SR22 and CCI Stingers - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Walther test the P22 to 20,000 rounds with Stingers. I find they cost too much, are too loud and not too accurate. Yep, they will cycle a semi auto and they sure make a large flash. I'd have to look to see any ballistic advantage over a fast .40 gr. I had never heard that story about old jar head. LTRiker, a member here, was shot through the back by a M1 being pulled out of a case by some one at the range while he was teaching some youngsters to shoot. He survived......shot through the back with .30-06 and survive. One of nine live used up for sure. M1911
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All handgun rounds are poor fight stoppers. Killers? Absolutely. But the problem is after he already has a fatal injury he keeps fighting. This is what the FBI learned in Mamii after Pratt was already dead he kept on fighting injuring and killing FBI agents with his Mini 14 long after the fatal injury had been administered.

A year or two ago I read about a fight between a single LEO and a single bad guy. The autopsy showed the bad guy had half a can of beer (the other half was still in the can) and NO other drugs. He was in the vehicle and the officer was circling the car trying to kill the bad guy while the bad guy was shooting the officer with his 9mm. The officer was hit 5 times and survived. The bad guy was "KILLED" by the officer's 3rd shot from a 40 cal S&W shooting Winchester Black Talons but kept fighting as he bled out. He kept shooting the officer and the officer ended up hitting the bad guy 7-9 times!! Several were "fatal" wounds.

Someone mentioned Clint Smith. One of his famous sayings goes something like "A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a rifle" (or shotgun I would add)

The point here is a determined killer can keep killing long after he has received a fatal hit from a pistol. Given that a small caliber pistol with limited penetration is NOT going to stop a determined person unless a central nervous system damage of the spinal cord or the brain.

A 22 is going to do very little tissue damage from a short barreled hand gun. It would be like getting stabbed by a prong. Might kill you might not. If it hits a vital organ you will bleed out an die.....eventually. If the prong goes through the eye into the brain the person is likely to stop or if it goes through the spinal cord.

Other than that there are those people that get shot in the pinkie and fall to the ground crying for mamma. It will be hard to STOP a determined bad guy with any 22 pistol. Better than throwing rocks unless they a big rocks and you have the arm of a major league pitcher.

I know there will be people that disagree with what I have pointed out but there is case after case that supports this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 05-27-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
History has one shooting I can recall where the person used a 22 cal revolver. I'm sure there are many more, but I will use the President Reagan assassination attempt as my example. I believe the revolver had a 3 in barrel and the ammunition was regular22 long. James Brady took a bullet to the head, I did not see him get up and go after the shooter! Reagan took a ricochet off the door jam, the bullet struck his lung. Anyone else not immediately taken to the hospital probably would have died. I'm going on 30 memory here, so feel free to research the story. My point is, on that day, a 22 did some serious damage.

Last edited by Dirty Whiteboy; 06-04-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Found this:
The Röhm RG-14 revolver at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.
At 2:27 pm Eastern Time,[6]:82 as Reagan exited the hotel through "President's Walk"[15] and its K Street NW exit toward his waiting limousine, Hinckley waited within the crowd of admirers. While the Secret Service extensively screened those attending the president's speech, in a "colossal mistake" the agency allowed an unscreened group to stand within 15 ft (4.6 m) of him, behind a rope line.[6]:80–81,225 Unexpectedly, Reagan passed right in front of Hinckley. Believing he would never get a better chance,[6]:81 Hinckley fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 long rifle[17] blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds,[6]:82[18] missing the president with all six shots.[19][16] The first bullet hit White House Press Secretary James Brady in the head. The second bullet hit District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty in the back of his neck as he turned to protect Reagan.[6]:82[20][21][22][23] Hinckley now had a clear shot at the president,[6]:81 but the third bullet overshot him and hit the window of a building across the street. As Special Agent In Charge Jerry Parr quickly pushed Reagan into the limousine, the fourth bullet hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy in the abdomen[20][21] as he spread his body over Reagan to make himself a target.[6]:81[10] The fifth bullet hit the bullet-resistant glass of the window on the open side door of the limousine. The sixth and final bullet ricocheted off the armored side of the limousine and hit the president in his left underarm, grazing a rib and lodging in his lung, stopping nearly 1 inch (25mm) from his heart.[24][10][13] Parr's prompt reaction saved Reagan from being hit in the head.[6]:224

