://toyfj40.freeshell.org/GunPix/BuckMarkInfo.html
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, there are more than I thought.

So, is the Buckmark you can buy today basically the same as the original, or at least the Nomad?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AubMassCoyote View Post
Wow, there are more than I thought.

So, is the Buckmark you can buy today basically the same as the original, or at least the Nomad?
No. It is a great value, but not in the same class. And I should note the Nomad was the economy version of the old Brownings.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, what would make them better? Is it the materials? Is it the same design? How different ARE they?
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The old ones were machined form steel with a fine blued finish, had user friendly trigger OT adjustment, very nice factory triggers, weight-of-pull adjustments (except on Nomads) and everything worked so smoothly.

Because of the materials and craftsmanship used back then, they also have a long life expectancy. For example, M2HB has a Challenger with hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and it's still running.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM
OlongJohnson

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A Buck Mark, like almost any other gun made today under an MSRP of about $1800, is an almost-ready-to-shoot pistol kit. You know all the pieces are included because it's fully assembled. The first thing I do with any of them is disassemble it completely and tune up all the pieces. Once that's done, they run much more smoothly and can be very sweet indeed. I like them better than any other current production .22LR pistol.

If you like the look of the old pencil-barrel Challengers, do a search on Buck Mark Challenge. They are current/recent production, and there are still plenty around in distribution and on that auction site.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:36 AM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
A Buck Mark, like almost any other gun made today under an MSRP of about $1800, is an almost-ready-to-shoot pistol kit. You know all the pieces are included because it's fully assembled. The first thing I do with any of them is disassemble it completely and tune up all the pieces. Once that's done, they run much more smoothly and can be very sweet indeed. I like them better than any other current production .22LR pistol.

If you like the look of the old pencil-barrel Challengers, do a search on Buck Mark Challenge. They are current/recent production, and there are still plenty around in distribution and on that auction site.
Ha ha ha, that's pretty funny. I'd say most, if not all, .22 pistols are under $400. Maybe you added an extra 0. And, why the heck would you take apart a brand new pistol. Well, you got a "LOL" out of me on a Saturday morning, thanks!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:51 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The Belgium 22 pistols were “sleepers” for years. They were relatively inexpensive for the quality and the only down side was the lack of original mags.

The Nomad was the economy version. Early ones had an alloy frame, and no slide lock or adjustable trigger. I suggest if you have an alloy frame Nomad, trim down a BuckMark buffer for it. Chim came up with the idea years ago when we were experimenting to see what BuckMark parts would fit into the Belgium Browning 22s.
I run trimmed down BuckMark buffers in all my Belgium Browning 22 pistols.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:16 AM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a photo to help you compare some of the models. The top row has two Challengers and a Nomad in the middle. The second row is a Challenger (left), Challenger II (middle), Buckmark UDX (right). The bottom row is a Buckmark Camper with Tacsol barrel and grips (left) and a Browning 1911-22 (right). I don't have pictured a Medalist or a Challenger III and there are many, many flavors of Buckmarks out there.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 AM
OlongJohnson

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AubMassCoyote View Post
And, why the heck would you take apart a brand new pistol.
Because I've taken apart old ones and wished I'd gotten in there sooner.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:20 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
All of my Belgium Browning 22 pistols were new or like new when I bought them, except for one Challenger.

The Challenger was well used when I bought it and I decided to see how long it would last. I shoot it more than all my other firearms combined. I put about 80,000 rounds through it when the finish was so bad I decided to have it Hard Chromed.
I now have over 250,000 rounds through it not included how many it had before I bought it. I have run a trimmed down BuckMark buffer in it since about the time I had it refinished. I have new barrels for it, but I haven’t needed to change it yet.

I didn’t count the exact rounds, but I did keep track of the cases if ammo. Most was Federal bulk. My friends and I would put a 550 pack through it most of the times we took it out which averaged about 3 times a month. This went in for years and still goes on, but not as often.

The only thing that had been changed as far as wear parts is cut down BuckMark recoil springs, disconnector spring, buffer, grips, and I did have a custom rail made for it. It is a blast to shoot with a red dot sight and sometimes with a suppressor.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M2HB, I have seen photos of your Belgium Challenger and it looks really nice. Just curious where you had the hard chrome job done?