Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Lawrence,
Have you encountered more than a couple with a broken firing pin?
Yes, a few, some have arrived without one at all (vexing) and some with broken into two pieces; I suspect the sellers never knew.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I canít wait to see more picture. I always like Trombones, but they are hard to find in the US.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They are fairly common here in Canada but all in all, very well used. The ones I see from the US seem to be in much better condition but mostly later in the production cycle (over 110,000). Only from what I've observed on the internet however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Niemann77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the new deluxe I just received today. It is certainly the nicest trombone I own now. It even has the box! The search for a factory engraved one continues however... Also, I had to delete my other picture to upload this one but once I get some free time I will upload more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171218_230008.jpg (538.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:29 PM
sleds77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice gun there.
Here's a picture of mine that I got from my Grandpa, he got it back in the 50's from a friend of his, gave it to me in the late 90's. I've shot it for years and about 10 years ago took it to a local gun smith to see what he could do to make it shoot better. He ended up drilling out the barrel and relining it, at the same time he put the bases on and mounted this old 4 power on it that I also got from my grandfather. Shoots like a tack driver now, and that's pretty good for a gun almost 100 years old. Serial number of 446x.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OK , back again , even with the photos that are gone , you all are very fortunate and this is about to become my new years resolution , i will add one this coming year ,
Old 01-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Christmas always seems to shake the Trombone tree, these arrived.

A couple with replacement rear sights and one with refinished (badly) wood and one with a scope. They cleaned up nicely.

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Wow. I'm surprised that there are that many left to find in Canada.
(though I'm sure that many more made their way there,than to the US)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's been a busy week, a very early Trombone arrived from the east coast and only 3 apart from one I already have. It has a 4 digit serial number so very early on in production (1st year I guess). It has a repaired stock but otherwise it's complete with matching serial numbers (Carrier piece, pump handle, butt plate and lower receiver).

Today two arrived, one without a stock but no matter I had a spare square tang stock so on it went. It's had it's barrel shortened by a few inches and the front sight moved back and a bit of a match crown; it took a while but it cleaned up quite well, the numbers all matched too.

The other one was a 13XX serial number and the lowest number I have beating the previous one by 16 places and thus earlier in production but possibly made the same day.

It's complete with all matching serial numbers but is missing the rear sight elevation screw but really no matter especially considering the age. It's had a bit of a rough life but once I'd cleaned it and polished the pump rails, bolt and muzzle it looked much better.

Sometimes they arrive in groups...
Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A big brown box arrived today, a recent auction purchase. The Trombone is mid 1930's production however it's missing the original sights and a tang peep sight has been installed. This is somewhat common on Trombones in Canada, I have a few others but with original sights.

During the take down I removed the butt plate, it had some rust inside which came off but left some pitting, no matter.

I saw a small ball of string which I removed, somebody had put this in for a survival kit, I've previously found other items in butt stocks, usually survival in nature. Up thread there's another one with Trombone that came with a rag and a little bottle of matches int he butt stock.

Right below the string was 10 rounds of .22 ammo and below that was another 10 rounds, all neatly packed in a circle (9 in the outer 'ring' and 1 in the center), noses pointing towards the muzzle. The rounds are corroded and look to be copper cased rather than brass as we see today.

Below the 20 rounds was a bundle of matches wrapped in wax paper.

As long as the owner had a screw driver or a pocket knife they could access the cache.

I think it's all been in there for at least 40 years but it's just a guess.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-31-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lawrence, that is cool....wonder how many folks nowadays stick something like that in their gun stocks. How many Trombones does this make now?

Out of curiosity, what brand/type ammo was it? Which tang sight and how was it attached?

James
Old 08-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The rounds are marked with a D and this being Canada I take to be Dominion Arsenal. It's a Lyman tang sight, it's mounted with a slight recess in the top of the butt stock and with two screws securing it.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:26 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, mine was mounted on the top of the buttstock with two screws but was flush mounted to the wood. For what it's worth, I did some looking, and I'm pretty sure that if someone wanted to drill and tap the back of the top of the receiver as is done on a Remington Model 12, a Lyman R12 would sit up there and work just fine. For what it's worth....might be a thing that someone with one that is a shooter might be interested in.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just finished cleaning it and polishing what needed to be polished. To my surprise, the magazine tube has been pinned to 10 rounds (I think). Whomever did simply made a small indent in the wall of the magazine tube so the follower can't rise past the spot.This is a new one on me!

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-01-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took a chance on a Trombone a short while ago and it arrived today. It was described as being in a 'well used' state with numerous holes in the receiver for various scope mounts.

This all proved to be true however the big surprise was the all matching serial number; in the 990 range.

This is by far the lowest serial number in my collection, the nearest being in the 1300 range. So to have one drop into my lap for a mere $210 is a real bonus.