Takedown Build Questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2017, 04:57 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Takedown Build Questions



Log in to see fewer ads
Hi all,

I almost bought a 10/22 takedown (stainless with threaded bbl), but it turned out after a week they canceled my order. Now it has me re-evaluating what direction I should go.

I've been interested in the takedown model with the X-22 Backpacker stock coming out, so now I got to thinking, if I'm going to replace the stock and need a stainless threaded barrel, maybe I would end up replacing the barrel...is there a way to do a from scratch build these days? Can you find a complete or semi-complete receiver and add a bbl & stock to it?

I'm open to options here, mostly looking for a lightweight but decently accurate backpacking rifle, so I won't be going too crazy with benchrest competitions or anything.

I saw a totally stripped receiver on GunBroker for a decent price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635036478

But I'm not really sure how much in parts it would take me to get it working, I guess I would need a bolt and full trigger assembly, anything else?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Smithjss

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
7
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is! I'm about to post my first thread which covers one option. Should be up in about an hour or so. Have to sort out the pic hosting first!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,125
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droshi View Post
Hi all,

I almost bought a 10/22 takedown (stainless with threaded bbl), but it turned out after a week they canceled my order. Now it has me re-evaluating what direction I should go.

I've been interested in the takedown model with the X-22 Backpacker stock coming out, so now I got to thinking, if I'm going to replace the stock and need a stainless threaded barrel, maybe I would end up replacing the barrel...is there a way to do a from scratch build these days? Can you find a complete or semi-complete receiver and add a bbl & stock to it?

I'm open to options here, mostly looking for a lightweight but decently accurate backpacking rifle, so I won't be going too crazy with benchrest competitions or anything.

I saw a totally stripped receiver on GunBroker for a decent price:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635036478

But I'm not really sure how much in parts it would take me to get it working, I guess I would need a bolt and full trigger assembly, anything else?

You will need
Receiver (TD model)
Stock
Takedown barrel
Bolt & guide rod
Complete trigger
Receiver pins
Takedown screw
Optics (scope or iron sights)

That will get you a complete rifle. Then of course there's other things like a sling, bipod, etc. But of course those are optional things.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-04-2017, 01:28 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys, the VQ takedown lightweight barrel looks like something I'm interested in, as well as the mentioned Magpul stock.

So right now other than the above parts (& stripped receiver) I need:
The above list is assuming I would just go with the basic stuff and not higher precision parts, but is about $100.

So $100 receiver, $100 parts, $100 stock, and $280 bbl gives me everything except optics and mount it looks like. Plus shipping and transfer fees it's looking like around $600 to me. Not a bad price, though I was hoping it would come to under $500, it's still cheaper I believe than buying a retail rifle and throwing out the barrel and stock.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also I just noticed, that guy's listing includes the takedown screw and 3 receiver pins, so that saves me $8!

Either way, unless there's another suggestion (or I happen to find a used gun for under $200 locally), I'm thinking this is the best way. The other parts such as bolt and charging handle aren't that expensive and could upgrade them as well. Mostly this would be a backpacking field rifle so other than the barrel I wasn't planning to go too crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:17 PM
saipan59
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2013
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
66
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droshi View Post
So $100 receiver, $100 parts, $100 stock, and $280 bbl gives me everything except optics and mount it looks like. Plus shipping and transfer fees it's looking like around $600 to me. Not a bad price, though I was hoping it would come to under $500, it's still cheaper I believe than buying a retail rifle and throwing out the barrel and stock.
Doesn't the TD-Lite meet all the requirements? Mine cost me $543 out-the-door. Plus $65 for the BX-trigger.

Pete
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It might, but how is the accuracy compared to the VQ barrel? Also swapping the stock alone puts it up to around $650 anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 PM
saipan59
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2013
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
66
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droshi View Post
It might, but how is the accuracy compared to the VQ barrel? Also swapping the stock alone puts it up to around $650 anyway.
I don't have any accuracy data to quote - maybe the VQ is fundamentally more accurate - I don't know. But I'm thinking that with any sort of TD, other variables get introduced, so high-end accuracy is not likely unless you never remove the barrel. I could be wrong.
And just wondering: What does the Backpacker stock do that is important (and worth paying $100+ for), compared to the TD-Lite's modular stock?
BTW, I spent $18 to get the short-pull high-comb for mine, to make it overall as compact as possible. The gun comes with low and high comb, but both with normal pull length.
Pete

Edit: The mag storage in the Backpacker seems useful...

