Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The problem with mounting a red dot or scope on a Benelli MP90/95 on its rails is it has to come off the gun to field strip the gun for cleaning.

Larrys makes a billet CNC machined mount that can be removed and replaced without changing the zero of the sight. It slips over the front of the barrel. It does the job but……. not without introducing an new problem, at least it did on my MP90S.

The mount goes over the top of the chamber area and empties can bounce off it and back into the gun. At first I thought it was because the mount was too close to the chamber so I machined away some of it get more clearance but that did not solve the problem. It turned out that the extractor was not shaped right and lost its grip on the empty as the slide moved to the rear. The ejector was not able to repeatedly fling the empty out of the gun with the same trajectory. Without the mount and with the open area above the magazine that was not a problem. But with the scope mount, jams were common. I shaped the extractor correctly and the problem went away.

LDBennett
Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
JNW

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have considered a new High Standard, but have not been able to see one in person. All the talk of frequent difficult spring changing and cracked frames has me concerned.
Jeff
Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
JNW---Don't worry. The new High Standards don't crack even with high speed ammo due to superior and upgraded stainless steel. They are even guarranteed against cracking.

Second, the older ones don't crack if SV ammo was used and if the recoil spring was replaced even once every decade or so.

As John Stimson posted here, most that cracked were likely VERY high usage guns, often by military shooters or teams (Army, for example) that would get shot more in 2 years than you or i would shoot in a lifetime. If they were good enough for the Army and others for a few decades they'll serve you just fine.

I own or have owned 0ver 20 now and have looked at @ 200 by my estimation and have NEVER even SEEN one with a cracked frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (361 kB)

buy once, cry once.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 PM
JNW

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, what kind of pistol is that?
Jeff
Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pardini SP.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 PM
deadin
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my MP95e with the Nill grip. (Definitely worth the extra cost.) I've been arguing with myself about coughing up the $ for Larry's mount. If I start shooting in league regularly again I may just do it.
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (392 kB)

As for .22's with cracks, I have two. One is a Hartford (Predecessor to High Standard Model B),cracked frame, and the other is a Reising Target Auto,cracked slide. I'm sure both were cracked by HS ammo. The Reising has been welded and the Hartford is in such bad shape it isn't worth the effort.

Here's the Reising:
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In my eye, if you are going to spend bank on a 22 target pistol, go for the best.

What is the best?

Well Sgt. Kevin Saunderson set the Olympic record in 25m rapid fire with a Pardini SP.

Brian Zins consistently cleans up in .22 bullseye with a FWB AW93. Zins said he shot equal scores with the Pardini and the FWB but that he shot more X's with the FWB. Go figure..

Judy Tant, ladies champion shoots a Pardini SP.

The Pardini is a great gun. I cannot emphasize enough how much I like it. The trigger is fully adjustable, there are various grips available from Dick Horton, Pardini, Rink, and others for it. It is extremely reliable. The cyclling is super slick and the forward weight balance and rakish grip angle make recoil-recovery a snap in rapid fire. BTW, you can clean the Pardini with no change in zero if you use a red dot.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For $2200 a Pardini SP ought to do more than just give you great scores in Bullseye competition or Olympic competition.

Anyway it is a bit out of the $1000 class by more the 2X. The great guns that are in the limit are new and used Hi Std's, used S&W Model 41's, new Benelli MP95E's, and some other used European Olympic style guns like maybe a Hammerli or ????. While maybe not as accurate but excellent just the same for the mere mortals that are most of us, Vintage guns like the Colt Match Target or a Browning Challenger or Medalist would do most us just fine. And we get to see what real workmanship used to look like in guns of old's fit and finish.

LDBennett
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 PM
deadin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My MP95E is capable of way more than I am capable of shooting, however this is just the way I want it. I know that bad groups are because of me, not the gun.
No excuses allowed....
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There's a pardini sp on GB right now, 1050.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
tomcatt51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW View Post
I have considered a new High Standard...
How versatile a gun do you want? A bullseye specific gun that only has five rd mags you'll find is very limited if you want to play other games. FWIW bullseye does allow 10 rds to be loaded for the .22 slow fire stage, or use 2 fives.

For something more versatile a Ruger with a Volquartsen LLV top end could be hard to beat. Not fussy, tack driver even with bulk ammo, 10 rd mags. Lots of available "goodies". Not a world class trigger pull but they can be made to be VERY good. Might push your $1,000 limit a bit if you're figuring optics are in the $1,000.

Last edited by tomcatt51; 12-16-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM
HibouAttentif

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you can get it down from Canada, Interammo has the MP-35 from Baikal which is pretty good for the money. They used to known as the IZH-35 I think.

Denis
Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the Baika IZH-35M on loan for a couple of years and shot it regularly. It was OK but….

The screws used to hold it together had some kind of a problem (sorry but I don't remember exactly what it was??) so I bought a box of better screws from a machinist supply house and replaced them all. In fact I still have most of that box left. The gun was finished in a rather utilitarian way and screamed to be re-finished including smoothing of the surfaces. Other owners that report here mention durability as a problem. The gun was not a laser accurate gun like my S&W Model 41 or my several High Standards.

Its a long story but the gun went back to its owner and I could no longer buy one as they were no longer imported. Perhaps that was a godsend as it made me step up and buy a new Benelli MP90S and I absolutely love it! European Olympic style Target pistols with fantastic triggers and unusual designs are really great guns and surpass even my favorite Hi Std's. The Benelli is the entry level Olympic Style gun.

I would not recommend the IZH-35M but of course the buyer gets to choose, not me.

LDBennett
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM
deadin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah Yes! the IZH 35M. I had one as a back up to my Benelli for about a year before I finally sold it. Not a bad gun for the price. (At that time I think I paid less than $300 for it.)
IIRC one of its main problems was that while the iron sights were mounted on the frame and barrel if you wanted to mount a red dot it had to go on the shroud which then had to be somewhat secured to the frame/barrel unit with set screws that tended to loosen up with use. The screws provided with the gun were slot heads and after a while the slot would get buggered up. The answer was to get a set of socket head screws and an allen wrench. (A little dab of locktite was also useful)
Another problem with the early issues was their propensity to double every now and then. They seemed to have fixed it with guns made in 2000 and later.

One thing... You could always tell when there was a 35M on the line. Right about the time the "Ready on the Right" was called there would be a "CLANK" from down the line as the owner released the slide to chamber the first round....
(The sound is unique.)