Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 PM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
YOU'RE CHEATING!!!

Just kidding, I had to throw that in there. Sorry. I have been following this thread and it makes me want to try it. You are on the verge, you will get that 250.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go ahead and shoot the USBR at 25 yards. Shooting promoter Joe Haller started that about 20 or more years ago. He promoted all kinds of shooting for 50++ years before his death in 2012.

The 25 yards arrived cause he noted that shooters would show up and shoot at 50 and maybe get a just over 200 (210-225) and then thed never be seen again.

I take a few USBR targets to a match where we shoot IBS. Othedr shooters will take a target for "practice", maybe. I find it interesting to try and transpose the IBS holes to the USBR. I find that my 250 IBS would equate to 235-237 USBR, or so.

I asked if we could use USBR some match. Not a lot of support.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:15 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post

The 25 yards arrived cause he noted that shooters would show up and shoot at 50 and maybe get a just over 200 (210-225) and then thed never be seen again.

I take a few USBR targets to a match where we shoot IBS. Othedr shooters will take a target for "practice", maybe. .
Just this week my brother was shooting at one of my 12 bull practice targets at 25 yds. and made the remark , those little circles in the middle are tough to hit .
I said , yep ! Thats what makes it so much fun
I plan on doing more fifty yard shooting once I reach my goal of shooting a 250 @ 25 yds. But when the wind is gusty , Ill be back at 25 for trigger time practice. Kirby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 03:20 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like shooting the USBR. Then when I shot the IBS it is easier since Ive been "aiming smaller."

I had my first 250 at 25 yards autographed by the other shooters that day,. Then I had it framed.. Still have it.

I believe one shooter had a 249 on the USBR at 50 yards. That is the club record and it was shot at least 15 yrs ago.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like shooting the USBR. Then when I shot the IBS it is easier since Ive been "aiming smaller."

I had my first 250 at 25 yards autographed by the other shooters that day,. Then I had it framed.. Still have it.

At the last IBS match I was in good shape after the first shot. It just barely made a 10-wow..
Old 09-26-2018, 06:13 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:

At the last IBS match I was in good shape after the first shot. It just barely made a 10-wow..
My last 249 , I dropped one just barely out on the first bull . Guess I settled down after that, even though I wasnt sure if itd plug or not . Kirby
Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kirby`s 250

I see that you are getting closer and more consistent, so it is just a matter of time. Even at 25 yards, shooting a 250 is a lot more difficult than most people think. Here in my state the wind blows so often that even thinking of trying at 50 would be pretty rare. One of these days it`ll just happen. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I see that you are getting closer and more consistent, so it is just a matter of time. Even at 25 yards, shooting a 250 is a lot more difficult than most people think. Here in my state the wind blows so often that even thinking of trying at 50 would be pretty rare. One of these days it'll just happen. Good luck!"

So kirby999 I have a question for you. Really this is a question to every one.

In your quest to shoot a 250 on a 25yd USBR target, how may attempts will be enough?

I've shot many of the RFC contests over the last several years, and I've limited my attempts to a dozen or less.

I think you can either do it, or not.
If not, then figure out why, and don't just keep pounding away until you get that one in a thousand target.

Once you have major break through in any area (technique, wind reading, set up, ammo. ect.) then of course you should give it another go.

If you do finally do it after a large number of attempts, then it needs to be backed up.

This is just how my brain works, and may very well not make sense to you or others.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:59 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
So kirby999 I have a question for you. Really this is question to every one.

In your quest to shoot a 250 on a USBR target, how may attempts will be enough?

I've shot many of the RFC contests over the last several years, and I've limited my attempts to a dozen or less.

I think you can either do it, or not.

Now if you have major break through in any area (technique, wind reading, set up, ammo. ect.) then of course you should give it another go.

If you do finally do it after a large number of attempts, then it needs to be backed up.

This is just how my brain works, and may very well not make sense to you or others.

Smooth
Smooth , when I reach my goal and shoot that 250 , my next goal will be to shoot a 250- with 25X’s , of course . .
I own several rimfire rifles , mostly Rugers and CZ’s . Got a Savage on order .
. All of the work that been done on them was done by me . What little attempts at bedding usually amounts to aluminum tape , epoxy putty , cardboard strips , and rubber inner tube.
I don’t own what could be called a “benchrest “rifle .
I suck at trying to read and trying to outsmart the wind .
So , I’ll most likely shoot the Green Monster at 25 yards and enjoy the challenge of trying to poke out that tiny ten ring . It really thrills me to see my bullet center punch those bulls .
Like the middle bulls here .
I enjoy the journey , and I’ll keep trying until I make it . Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 09-26-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:17 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All guns have 250s in them. One just has to work to find em.
My best is 250-19x twice in a row at a match(25 yards). The guy next to me had a 19x and I was sure I could beat him. Didnt.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
All guns have 250s in them. One just has to work to find em.
My best is 250-19x twice in a row at a match(25 yards). The guy next to me had a 19x and I was sure I could beat him. Didnt.
Id have to frame those targets . 19Xs ! Awesome ! Kirby
Old 10-03-2018, 10:37 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
From a paper punching perspective, I doubt there is a more challenging target.. or should you call it frustrating target. Having played around w/green monsters from their get-go I honestly don't think a harder target has ever been put forth to 'ace'. I'm not a serious bench competitor, but the GM at 50 is my target of choice for all RF's w/optics. Can't shoot 25 yds. seriously at the moment because of it being an overhead suspended target mover system w/the backs moving about in the wind(s). At 50, I can shoot at a stationary target, but can't use irons well enough to see the bulls on a GM. Just wot it is.

