Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:07 AM
TrickyWidget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy Standard failure to feed

I have a Mark IV Standard that I bought new and I've put several hundred rounds through it. Mostly CCI Standard Velocity.

For the first five hundred rounds or so, it functioned flawlessly. But the last few hundred rounds have started having trouble feeding. Occasionally they'll jam up in the chamber, but mostly it somehow pulls a round off the magazine and just leaves it sitting between the bolt and the magazine. If I pull the magazine before I pull the bolt, usually a loose round just falls out of the chamber. These stray rounds don't show any signs of damage. It seems more likely to do this in the first few rounds of the magazine than later on.

I keep the gun super-clean, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I could imagine that the magazine is getting dirty, but I can't see how to take it apart to clean it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what could be wrong?

Thank you!

EDIT: It was indeed a dirty magazine. I cleaned it out thoroughly and now it's feeding just fine. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by TrickyWidget; 11-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:10 AM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

TW,

The magazine plastic floor plate slides on and off the bottom of the mag body. There is a small hole in that floor plate that allows a small pointed awl to compress the internal spring guide, thus releasing the floor plate. Be sure to go Slowly and be ready to catch the spring guide and spring, as it will try and launch across the room! From there, cleaning the internal mag body will be doable!

You keep the internal action clean...what are you using? Personally, I find One-Shot to work extremely well in both cleaning RF grit and leaving a micro fine dry lube that last a long time and minimizes future build-up!

I shoot CCI Mini-Mag HV 40gr 1235fps CPRN ammo...shoots Clean and Accurate! After several bricks through all of my Mk rimfires (MkIV, MkII, MkI, Standard), I've had Zero FTF, FTE or failure-to-feed issues!!

Ted
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV does not feed well in cold weather. We don't know what part of the country you live in so it may not pertain to your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 12:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first thing Id try would be a different ammo,but typically a feeding problem is a mag problem. Have you tried another magazine?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV has a rather thick, waxy lube. It tends to gum up magazines and does get worse in colder weather. The easy solution is to clean your mags and switch to copper plated (usually HV) ammo. IME, HV ammo doesn't go supersonic in short barreled semi-auto pistols. I save SV ammo for my rifles.

But maybe you have a large supply of SV and want to use it. Okay, there's things you can do to make it run better.

First thing is smoothing and polishing some surfaces. The mags are stamped out of sheet metal, which often leaves burrs behind. I always lightly sand the bottom side of the rear feed lips and the track the follower button rides up in. I also smooth and polish the inside/front of the mags where the bullet noses rub. Then I do the same to the feed ramp on the barrel.

This fixes many feeding problems. I also adjust the rear feed lips on new mags like this:

New mags usually are a little tight at the back of these lips, which then hold the cartridge rim a bit low. This is a bigger deal with MKIII/MKIV mags because they hang lower in the frame than in heel release pistols.

Finally, you can extend the time between mag cleanings by adding a drop or two of oil to the front surface of the mags before each shooting session. The waxy SV lube then slides over the oil instead of sticking to the mags.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:25 PM
TrickyWidget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for all the help! I just ordered some long-handled swabs so I can get in there and clean out my magazines properly. I think that will probably do the trick.

You folks are the best!
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 AM
MyNameIsEarl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

I am baffled by the number of posts that actually specify the "correct" magazine lip dimensions for the MK IV. I always appreciate the pioneering spirit, but have these members shared their conclusions with the factory? Did Ruger agree that the feed lip dimensions shown above are actually what the factory had in mind?

My own experience was that my magazines were feeding normally until I loaded 10 rounds. Then the top 2 rounds would spill out by themselves. The factory sent me replacements that work OK, but I did not take feedlip measurements old-to-new.

I agree that the design of .22lr feed lips is critical. I'll even grant that some experimentally minded members can improve the operation of their faulty MK IV magazines by bending, pounding and tweaking. The material is hard and strong spring steel. Spring steel has a memory, so even if you do bend it, it will try to return to its original shape. And, there are no suitable tools available to do this work in the first place, unless you are a tool and die maker.

While it is noteworthy to understand what a proper feedlip should look like, not many MK IV owners will be able to get there by hammering and bending. The point is that if you have a magazine problem, Ruger will swap it for one that works. Just my personal opinion.

