Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 AM
Lunaticfringe81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 snap caps?

Any recommendations on a brand best suited for CZ rifles, or any rimfire guns for that matter? Is it still not advisable to dry-fire modern .22 ? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:04 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
CZ's are made to be able to be dry fired, that said I generally just throw a Crown Bolt #4-6 Wall Anchor in the chamber because there is always a box sitting on my desk and it hurts nothing. Cost practically nothing as well.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
Just like gmd1950(what a great year that was) says wall anchors are cheap and they work good, which reminds me my box is getting low i need to get another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 AM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is what I use.
I don't intentionally dry fire my rifles although there is controversy... and the factory says its alright to dry fire.
Not a problem with me.

These came from Academy Sports and cost very little.
They fit in the magazine like bullets.
Be careful when you eject them. They fly all over the place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2639.jpg (478.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2640.jpg (491.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used the red ones like CaptBill252 for a while, but found the harder plastic did not hold up well and started to break apart after only a few strikes. Based on the comments from others, I have also switched to using yellow wall anchors which are cheaper and they seem to hold up better.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:49 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CaptBill252 is correct, they fly like crazy. Quick1 has another good point, the red (Tipton) ones have a limited life, as I believe they all do. You can rotate them to extend their life, but they all eventually fail and need replacing.

Many people use these dry wall anchors due to the ultra low cost (currently $5.68 per 100 pk), which gets you plenty of them to let fly around, and destroy over time. Unlike dedicated 22lr "snap caps" most of the time these won't magazine feed, or no more than the 1st one will. With tube fed rifles forget it, don't even try "feeding" these.
https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-37032...%2C601&sr=8-3&
Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been hearing about these wall anchors for too long.
Gonna have to try them.
Next trip the the hardware store.

Something has got to stop the striker in the bolt when you / I dry fire.
I bet its something metal.
I'm using strikers.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:08 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As I was ordering a few other needed items at Amazon, I just now grabbed my 1st 100 pack of these. I'd been using, and abusing some red Tipton caps along with a few various "generic" dry wall anchors, but all are close to end of life. Another gentleman here ordered these and said they weren't as thick at the rim as the Amazon photo shows, but I need fresh ones so bad right now that I don't really care. With a 100 new ones, I'll be good to go for some time!

I agree CaptBill252 Sir, some kind of protection is wise, and in most rimfire designs, a necessity!
Even with CF weapons, you're hitting (usually) steel against more steel, sometimes it's hardened steel against softer steel, which is really bad news over time. Things eventually peen over which can lead to some dangerous problems over time (such as the firing pin "block" failing thus allowing the gun to fire when engaging the safety!!!) , thus with all of my de-cocker models, I hold the hammer as I engage the safety. If I dry fire a CF pistol, I cut little pieces of postcard thickness "cardboard", fold to double it, then insert it in front of the firing pin block so the hammer isn't hitting steel peening things.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:33 PM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My standard warning on the red plastic Tiptons: I've had the rim separate completely on ejection and leave the rest of the little bugger sitting there in the chamber. This was on a SAKO Finnfire with a very tight chamber, and the only way I could get it out was with a cleaning rod down the muzzle.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill252 View Post
I've been hearing about these wall anchors for too long.
Gonna have to try them.
Next trip the the hardware store.
I think they must have standardized colors, because everyone said "the yellow ones" & sure enough, those were the right size.

Got some white ones for the 22WMR(s). They fit the chamber just fine, but won't feed from the magazine like the yellow ones will on a few of my guns...
Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T, I had one Tipton partially tear the rim, but was able to grab it with tweezers & remove it, so you're right about that. This indicated (to me) that I re-used it a little too much...
S, Maybe Hillman has standard colors, possibly others, but I've got blue & gold ones this size, so you never know?
Old 12-05-2019, 04:55 PM
OldNeatStuff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto on the Wall Anchor. They work great. Cheap too.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Lunaticfringe81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all, I don't generally dryfire but it's good to know if cycling the action, etc.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Dummy rounds are primarily for testing the action-feeding,extraction,ejecting,etc. Not as snap caps.
I avoid dry firing in all types of guns. Buy the proper snap caps for shotguns and centerfire.Wall anchors are fine for rimfires.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:08 AM
IsaacCarlson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't use snap caps in mine. Just make sure the striker won't touch the barrel. CZ says it's fine.
I have dry fired mine thousands and thousands of times with no incidents. Just sayin....