Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:08 PM
moosemike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI maxi mag 40 TMJ

My Walmart just got some of this in. I normally use the maxi mag 40 hp but I imagine these TMJ's will have the same POI. Is there any hunting applications for these TMJ's? The package says target only.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 PM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They're basically full metal jacket. They will poke small holes. They will not expand like a hollow point or game point.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Goodman1966
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
moosemike, I use them for hunting hogs on a WMA. They do expend a little once they get put into the brain of the pig. Killed 11 last year and three this year. Recovered several and they had expanded to a little more than double their diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman1966 View Post
Recovered several and they had expanded to a little more than double their diameter.
With that performance, I'd be of the opinion that the FMJ really isn't doing the job it's supposed to. FMJs were simply never designed to expand. They are designed for a simple "Through and Through" wound channel. Read injure, wound, not destroy/kill the target.

CCI knows what they are doing and I'd have to guess that is why the Target markings. The Target markings also explains the expansion since it would appear these weren't designed for Hunting. ALL that being said, it sounds like they are working well for you. Have to hope CCI doesn't catch on and redesign the jacket. That is before I get some!!!

Just reread the post and made the mistake of saying FMJ and not TMJ. Maybe the TMJ stands for Target Metal Jacket.

Last edited by KKG515; 01-05-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 PM
moosemike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It stands for Total Metal Jacket.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
It stands for Total Metal Jacket.
Don't get me wrong, I know what it stands for. I've even seen the process. As I said, I made a mistake. I do like the way they perform because they aren't like the FMJ. Which generally isn't really FULL but with exposed lead on the bottom.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive used these in the past for rabbits to minimize meat damage...head shots for the win!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM
OUToftheWOODS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Moosemike,

Read this:
http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/09...nters.html?m=1
Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are okay if it's a BIG target, but my 455 shoots them like a 22gauge. It's pretty pitiful in my rifle.

Then again, so is everything else except the Hornady 30s, which are about as good as mediocre Long Rifle ammo in the same rifle.

I no longer have any interest in the cartridge. I can shoot my .22 Hornet for less money and have more fun, and much greater accuracy with more power. I'm done with it.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Point of Impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
My Walmart just got some of this in. I normally use the maxi mag 40 hp but I imagine these TMJ's will have the same POI. Is there any hunting applications for these TMJ's? The package says target only.
At least I have found very little, if any, variation campared the the HPs. Of course they're hunting applications, unless you're a liability attorney. If so, then you have to follow what's printed on the box. I use these on all manner of small game. Hit a squirrel, bunny, groundhog, fox, coyote, wild pig in the right spot and down it'll go. Bigger game will drop too, but that may not be lawful, nor suitable.

Last edited by Bradical; 04-30-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not used these for hunting, but for target work they are easily the most accurate 22WMR round I have found, across my Marlin XT22-M, my RAR, and my CZ 452. The CCI JHP 40g rounds come in a fairly close 2nd.

Last edited by cabin22; 05-02-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile CCI maxi mag 40 TMJ

My Fellow Shooters:
I, too, fancied the CCI 40 gr FMJ for headshots on small hogs until I encountered one and found that its ceaseless grubbing head movements in low growth gave no opening for a sure shot at only 40-50 yards. I had to pass-up the shot. Then a hog hunting friend about my age (mid 70s) got a tick bite and Lyme disease which utterly wrecked him. Having family responsibilities, I locked my Cold Steel boar spears away. I have also contented myself with range time, bug repellent and a careful watch for ticks. The CCI 40 gr FMG is tolerable on a 50 ft. bull at 50 yards from my iron-sighted SS Favorite model 30GM but otherwise my days as an outdoorsman are about over while younger family members need my help. I do feel this round needs a stronger jacket for those headshots. Take care.
Respectfully,
William Harper
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKG515 View Post
With that performance, I'd be of the opinion that the FMJ really isn't doing the job it's supposed to. FMJs were simply never designed to expand. They are designed for a simple "Through and Through" wound channel. Read injure, wound, not destroy/kill the target.

CCI knows what they are doing and I'd have to guess that is why the Target markings. The Target markings also explains the expansion since it would appear these weren't designed for Hunting. ALL that being said, it sounds like they are working well for you. Have to hope CCI doesn't catch on and redesign the jacket. That is before I get some!!!

Just reread the post and made the mistake of saying FMJ and not TMJ. Maybe the TMJ stands for Target Metal Jacket.
With well placed head shots this makes the WMR lethal. A light weight inexpensive round which gets the job done. If it can kill a hog, it can kill just about anything else. Not starting any debates about ethical rounds, just a comment that it has the ability to do the job. I would not push it out past 75 yards and even 75 and under I would not take any low percentage shot. I know of animal control people who routinely remove deer with the .22 WMR. If it can take a hog with the thick skull they have it will take a deer also. 400 yards, of course not but many who knock the .22 WRM are also taking long range shots they should not attempt with their skill level with anything. If an arrow works so will a .22 WMR FMJ.

Last edited by smokey9701; 06-13-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:47 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
They are okay if it's a BIG target, but my 455 shoots them like a 22gauge. It's pretty pitiful in my rifle.

Then again, so is everything else except the Hornady 30s, which are about as good as mediocre Long Rifle ammo in the same rifle.

I no longer have any interest in the cartridge. I can shoot my .22 Hornet for less money and have more fun, and much greater accuracy with more power. I'm done with it.
Agree!! I bought a few boxes back in the beginning of the scare, NONE of my .22WMR's shot them worth a hoot. I was glad to burn them up with my PMR-30....good riddens, won't buy again.

DR
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 PM
camodave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What exactly is a full metal jacket on a .22 WMR

I cannot imagine that a metal jacket on a bullet designed to leave the muzzle at 2000 or less fps. would be anything other than incredibly thin. And with a thin metal jacket it is no wonder they deform when shot into something as heavy as a hog skull. Sounds to me like they do a great job they were never designed to do.
My guess is that they were originally conceived to allow reduced pelt damage on fur bearers. In the days of low fur prices CCI simply made a wise change on their recommendation for use.