Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Bigcat
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I got a chance to shoot the Cherokee yesterday, it took a few shots to get the back of the barrel smoothed out but after that it loaded easily and shot great. I used a .357 mag case full of 2f (all I have right now) a Hornady .315 round ball (all I could find locally) and a .018 patch, at 25 yards my last three shots were all touching. Looking forward to some late season squirrel hunting
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Pyrodex P in my Navy arms Mule Ear. I prefer black powder, but it is almost impossible to find around here. The govt. restrictions on it have about forced everyone to BP subs. I would like to find a .36 caliber to play with because the .32, at least in my limited experience, fouls in a hurry.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM
sarg1c
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Eastern Kentucky, amid Three great lakes and not far from free roaming Elk.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would gladly trade you a Hawkens .50 cal. maybe two. I shoot Pyrodex "P" in all my muzzle loaders .50 cal or less it's equiv. to FFFG. I traded for a couple of nice Hawkens a couple weeks ago. One is a Thompson Center ,looks like the Cherokee, the other is a no mame made in ITaly. Nice European walnut stock.

Last edited by sarg1c; 12-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 3 .32's -- a CVA Squirrel Rifle and 2 custom-built 42" bbl'ed sidelocks. I started out w/ Pyrodex P, went to 3f Goex, and finally to 4f Goex (15 grains). Loads, shoots, and cleans up well.

I keep a cleaning jag on the end of my ramrod and a strip of cotton flannel hanging from my bag for swabbing when loading becomes harder.

My reasoning was that if you can use 3f in the larger calibers by reducing the load, you could use 4f in .32 by using small loads.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:58 AM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Several years ago I stumbled onto a Cherokee with both .45 and .32 barrels for $100. Unfortunately, the .45 barrel had been buggered with a couple of grooves machined into the barrel for some type of scope mounting system and the .32 barrel had been tossed into a closet and forgotten about. The .32 barrel had several bad spots on the finish. Still, I have had good service from the gun, but the value of the combo has been ruined.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 AM
sarg1c
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Eastern Kentucky, amid Three great lakes and not far from free roaming Elk.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
My son's favorite rifle for many years, I used Pyrodex P as I recall, a .357 magnum case full, with spit lubed ticking and a .310 round ball and it shot great.
Pyrodex P, that's what I shoot in all my M/L's I like the loose powder even in my inlines,
I found a Cherokee and tried to trade two .50 cal for it, but no luck.I have the Thompson Center Hawkins in .50 which is the same and a cabele's but a little larger... A nice Sears Roebuck Kentucky, .45 made in Japan.

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-22-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 PM
ra-63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ra-63
I finally got a .32 Crocket rifle and just got to shoot it this past Friday. I used a .310 lead ball and a .015 patch over 25 grains of powder (my own3F ) and got pretty decent groups at 75 yards. After a few shots to see how consistent the loads were, I then used 30 grains of 3F with the same size ball and patch, and the groups tightened up to 11/2 -2 inch at 75 yards and for these battered eyes I thought that was great ! Next time out I'll really get this rifle dialed in. I've heard how these rifles get good accuracy with the right loads and I'm convinced now.As for cleaning the bore, I run a cotton patch through it every shot to find out what this rifle will do