Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM
wll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by massrog View Post
Well to all the skeptics I am another convert! I was pretty much there before having improved my Shultz & Larsen 33 dramactially using this system but my "new" 52 was not doing so well yesterday at either 50' or 25yds so I came home and put in 45 mins. with the tape. The following pic shows the results. The bottom right would be representative of the best group from Wolf yesterday. I realize the accuracy is not what a lot of you would expext at 50' and I hope to improve with practice with my new toy but the improvement is obvious!

Those groups are off the charts as far as I'm concerned. I have two Savage FV-SR's. At times I can get a .500 to .750 group, but I'm always getting fliers. I just tape bedded my Boyd's Rimfire Hunter stock and went to the range today ... I must be the worst bench rest shooter that ever lived !

I got a couple of 1 inch groups but a few 1.5's too.

I'm using the Savage magazines to load all my ammo, should I be loading them in by hand and not using the magazine ?

All screws are tight and the scopes parallax is set at 50 yds, the power set to 12x, and everything else seems fine.

On another note, the ammo is old, about 12 years, does .22 deteriorate that badly over 12 years ?

Thanks for the input guys !

wll
Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not every ammo is going to shoot like that. In fact in most rifles only a couple will so you have to test different types until you find the right stuff.

What are you shooting? Usually age does not hurt most ammo unless it has been stored poorly. I have some old Eley Tenex Ultimate that shoots extremely well.

You say your your screws are "tight". That can be a problem if you over tighten them all my 10/22s shoot best at 18-22 inch pounds of torque and that is barely snug. Tighten them up and the groups get bigger. Something to try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
unclebill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just stumbled across this thread.
This is a great idea
And I like easy to remove test mods.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You are most welcome. One of the cool things about tape bedding is if you do not like it you peel it off and all you are out is a couple bucks for the tape that can be handy for many things and some shooting time

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 AM
wll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Not every ammo is going to shoot like that. In fact in most rifles only a couple will so you have to test different types until you find the right stuff.

What are you shooting? Usually age does not hurt most ammo unless it has been stored poorly. I have some old Eley Tenex Ultimate that shoots extremely well.

You say your your screws are "tight". That can be a problem if you over tighten them all my 10/22s shoot best at 18-22 inch pounds of torque and that is barely snug. Tighten them up and the groups get bigger. Something to try.

All ammo was stored in a den area where it never got to hot or to cold, so it should be good.

I just bought DIP base plates and will then install them just snug, not as firm as i am doing now, maybe that will make a difference like you said.

I'm also putting on 30mm tube 4x16 scope that lets in a little more light than my Bushnell Trophy 4x12 and has better adjustment knobs. The scope is a pretty inexpensive UTG, but they got some good reports on the new models and for a .22 it should be fine.

wll
Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM
wll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, I have fever, a cough, and the chills ... it's time to work on my FV-SR !

I decided to go against the grain and put some aluminum foil tape (.003) on the inside channel near the tip. I put in two layers but the barrel it is still free floating, and I want to knock that out. I'm testing to see what is causing good groups, then fliers,

The gun has possibilities but it is not there yet, I'll settle on .5 to .6 with the right ammo, I'm not looking to go to the Olympics, but I do want an accurate rifle.

My ammo of choice now because I have some is RWS target and PMC target.

I have feelers out for SK target and Blazer too.

wll
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Aluminum tape can be used for pressure pads in the barrel channel. I've done. I prefer inner tube rubber and on my centerfires years ago I learned to use card stock and stack that. Works well if you want to finally go to glass bed pad because the card stock is harder and simulates epoxy better.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM
roofdog1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm working on a Mosin Nagant bed/pillar job (also just inletted and installed a Timney trigger). The two piece full stock is thin, and the bottom piece warps away as it nears the muzzle, and is not at all centering on the barrel. I've sanded to free float the barrel and the pillars are installed. I'm thinking of putting some aluminum tape a couple of inches in from the muzzle to pull the stock into alignment when I install the top piece of stock and retaining rings. The premise would be that the aluminum tape would insure the desired free-float clearance on the remainder of the barrel while still allowing the barrel to expand/contract without binding up on the aluminum tape.

Any thoughts or guidance on this?

Last edited by roofdog1; 03-11-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
New application for me and all I can tell you is try it. Fuzzy Limey has told us how Enfields were bedded with some kind of medical tape to ready them for the Olympics before WWII. When he came to this country he found this really cool stuff that worked so much better, aluminum tape.

I am not sure how he used it but people use aluminum tape to float barrels in the K31 Swiss. I have a nice one but my K31 is already floated inside the forearm.

Last edited by Vincent; 05-08-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
d2wing
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been agonizing over bedding my 540xr with a loose stock. This sounds like something I should try. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2wing View Post
I have been agonizing over bedding my 540xr with a loose stock. This sounds like something I should try. Thanks.
All you have to lose trying it is $3 in tape (which is good for lot's of stuff) and the ammo to test. I say go for it!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 AM
izhm

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bump for good read .
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 AM
RD23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried this on my 452 UL. Tape and inner tube cost me about $10. Definitely made an improvement. Thank you Vincent for taking the time to share.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD23 View Post
I tried this on my 452 UL. Tape and inner tube cost me about $10. Definitely made an improvement. Thank you Vincent for taking the time to share.
Very glad that it helped out. It is always fun when you can spread a bit of info around that is helpful to others. Much of the reason for RFC in general and very much an important part of SuperStock family of forums.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:47 PM
rep314
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile 580 bedding with alum tape

Employed this method today on my Rem 580 because I am not wanting to go too far away from "stock" condition thus wanted to avoid the metal pillar and glass bedding. Plus if this did not improve things I could always go back to original with ease. At the range I noted an initial change in elevation of about 1 1/2" high at 25 yards. Zero was easy and after that shot one ragged hole groups with CCI Quiet, CCI Standard and Fiocci Exacta Winter at 25 yards. At 50 the groups opened up slightly but this may well have been the operator due to the fact that I forgot my shooting mat and was not comfortable without it plus it was just an off day for me. I may remove the small rubber (bike tire patch) bed that I used at the very end of the stock under the barrel as I am thinking that might have been why I was so high initially and if removed that would give me a true free floating barrel.
No doubt this tightened the action up a lot so we will see how it goes next time.
On way or another I will try the same on my Savage FVSR as it is all fun and no pain.
Frankly I do not know why I bothered on the Rem 580 as it is totally capable of shooting better than I can control it anyway! Only modification is a good trigger job to the original trigger and really good ammo and good scope (BSA Sweet 22 3x9-40)