SR 22 Warranty-Voiding Modifications? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Jwp721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Not sure how many rounds 35Rem has ran through his SR. He said in another thread he had gotten it used in a trade, so I guess we will never know. Mine has at least 6,000 rounds through it and the lever looks brand new. It was test fired Feb of 2013 with a 361 serial number. Until this post I have only see issues with those fired Aug 2012 or earlier. Weird.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It was used very little prior to my purchase. I have put no more than 650 rounds through it, I would guess.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Jwp721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad they took care of you. And glad mine has gone well past the 650 range with no issues. Knock on wood! lol.

Looks same as it did several thousand rounds ago:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't even know what I'm looking at in that photo.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 PM
triz
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Remington View Post
I don't even know what I'm looking at in that photo.
Robots nipple.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Jwp721

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lol. You are looking at the take down lever looking from the muzzle end downward. This is the area that would be taking the blunt of the impact from the slide as it operates.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking i agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
A lot of us have been discussing this type of issue over the past eight or ten years, "don't they test these firearms before releasing to the public?" and it isn't unique to Ruger. I'm seeing it across the board. I won't be first in line to buy any new firearm these days. I'll let you guys be the beta testers and sit back and listen to what you have to report,...... for at least a year. Part of the problem is that all of the manufacturers are rolling out new models like they are going out of style. M1911
i dont buy any new gun when it first comes out, i dont want to do the testing and finding all the bugs! a good example is my chiappa .22 M-1 carbine. i wanted one REAL BAD but the early production guns were a disaster! everyone who bought one experienced MANY defects/problems. i sat back and watched for a couple of years until factory got all the bugs worked out, then i bought one, making sure it was NEW PRODUCTION,not a left over bad one. there were a couple of things to look at to either accept or reject the gun. i have had mine about 1 and a half years now and i am thrilled with this little carbine! runs 100% perfect, as it has from the minute i took it out of the box! a blast to shoot, likes any ammo, and is very accurate.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was a good thread on here at one time regarding the broken take down levers with pictures, O ring installation, pictures of broken levers, good pictures of how the lever fit, how it worked and how to inspect it. I can't find it here anymore. It did show exactly how the lever stopped the slide and what was causing the problem. It would have been an easy fix for Ruger and I suppose they have fixed it now. Wonder what happened to the thread? M1911
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Update: I was mistaken when I said the gun was repaired and enroute. That was something else I had coming from Ruger. Cust serv called today and said my aftermarket TT barrel was being replaced with a Ruger barrel, and that the TT was "highly leaded."

I called and helped the customer service guy realize that in the same box I also included the original Ruger barrel, and he promised to return my twin tech barrel as well.

Regarding the leading, I'm a bit confused, as I only shot four magazines through the twin tech before the lever broke, and they were all CCI Mini mag rounds.

Anyway, he acknowledged a defect in the takedown lever for my model, and said the new takedown levers include different plungers and springs that won't have any issues.

Works for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:37 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Remington View Post
Update: I was mistaken when I said the gun was repaired and enroute. That was something else I had coming from Ruger. Cust serv called today and said my aftermarket TT barrel was being replaced with a Ruger barrel, and that the TT was "highly leaded."

I called and helped the customer service guy realize that in the same box I also included the original Ruger barrel, and he promised to return my twin tech barrel as well.

Regarding the leading, I'm a bit confused, as I only shot four magazines through the twin tech before the lever broke, and they were all CCI Mini mag rounds.

Anyway, he acknowledged a defect in the takedown lever for my model, and said the new takedown levers include different plungers and springs that won't have any issues.

Works for me.

Good deal! And you did say that you had a 361-series pistol, correct?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Correct
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 AM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Since no one has said it yet... aftermarket parts installed in a Ruger product wont void the warranty. Ruger products DONT have a warranty.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Actually, I just recently had a call-back from the Customer Service Manager at Ruger in Prescott, AZ, concerning some Ruger 22/45 parts I received that were mis-labeled. While I had him on the phone, I asked him about all those "after-market" parts they have piled up and laying around. He sorta chuckled at that statement and told me that when they do find after-market parts in any Ruger SR22 or Ruger Mark I, II, III or 22/45 pistol, those parts are removed, bagged up, and sent back to the owner after they are replaced with OEM parts. The owner is charged for the NEW replaced parts. The ONLY parts that are replaced and NOT returned are any Ruger OEM parts that have been altered or modified in any manner. Again, the owner will be charged for those parts replaced.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
35Remington

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That makes sense. They'd be up Lawsuit Alley in a hurry if they really were stripping every gun of its aftermarket parts.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:02 PM
RonJon
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will Ruger replace the takedown lever if...

...it hasn't actually failed yet but IS in the range that they did?

I.E. - Mine is a 360 prefix and was test fired 01/2012. I have fired maybe 2000 (or maybe more) rounds through it so far and it hasn't broken yet, but since it's in the BAD date range, I was wondering if Ruger would want to replace it BEFORE it fails?

Or is it their policy to replace it only AFTER failure (and possibly causing some damage or injury)?

RonJon