MNIE
Old 12-09-2019, 12:00 PM
mgriffin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
TW,

The magazine plastic floor plate slides on and off the bottom of the mag body. There is a small hole in that floor plate that allows a small pointed awl to compress the internal spring guide, thus releasing the floor plate. Be sure to go Slowly and be ready to catch the spring guide and spring, as it will try and launch across the room! From there, cleaning the internal mag body will be doable!

You keep the internal action clean...what are you using? Personally, I find One-Shot to work extremely well in both cleaning RF grit and leaving a micro fine dry lube that last a long time and minimizes future build-up!

I shoot CCI Mini-Mag HV 40gr 1235fps CPRN ammo...shoots Clean and Accurate! After several bricks through all of my Mk rimfires (MkIV, MkII, MkI, Standard), I've had Zero FTF, FTE or failure-to-feed issues!!

Ted
I'm a big fan of Hornady One Shot! I use it on everything I shoot. The exception is the BCG on my AR. Sill using oil on the BCG.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsEarl View Post
I am baffled by the number of posts that actually specify the "correct" magazine lip dimensions for the MK IV. I always appreciate the pioneering spirit, but have these members shared their conclusions with the factory? Did Ruger agree that the feed lip dimensions shown above are actually what the factory had in mind?
There's much I could share with Ruger that would result in more reliable guns leaving the factory. But the only contact info they publish is the customer service phone number. Do you have an email address for one of the design engineers?

At any rate, there is much more important things involved in feeding than the dimensions of the feed lips. IME, the most critical thing is how the mag is positioned in the mag well. But most people are more willing to attack the mags, while few will do the work of modifying the frame to correct the mag position.

Quote:
My own experience was that my magazines were feeding normally until I loaded 10 rounds. Then the top 2 rounds would spill out by themselves. The factory sent me replacements that work OK, but I did not take feedlip measurements old-to-new.
New Ruger mags are typically made with the feed lips parallel to each other. That is, a 0.200" gap in front and back. This works fine for most guns IF the front is not actually wider spaced than the rear. It sounds like your "problem mags" had exactly this problem.

Quote:
I agree that the design of .22lr feed lips is critical. I'll even grant that some experimentally minded members can improve the operation of their faulty MK IV magazines by bending, pounding and tweaking. The material is hard and strong spring steel. Spring steel has a memory, so even if you do bend it, it will try to return to its original shape. And, there are no suitable tools available to do this work in the first place, unless you are a tool and die maker.
I'll guarantee you that the mags are not made of spring steel. They can flex a tiny amount and spring back, but only a tiny amount. They will hold the adjustments you make just fine.

It really is a shame that there is no vendor making mag adjustment tools. I really would have thought that by now - VQ, TK, MA, Gunsmither, Clark, or somebody would be making/selling them. They're not rocket science and you don't need to be a tool and die maker to make one. I'm not, but I borrowed this "homemade" design from another RFC member:

It's just a bolt available at any hardware store that's been ground down and had a notch cut in it. I added some heat shrink tubing over the threads to make it more comfortable to use. I also cut some electrical tape to .210" and .190" widths and wrapped it onto the shaft. This allows me to easily adjust mags to my preferred (& proven) dimensions without needing to carry around my calipers.

Quote:
While it is noteworthy to understand what a proper feedlip should look like, not many MK IV owners will be able to get there by hammering and bending. The point is that if you have a magazine problem, Ruger will swap it for one that works. Just my personal opinion.

MNIE
Depending on Ruger to fix every little bug that comes up is great for people who aren't mechanically inclined. But many people also enjoy the challenge of fixing problems themselves, as they occur. The biggest problem with that is learning what exactly, the correct fix is. There's a lot of YouTube videos and other documentation out there that gives bad advice. I traded away 9 mags that had been "tuned" according to the TK video - for 3 mags that had not been. Rounding off the rear feed lips is a very bad idea IMO. Live and learn.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.google.com/search?q=maga...&client=safari

Several feed lip adjustment tools available here and also adjustment tips. I have one for my High Standard Victor. If a person wants to learn how to adjust feed lips, buy a High Standard.