Last edited by saipan59; 04-04-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,125
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I think it's more a matter of preference. Yeah the VQ barrel probably is more accurate, but not enough to notice for the intended use. But if your going to spend a little extra on something the barrel is usually a good idea. I have 3 TD's and none of them are in a factory stock simply because I prefer the Hogue and Magpul TD stocks, they just feel better to me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saipan59 View Post
Doesn't the TD-Lite meet all the requirements? Mine cost me $543 out-the-door. Plus $65 for the BX-trigger.

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by saipan59 View Post
I don't have any accuracy data to quote - maybe the VQ is fundamentally more accurate - I don't know. But I'm thinking that with any sort of TD, other variables get introduced, so high-end accuracy is not likely unless you never remove the barrel. I could be wrong.
And just wondering: What does the Backpacker stock do that is important (and worth paying $100+ for), compared to the TD-Lite's modular stock?
BTW, I spent $18 to get the short-pull high-comb for mine, to make it overall as compact as possible. The gun comes with low and high comb, but both with normal pull length.
Pete

Edit: The mag storage in the Backpacker seems useful...
The Magpul Backpacker allows the barrel to store and lock into the stock. Maybe it's a gimmick, but it seems useful that the parts would lock together and that the breech end is totally covered (though muzzle is open).

I've seen some accuracy tests on the VQ barrel and it looked VERY good, not only that, but this guy reviewed the barrel by also breaking it down between EACH shot, to me it seems impressive, but maybe I'm easily impressed.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-ri...-takedown.html
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:31 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I think it's more a matter of preference. Yeah the VQ barrel probably is more accurate, but not enough to notice for the intended use. But if your going to spend a little extra on something the barrel is usually a good idea. I have 3 TD's and none of them are in a factory stock simply because I prefer the Hogue and Magpul TD stocks, they just feel better to me.
Compared to the factory barrel, it seemed like this thread told a different story:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=600417

Not sure how the Lite barrel compares...but unless it's the same as the VQ, why not go with the VQ since the price is pretty much the same combined with a choice of the Magpul Hunter or Backpacker stock?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,125
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I think it's more a matter of preference. Yeah the VQ barrel probably is more accurate, but not enough to notice for the intended use. But if your going to spend a little extra on something the barrel is usually a good idea. I have 3 TD's and none of them are in a factory stock simply because I prefer the Hogue and Magpul TD stocks, they just feel better to me.
Compared to the factory barrel, it seemed like this thread told a different story:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=600417

Not sure how the Lite barrel compares...but unless it's the same as the VQ, why not go with the VQ since the price is pretty much the same combined with a choice of the Magpul Hunter or Backpacker stock?

I probably should have said IMO the VQ barrel would probably be a better option. That is what I meant.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
droshi

Join Date: 
Apr 2017
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I probably should have said IMO the VQ barrel would probably be a better option. That is what I meant.
No problem, I did get the message! How much better is the question haha.

I have also thought of just buying stock and seeing what accuracy I get, but if it's really disappointing I'd probably feel like I wasted money as opposed to just building it right from the start.

I have a M&P 15-22 for a fun plinker and training gun...technically it also kinda breaks down. But I'm really hoping to find better accuracy from the 10/22 than the 15-22. I'm guessing it's only realistic with an aftermarket barrel.

I'll check into more options, but if anyone has other ideas to check into let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 PM
Nick7274's Avatar
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Location: 
Central Ma.
Posts: 
3,125
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I probably should have said IMO the VQ barrel would probably be a better option. That is what I meant.
No problem, I did get the message! How much better is the question haha.

I have also thought of just buying stock and seeing what accuracy I get, but if it's really disappointing I'd probably feel like I wasted money as opposed to just building it right from the start.

I have a M&P 15-22 for a fun plinker and training gun...technically it also kinda breaks down. But I'm really hoping to find better accuracy from the 10/22 than the 15-22. I'm guessing it's only realistic with an aftermarket barrel.

I'll check into more options, but if anyone has other ideas to check into let me know. Thanks!

From what it sounds like you want, you could just buy a stock rifle, but it doesn't seem like you'll be satisfied with it. If your anything like me by the time your done you will have changed everything out to aftermarket and then be left with the oem rifle that you spent $300- $600 on (depending on what model). I think your best bet is to get a receiver and go from their. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want. In the end it will probably save you some $ going this route. Good luck whatever you end up deciding on. Let us know when you do.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Nickshawn

Join Date: 
Dec 2016
Posts: 
37
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I were going to do it all over I'd start with a stripped receiver and go from there.

As it is I just bought one (stripped receiver) off of GB since I now have all the parts to build back a stock takedown....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x