Winchester M-22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Winchester M-22

I picked up a double brick of this at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago. First .22 ammo I had seen in months except for 2 50-round boxes of CCI Stingers I got at Academy in March. The advertising on the box said clean burning and accurate, but I also believed Win. came out with it for the AR .22 cal. crowd for a cheap bulk ammo.
When I looked at it before I bought it, I was impressed by the physical appearance of the ammo. Very clean, tight bullets, etc.

I finally had a chance to shoot some yesterday. I started out shooting some in my Challenger II which on occasion will be a little ammo selective. Ran through the C-II very well and for as little as I have shot anything lately, I was getting pretty good groups (for me) at 15 yards. Then I tried it out in my Buck Mark which generally only runs without argument with Fed Auto Match. I had maybe 3 stove pipes out of 100 rounds. At 25 yards I was getting good groups, again for me, but I have a 3 MOA red dot on the BM so I can hold on the bull pretty well. If I don't flinch, I can generally do pretty well. Again lack of practice lately widened the groups a bit for me, but I was really happy with the results.

My last gun I had carried to the range was my CZ 452 Silhouette. It is not my most accurate .22 (my Rem. Mdl Five is), but it and my Savage MK IIg will do very respectable jobs with AM, Win SS, and Fed 510b and Blue Box. My Mdl Five loves the Fed Blue box, but it is very difficult for me to find.

Anyway, I shot the first cold barrel shot and then went to the bull. It was a near perfect zero from probably the Fed 510b I had been shooting in it. 2 clicks up and right was giving me x-bulls when my technique was correct and consistent. I shot some 5-shot .225 to .324 in. groups, and overall was really impressed with the ammunition. I am curious to see what my MK IIg and Mdl Five will do with the ammo. Academy had some the day I got the Stingers, but the first 2 guys standing in line before the store opened got the M-22 for a little over $40 a 1000 round box. I paid about $53 for the 1000 rounds at BP.

Anyone else out there had similar, or dissimilar results??
VH
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
cmr13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear it's working good for you. I picked up a 1000 round box at Walmart for $48 but I haven't shot it much. If I remember correctly it ran good through my Colt M4-22, but I haven't tested it for accuracy at all since I'm still working through some Federal bulk & don't want to re-zero.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I've shot it in my CZ 75 Kadet and it shot very well, I was very pleased with it. Now you've got me thinking I need to try it in a CZ 452 rifle.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
TB, I think you might find it does a good job. I plan to get my Mdl Five and MK IIg over to the range in the next week or so. I can't get the boat out of the back yard until I clean up a big limb that broke on my maple tree. It is still to soft back there from all the rain in the last few days as well.

Nice to have a fall back program. I am officially RETIRED 3 weeks today. Now anything I want to do is a fall back program... and I am working on little projects along the way. I need to fix a folding table I made years ago today. I watched that tornado rip up OK yesterday. That was heart rendering. VH
Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Dir. View Post
Yup M-22 is very good ammo IMO.......and congrats on retiring VH .
VH
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
only1harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's good to hear you guys are having good luck with the M22. I have 2 boxes on backorder with Cabelas and I am looking forward to trying it on my semi-autos. I have been looking for a good HV bulk ammo or better than what I am shooting now for sometime now. Hopefully the M22 is it. Actually I am pretty happy with CCI Tactical, and is the best HV I have tested so far, but it would be nice to have another bulk HV ammo that shoots as good or better.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up some at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago and went plinking over the weekend. Ran great in both my Sig 522 and GSG 1911. Shot approx 250 rounds with no feeding or extraction issues. I didn't formally test for accuracy, but it was definitely minute of soda can. Good stuff, me thinks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
windsearcher
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to windsearcher
Good news on the M-22, I also have some on backorder.... hope it will arrive one of these days.

To the OP..... strange to hear that your Buckmark is so selective on ammo.... mine fires everything I put through it except for the Rem. Golden Bullets. Hates those, and I understand a lot of folks have similar problems with the GB's.

Anxious to get my ammo so I can do some range time!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 AM
powwowell

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Congratulations to the fellows that have had good results with this stuff. For me, it ranks right up there with Remington Golden Bullets. Not as bad as Thunderduds.

I've had many problems using it in three Glenfield 60s, that have been rebuilt. Reports are from soft to loud and everything in between. The soft report shots are guaranteed to not eject properly (stovepipe). Did I mention misfires? At least one in every eighteen shots. They do fire when recycled. I can switch to Blazers, and it's like I have 100% functional rifles.

I have an SR22 that I'm really fond of. It handles everything except the Winchester M22s. Misfires and stovepipes.

Maybe I have a bad batch of them? I got them from Walmart, a couple of months ago. I would like to trade the 2nd, unopened, 500 round box, but I don 't want to stick someone else.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM
vaskeet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowell View Post
Congratulations to the fellows that have had good results with this stuff. For me, it ranks right up there with Remington Golden Bullets. Not as bad as Thunderduds.

I've had many problems using it in three Glenfield 60s, that have been rebuilt. Reports are from soft to loud and everything in between. The soft report shots are guaranteed to not eject properly (stovepipe). Did I mention misfires? At least one in every eighteen shots. They do fire when recycled. I can switch to Blazers, and it's like I have 100% functional rifles.

I have an SR22 that I'm really fond of. It handles everything except the Winchester M22s. Misfires and stovepipes.

Maybe I have a bad batch of them? I got them from Walmart, a couple of months ago. I would like to trade the 2nd, unopened, 500 round box, but I don 't want to stick someone else.
I have tried to pm you about the M-22 but the pms are not showing up as sent on my pm page. If you could pm me .
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM
powwowell

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
M-22 Trade

vaskeet, I've replied to our PM and sent you a recent one.

Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM
riggins
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
As others have mentioned, I also have 2000 rounds of this on back order with Cabelas. BTW mine was ordered as a ship to store order. I have read about those that paid for shipping already receiving thei orders. I have no previous experience shooting it, but I have read good reviews and figured what the heck, I will give it a try.

If it gets shipped, and I remember, I will report back here after trying it.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM
vaskeet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins View Post
As others have mentioned, I also have 2000 rounds of this on back order with Cabelas. BTW mine was ordered as a ship to store order. I have read about those that paid for shipping already receiving thei orders. I have no previous experience shooting it, but I have read good reviews and figured what the heck, I will give it a try.

If it gets shipped, and I remember, I will report back here after trying it.
I paid for shipping and mine is also on backorder. Randy
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsearcher View Post
Good news on the M-22, I also have some on backorder.... hope it will arrive one of these days.

To the OP..... strange to hear that your Buckmark is so selective on ammo.... mine fires everything I put through it except for the Rem. Golden Bullets. Hates those, and I understand a lot of folks have similar problems with the GB's.

Anxious to get my ammo so I can do some range time!
My Challenger II is/can be a little selective. My buck mark runs most everything, but I have generally used automatch. That may change....
Old 05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
only1harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of my backorders said it would arrive 5/24, and the other 5/25. Well 5/25 has come and gone. I have not heard anything from Cabelas a week later after the "promised date", which is not normal for Cabelas. Not too happy right now, but it is what it is. If anyone gets a notification from Cabelas that their M22 are shipping, please let us know.

Harry