"New" Trapping Pistol Painted - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
docv_73
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to docv_73
"New" Trapping Pistol Painted

Some of you know I have a youtube channel where I rebuild, upgrade, or repair guns, and video tape the work. Well, I have been asked MANY times about a pile of revolver parts in the background on my bench. I finally got customer work caught up enough, so I went to work on that revolver.

The story is, it is a Herbert Schmidt 22LR revolver called the LA Deputy. It is a copy of a Colt Scout, if memory serves correctly. It was "destroyed" in the Flood of '08. I got it from the owner, as a project to restore, instead of letting it get chopped up. The cost for him to salvage it was far more than the value of the pistol.

Early on, I got the rust cleaned up, completely disassembled and cleaned it up and got it functioning. The process, though, removed about 80% of the blueing, so it was disassebled waiting to be reblued. By the time I got to it, I had changed my mind and decided to paint it instead.

Here are the results...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The only difference is the screws and pins have since been finished. The ones in the receiver are black and the ones in the grips are olive drab.

The three colors are coyote, olive drab, and matte black. This has now become my new trapping pistol, instead of dirtying up my S&W Revolver.

Last edited by docv_73; 10-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
docv_73

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
P.S.

It shoots 22 shorts VERY well!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like it! Always nice to rescue anything.

A buddy had one of the "Buffalo Scout" HS with those grips that worked just fine for ages and Dad had a nickeled longer barreled model that I shot as a kid a bit.

Not Colts or Rugers, but I never had a problem with those two guns.

Ya done good!

-kBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
docv_73

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
OOPS! I had the same picture twice.

Thanks, kbob.

Before disassembling it - shortly after making it functional - it was the first handgun I was able to talk my daughter into shooting.

It was perfect for that, because it was SA only, and I was able to start with Colibri and work up to shorts, then LR, so she eased into the noise and intimidation factor of shooting a handgun.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM
bedbugbilly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's different! Kind of like a "Lone Ranger Tactical"?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Doc,

My first thought when I opened the thread was "at least it's not pink", but after coming back to the thread a couple of times I've decided that I do like it!

Could you followup in this thread about holster wear in a couple of months ... years? I know some manufacturers have gone to paint or powder coats, but I'm interested in how a home paint job holds up under work use.

Could you add what brand paint, prep and if you baked it?

Bob
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM
docv_73

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use Aluma-Hyde II almost exclusively - unless I am powder coating - but I only do that for customers, on request.

I have two rifles (in really old posts on here somewhere) I did with Aluma-Hyde II. Both are working on 10 years old. One is a 597 which is my primary small game and plinking rifle, and the other is a Savage 7mm RemMag, which is used for Extreme Long Range shooting, big game hunting, long range varmint hunting, and tactical use - in short it the crap beat out of it...

Both are near 10 years with paint, and both are still fine. There is som wear on the camo pattern in high contact areas - palm swell, comb, bottom of fore end - but the under coat is still perfect, and the camo pattern is just worn, not gone in those areas.

I put all of that here, because I swear by Aluma-Hyde II, but this pistol is cast metal, really high in zinc, and I did not acid etch the surface, so I do not expect this one to wear well. Eventually I will strip it and re-do it with either an acis etch or sanding to rough up the surface to hold the paint better.

So far, the only wear is on the cylander wear the cylander-stop rubs it as it rotates.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 AM
cmr13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it looks really cool!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Cedar Rapids???

There are real gunsmiths in Cedar Rapids???

Or, just a hobby.........................