Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Trigger options?

For years, I didn't see the appeal of a 10/22, but I've decided I want a really high end semi auto.

That being said, I've been reading all I can trying to educate myself on the 10/22 world, but specifically in the trigger department. From what I can tell, the overwhelming preference is a KIDD 2 stage. That is really, really a turn off. I have zero desire to have a 2 stage trigger and even then, 6 oz is heavier than I'd like. In a perfect world, I'd put a BR Jewell trigger on there, but that doesn't seem to be feasible.

Is there some option I've been missing? Is wanting a single stage trigger that breaks ≤ 5oz completely unrealistic?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 PM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
5 oz trigger

when the Robertson's appear clean
shaven
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Too light for semi auto. I too like the single stage but 1.5 lbs is great for plinking.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This rifle won't be used for plinking. Now that I think of it, none of my rifles are. Considering how I use my rifles and I am assuming that the trigger will need to reset before the next round will be fired, I can't see the poundage being a concern. Now if it shoots fully auto, I will definitely agree there.

2 stage will annoy me to no end though 6oz would be fine for off hand shooting, it's too heavy to shoot free recoil on a bench.

This is depressing me.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wish I lived closer to you... Yeah I was afraid of the Kidd 2 stage till I shot one. The take up is so small as to be un-noticeable but once you are on the sear of stage 2, be ready for the rifle to go bang.

They really aren't long big gap triggers, just a 'smidge of take up and bang...

I have difficulties with SS triggers now the Kidd 2 stages are just sooo sweet!

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
I wish I lived closer to you... Yeah I was afraid of the Kidd 2 stage till I shot one. The take up is so small as to be un-noticeable but once you are on the sear of stage 2, be ready for the rifle to go bang.

They really aren't long big gap triggers, just a 'smidge of take up and bang...

I have difficulties with SS triggers now the Kidd 2 stages are just sooo sweet!
I'd love to have some bench time with one. You could bring it and anything else you wanted and we'd burn some hours at my indoor range.

I just have a strong feeling that 6oz total will be too heavy for a true free recoil. I would like to be able to mirror how I shoot my 40X with the 1.5oz Jewell on it. Shooting it off hand won't be as much of an issue. I have a Savage around 5oz and a Vostok 3-6oz, both single stage and both feel wonderful though nothing beats a Jewell I'm afraid.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep reading. It isn't just the correct trigger you need if you want high end. The chamber, bolt face and barrel...........on and on are all upgradable for added precision. You can buy entire rifles by several companies already at match grade for over a thousand dollars. It's still a 1022 but even the receiver is perfected further by aftermarket if that is what you want. It's not all about trigger weight.

Do you want a stock with it? Want it bedded? Want fancy high end walnut or a precision laminate? It goes on and on.

I saw a used aftermarket 1022 for $1400 online.

I've owned 1022s a long time but only started playing around with modifications about ten years. There's no set answer to your question. Just jump in and hang on.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm plenty experienced with high end. Little that isn't high end interests me to be honest.

I fully understand that there are many aspects to building a "high end' 10/22, but I'm addressing the trigger now as it is a deal breaker if it doesn't suit me.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My Kidd 2 stage is set 3oz & 3oz and wow after awhile, I have a hard time shooting a Kidd 1lb trigger... You get on that second stage sear and it is just right there!

I set that rifle in the rest and sit there behind the scope. I put my finger on the trigger and get my breathing right... bang.. My Kidd Rifle is heavy enough as to be rock steady

I realize the Kidd trigger is a huge investment but I don't know anyone who has one that isn't beyond thrilled with it...

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Old 09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OOps sorry missed something

Yeah you will be hard pressed to match that 1.5oz Jewell trigger in a 10/22

The Kidd 3/3 really feels like a crisp 3oz trigger w/take up. To me they just feel like a SS trigger w/too much take up.

The lightest I've shot is a Kenyon trigger I believe set at 2oz.

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Yeah... that's going to be hard. I have a 2 stage Kidd that is around 7/5 oz and feel it is too light sometimes. Definitely too light for hunting. Then again that build weighs about 12 lbs!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My main bench rifle is around 15 or so pounds with barrel attachments. This rifle would more likely be finished around 10lbs flat though.

As far as take up is concerned, that's why I do not want it for this. I don't have a rifle that has any take up at all and am not really keen on having any short of doing a heavy two stage trigger for Hunter class Silhouette.

I was floored at the lack of this sort of option considering how expansive the 10/22 crowd is in every other way. I see many builds that were titled as benchrest and considering that the Jewell is the standard trigger that there would be something comparable to it for the 10/22. I read that Jewell did make a trigger for the 10/22 some number of years ago, but that's all I know.

I realize that my preference is in the minority, but I honestly expected it to be available though.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm sorry that the semi-auto world doesn't meet your expectations. The way everything is actuated, with the bolt and hammer slamming around, such a light trigger would not be safe. There are lots of things I'd like to have in the world, too, but reality gets in the way.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Amen! Like I'd like to have that rifle in my safe.

That ain't happenin' either!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
I'm sorry that the semi-auto world doesn't meet your expectations. The way everything is actuated, with the bolt and hammer slamming around, such a light trigger would not be safe. There are lots of things I'd like to have in the world, too, but reality gets in the way.
I just don't buy that.

Jewell had a very light single stage trigger for the 10/22 some number of years ago. Not quite as light as I would like (6oz), but I would compromise for it out of necessity. I realize it has been removed from the market and from what I can tell it was from users tampering with it enabling the rifle to be fully automatic. That is clearly a problem of liability for them and the safety of the public. I have no desire to do that. I also completely get that a single stage 6oz or lighter trigger is far too light for the average person. In fact, the majority of people that handle my rifles cannot believe how light the triggers are and are shocked when I inform them that they're handling my heaviest trigger (2lbs for NRA Hunter Silhouette). The fact of them handling the heaviest trigger not being a coincidence either.

If it's not available due to demand, I get that. If it's not available due to liability of the low pull, I don't as there are too many triggers out there that are 1-3oz. If it's from a a liability perspective of tampering for a fully auto weapon, I don't blame them a bit and would have made the exact same move. Especially in today's time.

Again, I am simply shocked that there isn't a presence of this sort of trigger considering how many 10/22 builds I see that are intended for "benchrest". I didn't say anyone was wrong for liking the Kidd trigger. I really just don't want it at all.
Closed Thread