Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Do you rattle when you walk?

3K views 52 replies 35 participants last post by  j.r. guerra in s. texas 
#1 ·
Somehow I got side tracked into watching "EDC" vids on YT the other day.

I had to wonder about a particular guy's load of stuff - Does one really need three flashlights, 4" neck knife, folder, multi-tool, paracord bracelet, mirror, whistle, magnifier, glass breaker, pepper spray, gun + mags, two ways to start a fire, monocular, 1st aid kit, etc. on his person while walking around in the city? I understand the usefulness of such items and have some of them, but they're in a bag in my truck.

In addition to watch, phone and wallet, I have a tiny knife and AAA flashlight on my key chain as my EDC. At work I add a folding knife and Fisher space pen (keep those in my desk) to my watch pocket. Carry pepper spray if I'm out walking or riding my bike at night. I carry several goodies on me while hunting or hiking out in the sticks, but that's not "everyday" carry.

#2 ·
I carry a folding knife on my belt everywhere I go and a little bottle opener/ blade screwdriver on my keychain. I also have a couple pens or a sharpie in my pocket and i never thought about it but have a novelty fish hook clip on my wallet. I don't rattle but my logger boots squeak.

#12 ·
At lunch yesterday a young (heavy on the young at least in looks) man was open carrying, he was glaring at all and sundry as if wanting some one to question him, sort of sad. I'm not a fan of open carry but its a right so I generally don't comment nor even pay much attention as I feel that's what some are looking for.

#13 ·
Two quarters for the pay phones that don't exist anymore. It used to be two dimes but they raised the price. Look where that got them.
A small Buck 503 lock blade. A key ring with 4 keys on it for truck and house. A Zippo lighter, a tri fold wallet, and the bifocals that spend half of their time in a shirt pocket. I only carry the wallet when going out.

No jingle but have wobbled a few times in the past.
Old habits can be hard to break.

#14 ·
A 3" (USA) Camo Buck folder in my left pocket. A 4" (USA) Camo Buck folder w/a pocket clip clipped in my right pocket. Truck keys w/fob on a carabiner on a belt loop. Money clip with a few $ and some change in one of the front pockets. A zipper billfold that is supposed to protect from RFID card readers. in the billfold is a credit card sized metal cutout with the little saw blade, and what appear to be lock pick thingies. Never had an issue with that going through any of the X-ray scanners. Never had any use for it either. :confused:

Hopefully, a clean handkerchief in a back pocket. The EDC inside the belt over back right side pocket. :)

VH :eek:man:

#17 ·
I rarely even carry a wallet.

Usually have my "office" (I-Phone) in my pocket. Don't like those belt-phone carriers.

Sunglasses on my head or under my collar.

Only time I leave a ball-cap at home is when I already have one on. (I alarmed TSA once in the airport when they asked me why I was wearing two hats--whoops). Those TSA folks are allowed to be nosey that way.

#23 ·
Seems like some guys are prepared for the Zombie apocalypse, a market meltdown, a tornado, and a famine all to hit at the same time if you see what they carry on their person all day long. Urban yuppie cowboys or homeless persons probably...

I have a CCW, but rarely carry in town unless I'm going into a particularly rough portion of town. Bad practice, I know, but with the clothes I wear it is sometimes difficult to hide my carry weapon. Most days I go pretty minimal- house and truck keys along with a Buck folder in my front pocket, wallet in my left rear pocket, and my Nitroglycerin tabs in my left front pocket at the insistence of my wife and children. I also carry a pen and Pentel mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket almost always. I have been amazed how many times I have needed a pen or pencil while out and about, especially while out shooting or hunting and saw something I wanted to write down right away, like a phone number to a piece of property I wanted to hunt, or a guy's name/number that I met while out and about to keep in contact with later....

If it isn't useful often, it doesn't end up in my pockets...