After the shooting, Alfred Antenucci, a Cleveland, Ohio, labor official who stood nearby Hinckley, was the first to respond.[16] He saw the gun and hit Hinckley in the head, pulling the shooter down to the ground.[25] Within two seconds agent Dennis McCarthy (no relation to agent Timothy McCarthy) dove onto the shooter as others threw him to the ground; intent on protecting Hinckley to avoid what happened to Lee Harvey Oswald,[6]:84 McCarthy had to "strike two citizens" to force them to release him.[16] Agent Robert Wanko (misidentified as "Steve Wanko" in a newspaper report) took an Uzi from a briefcase to cover the President's evacuation and to deter a potential group attack.[26]

Hinckley's gun was given to the ATF the day after the shooting to trace its origin. In just sixteen minutes agents found that the gun had been purchased at Rocky's Pawn Shop in Dallas, Texas.[27] It had been loaded with six "Devastator"-brand cartridges which contained small aluminum and lead azide explosive charges designed to explode on contact; the bullet that hit Brady was the only one that exploded. On April 2, after learning that the others could explode at any time, volunteer doctors wearing bulletproof vests removed the bullet from Delahanty's neck.[23][6]:223
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Bearcat
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From the various test videos posted on the web, I have decided that the 40-grain CCI Blazers are the best for carry. The soft lead expands a bit, even from the short pistol barrels and they are very accurate in my SR-22. I found the Stingers to open up my groups significantly at 30-feet. I'd rather hit with the soft lead solid than miss with a hot "hollow point" which doesn't open at pistol barrel velocities. YMMV....
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
2nd the vote on the Blazers!!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Only an insane fool would want to be shot with ANY gun.
Agree...even a pellet gun.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
For the purpose the OP stated I would recommend the velicitor as rounds to carry to dissuade 2 or 4 legged varmints. Having never shot a SR22 I cannot comment on their accuracy but in a ballistic gel comparison the Velocitior was the hp round that penetrated and expanded the most from a 22 pistol.

Last edited by JStacy; 06-25-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
For mthe purpose the OP stated I would recommend the velicitor as rounds to carry to dissuade 2 or 4 legged varmints. Having never shot a SR22 I cannot comment on their accuracy but in a ballistic gel comparison the Velocitior was the hp round that penetrated and expanded the most from a 22 pistol.
Thanks! Even if the Velocitor didn't expand, it's a fast moving 40 grain bullet.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 PM
lanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stingers will work, though personally I found better accuracy with Mini-mags. In fact, I have yet to find another ammo more accurate for the SR-22. If you plan on using it at emergency situations, better carry with something that has an edge on accuracy.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzer View Post
Stingers will work, though personally I found better accuracy with Mini-mags. In fact, I have yet to find another ammo more accurate for the SR-22. If you plan on using it at emergency situations, better carry with something that has an edge on accuracy.
I think most folks are with you on that count. The Stingers are much more expensive and accuracy is not all that good. Mini-Mags are some very good, consistent .22 rounds.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzer View Post
hp's or solid mini mags/ both?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Dirty Whiteboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I think most folks are with you on that count. The Stingers are much more expensive and accuracy is not all that good. Mini-Mags are some very good, consistent .22 rounds.
Did an accuracy test with CCI Velocitors against CCI Mini Mags. I will stick with the Velocitors, not enough of a difference in accuracy and you can feel the extra velocity of the Velocitors.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM
backyardhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe Stingers are safe to use in most 22lr firearms unless the manufacturer says not to, like Lilja barrels?