I admire your continuing perseverance @ 25 and know from your remarks that you well understand the difficulties encountered. They are, in fact, quite real.. much more so than most realize. There is nothing easy about your goal of shooting a 250 at 25 yards and it is exponentially harder at 50, but its always good fun trying. A card N of 240 @ 50 is hard to come by w/our conditions; not impossible by any means, just hard fought w/a good dose of luck thrown in. And that is inclusive of some purpose built rifles belonging to others. Mine are more about having fun trying. I've lobbed some good ones, splattered some horrificz & shot more than a modicum of meh's in my time trying. It is never not fun.

Good thread! Thanks!

Last edited by wookness; 10-03-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
From a paper punching perspective, I doubt there is a more challenging target.. or should you call it frustrating target. Having played around w/green monsters from their get-go I honestly don't think a harder target has ever been put forth to 'ace'. I'm not a serious bench competitor, but the GM at 50 is my target of choice for all RF's w/optics. Can't shoot 25 yds. seriously at the moment because of it being an overhead suspended target mover system w/the backs moving about in the wind(s). At 50, I can shoot at a stationary target, but can't use irons well enough to see the bulls on a GM. Just wot it is.

I admire your continuing perseverance @ 25 and know from your remarks that you well understand the difficulties encountered. They are, in fact, quite real.. much more so than most realize. There is nothing easy about your goal of shooting a 250 at 25 yards and it is exponentially harder at 50, but its always good fun trying. A card N of 240 @ 50 is hard to come by w/our conditions; not impossible by any means, just hard fought w/a good dose of luck thrown in. And that is inclusive of some purpose built rifles belonging to others. Mine are more about having fun trying. I've lobbed some good ones, splattered some horrificz & shot more than a modicum of meh's in my time trying. It is never not fun.

Good thread! Thanks!
Thanks to someone that gets it . I enjoy the challenge of the USBR target , aka , the Green Monster at 25 and 50 yards .
I dont think anyone has ever shot a 250-25X at any distance. If they have Ive never heard about it . Too many things to go wrong . Youd have to shoot 25 perfect shots from 25 different positions . Kirby
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Thanks to someone that gets it . I enjoy the challenge of the USBR target , aka , the Green Monster at 25 and 50 yards .
I dont think anyone has ever shot a 250-25X at any distance. If they have Ive never heard about it . Too many things to go wrong . Youd have to shoot 25 perfect shots from 25 different positions . Kirby

Kirby, I've been up since early am with my neck bothering me, so decided to do some RFC reading. Happened up on your thread. First of all, I want to congratulate you for your fine progress. I'm one of the folks that "gets" what you are doing and why you are doing it. Back when I was a teenager, I found myself doing what a lot of other guys wanted to do instead of what I really enjoyed doing. I outgrew that and now do things the way I enjoy doing them when I have that option. So, if shooting until you get that 250 at 25 is your goal, then I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of it - you don't have to justify your personal goals to other folks. I don't know that I've actually tried the USBR at 25 yards, but I may find time to give it a shot.

I'm familiar with the USBR as my club shot that target for years; in fact, we were a USBR sanctioned club up until a couple of years ago or so. My personal best (at fifty yards) was a 243 in factory class with an Anschutz 1710. But one of our members, Jason Lang, shot a 250 at fifty yards - that was in Unlimited class. Still, those are rare birds. Here's a pic of his target:

I really liked the USBR, but unfortunately, our club dropped the USBR sanctioning and switched to an easier target - the IR 50/50. To be fair, one of the reasons was that not only can the USBR be discouraging to beginners, it is harder to score accurately with a scoring plug due to the paper quality of the target.

I'll stay tuned so I can congratulate you when you hit that 250.....

James
Old 10-05-2018, 04:46 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Although very hot today , in the upper 80’s , the wind wasn’t that bad all of the time . We had an occasional gust you had to watch out for , but mostly it was around 2-3mph .
So , I decided to shoot where the big boys shoot . Yep fifty yards .
I was using a build I put together for today’s shooting . A SuperStock . A laminated Ruger target stock with a 17” Green Mountain Blue Heavy tapered Barrel . JWH bolt . Scope was an inexpensive (cheap) Tasco 6-24x40 Varmint scope set @24X .
I used CCI SV , which was shooting best for me today out of the Rugers .
Front Caldwell BR Rock front , Protektor rear .
I’m not jumping up and down because I think I can much better , but I shot a 215-2X . I figured if I could break 200 I was doing ok .
Definitely will be trying this again whenever the wind cooperates . I’d like to shoot at least a 225 @ fifty . Kirby
Edit : I know the target says 215-1X bit I missed one X when adding them up.

Last edited by kirby999; 10-05-2018 at 11:14 PM.