#25 · (Edited)
It is kind of strange since I started doing work from home. My carry has gotten a lot lighter but then I do not average more than a five mile range now.
My old bag had. The tool kit was because are maintenance person sucked and couldnt fix anything.
first aid kit
ratchet set
adjustable wrench
screwdriver
hairbrush
phone charger
usb cables
deodorant
toothbrush
multi plier
flashlight
scissors
bit set for multiplier
clip pocket knife
small swiss army knife
cellphone
eight inch tablet.
camelback bottle

Now most of the time all I carry is
cellphone
multiplier
flashlight
pocket knife
money clip and keys
Interesting how change in environment makes you rethink what you carry.
I don't jingle anymore.

#42 ·
OC has its advantages but its very rare here. As Sophia mentioned a lot depends on the environment one is in, and, CC does have the very important element of surprise in urban areas.

Rattle on.
Exactly Al (and Sophia). Living and working in the Big Schitty is a different deal than roaming around in the boonies. Stealth and situational awareness are good things to practice in the asphalt jungle.

One thing I will say, every employee here has their concealed carry license (including the ladies) and most of us pack every day. Ain't nobody gettin' our $87.50 in the petty cash drawer :D

Image below of our front entry...we believe in redundant systems!

Frank

Attachments

#34 ·
Yeah but it's not from a EDC. Just all the things I carry for work so I don't have to go back out to the truck. Someday I may start wearing cargo's but jeans make my butt look good. No, wait. My wife's butt looks good in jeans. I should ask here to get me some cargo's when my jeans wear out.

#35 ·
I carry as little as possible with me. Only carry a wallet if I'm driving or if I'm carrying my LC9s. Only take a cell phone (flip) if I'm driving alone, and about half the time I forget it anyway.

But I will say that I often jingle when I walk - my dance costumes make noise!

#36 ·
I sorta *rattle* . . .

. . . a small Mentos bottle with Leatherman CS Style, BIC lighter, and SAK pen inside it in pant right pocket. In opposite pocket have one of my EDC pocket knives, often a SAK, sometimes a muskrat or stockman pattern knife. A SOG Crosscut multi-tool in my trucker's wallet in one of the pockets, along with sewing bobbin of wire wrapped on it. My coworkers ask me did I remember to bring a parachute - my reply is I used to, but the life raft took up too much room . . .

Wait - I'm not done yet. :p

A small brass USGI aviator's compass with a SAK Classic on a thin paracord necklace. Threaded on this neck cord is a sail needle wrapped in plastic inside a coffee straw threaded on that. That I carry EVERYWHERE, removing it only when I take a shower.

No wonder my hips sometimes hurt . . .

Why a compass ? Well, I sometimes need to go to job sites and field measure existing rooms. Some of these are pretty large and you have to orient yourself in an environment you are never in. Being able to determine "the North wall has a base and wall cabinet on right room corner".

So yeah, a bit of rattle here . . .

#38 ·
Just what I carry on my person.
Every time I leave the house: Wallet. Key ring with car key and fob, house keys, 3 keys for work, bottle opener and P-38. 3" Buck knife. Phone. Can of dip.
Occasionally: 9mm CC depending on where I'm going.
Occasionally if at night: small AA light.
If I take the truck: Truck key.
Got other stuff stashed in the vehicles if needed.

#43 ·
I'll bet the OP's guy is also one that thinks the only SD caliber starts with a "4". Probably has camo underwear you thankfully didn't see.

Besides a wallet, I carry seven keys, a Victorinox Cadet (two blades, openers, and a screwdriver), leather change purse, and a comb. Gun in a bad area, rare around here.

#47 ·
After 40 years on the railroad I had amassed quite the collection of keys. Backoes, dozers, trucks, offices and signal and switch keys. The day I retired about 5 pounds of brass was left on the desk. I seldom carried more the the company vehicle keys, the office key and locks to enter the instrument cases. It took a few months to leave the leatherman on the dresser. Now, I seldom carry more than my car fob on a ring shared with a 17HH dummy load. Retirement is great. ( Notice cash was omitted from the normal carry load)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.