Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Like I told you it may not work in every rifle but to say it flat does not work is wrong. I havew seen a number of people post that it worked for them, Fuzzy Limey has been using some version of it for over 70 years!!

Just because it did not work for you does not mean . Look at this:

My 10/22 African Rose it tape bedded and it shot these @ 50 yds.:

That is four groups at 50 averaging .228" with tape bedding that is at least 6 months old.

You say it does not work because it flexes yet you recommend Dip It which is SUPPOSED to flex!!

The tape has worked for many people. If it did not work for your rifle using it your way only proves your method of applying did not work. That is when you should try another method.

I showed you how I used it on my Rem 581 (round action). In our conversations you seemed very confused. I spent a fair amount of time trying to help but it seemed like you just would not get it.

You did not like? Fine. You could not make it work? Fine! But do not go running around going on about it will never work when so many people have had such great results for YEARS. Your one example does not mean many, many people that did it right and got good results are wrong and you are right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM
JC12
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW!! - I need to find some lipstick and tape my 10/22, great shooting
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks the rifle is coming along nicely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 01:07 PM
pazsint
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation the proof is in the science

Temporary tape gives a temporary solution as permanent bedding gives the final solution, just ask any gunsmith before you settle for less.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazsint View Post
Temporary tape gives a temporary solution as permanent bedding gives the final solution, just ask any gunsmith before you settle for less.
NOBODY said tape bedding is a replacement for permanent bedding but then I have two rifles that the tape bedding is several years old and still working fine.

As Fuzzy Limey posted it was good enough for Olympic rifles and Anshutz uses a variation of this bedding so it can not be all bad either.

Also some people aree just afraid of doind epoxy or fiberglass bedding and this give them a way to bed with out the fear of gluing their rifles together.

If you do not like it, don't do it no one is twisting your arm.

As for my own feelings on the matter I wrote my glass bedding tutorial LONG before I wrote the tape bedding.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The material Anschutz used for a short time was much more like gasket material, just to keep the record straight, what I saw and handled was close to a .1 of an inch thick and compressible. I'll leave how effective it is to your own determination, I have used it to stabilize a couple of 10/22's until I got them glass bedded.

Last edited by gmd1950; 12-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
The material Anschutz used for a short time was much more like gasket material, just to keep the record straight, what I saw and handled was close to a .1 of an inch thick and compressible. I'll leave how effective it is to your own determination, I have used it to stabilize a couple of 10/22's until I got them glass bedded.
You are correct. I did not mean to imply that it was the exact same material just that it was not a traditional epoxy bed.

Actually when stacked and compressed the aluminum tape is much like some gasket materials. Bottom line is many people have found that it works and some of those figured it out LONG before I wrote the tutorial

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM
ragswl4
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
NOBODY said tape bedding is a replacement for permanent bedding but then I have two rifles that the tape bedding is several years old and still working fine.

If you do not like it, don't do it no one is twisting your arm.
Vincent, no good deed goes unpunished. I used this method on my Savage .22lr and shrunk the groups by half. Easy peezy to do, takes little time and can be removed if it doesn't work. What's not to like?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Colt.45
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I tape bedded my Lt. handed 581 per Vincent's tutorial along with an innertube pressure point near the tip of the forend and the difference was night & day. My 581 shoots lights out now with SK stnd.
Thanks Vincent!!!
Colt.45
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks guys.

I would be the last guy in the world to say this method replaces traditional bedding. Like I said I wrote my glass bedding tutorial years before I wrote the tape bedding tutorial so that should point out where I stand on that. Tape bedding can also be used to help you figure out a epoxy bedding scheme for your rifle. Much easier to test different schemes with tape before deciding on the final bedding solution

Almost all the critical have not tried it except one and he did not follow the directions despite repeated PMs. Like traditional bedding it may NOT work on all rifles.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:14 PM
hawkeye10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I tape bedded my 40X today but didn't shoot it. Here in Murfreesboro it's been 35 or 36 degrees and cloudy all day long. I am just not getting the accuracy out of this rifle that I think I should. I had already planned to bed it so this is just experimenting and having fun.

Don
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I will be moving to McMinnville later this month.

Saddens me that I will not be just down the road from the best range I have ever shot on but it will bring other things. Brent is going to show me a range down that way sometime.

I will be just 18 miles from my buddy 40calcritter's shop/range outside of Woodbury.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM
massrog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vincent,
I could use some advice if you dont mind.I shot it today with mixed results (some great groups then not good) so I just did a tape job on my Win. 52-A Johnson barrel/custom stock and I have a couple of questions on the results thus far. ! I noticed some flex in the stock near the forend tip and I am in a quandry as to whether i should leave the tip "floating" or get some rubber. For clarity, the space right now barely lets a strip of the backing paper from the tape to slide the first 1 1/2" then it's free till the tape I put just forward of the recoil lug. That brings up my second question which is whether to use the tape for the action end barrel support or use the rubber you originally recommended. I was going for a "fully floated" barrel but don't really know if i should. I have not shot it yet as I finished 20 minutes ago and I dont want to waste range trips if I can avoid it as it is a 20 mile trip. Thanks very much!

Roger

Last edited by massrog; 12-22-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massrog View Post
Vincent,
I could use some advice if you dont mind. I just did a tape job on my Win. 52-A Johnson barrel/custom stock and I have a couple of questions on the results thus far. ! I noticed some flex in the stock near the forend tip and I am in a quandry as to whether i should leave the tip "floating" or get some rubber. For clarity, the space right now barely lets a strip of the backing paper from the tape slide the first 1 1/2" then it's free till the tape I put just forward of the recoil lug. That brings up my second question which is whether to use the tape for the action end barrel support or use the rubber you originally recommended. I was going for a "fully floated" barrel but don't really know if i should. I have not shot it yet as I finished 20 minutes ago and I dont want to waste range trips if I can avoid it as it is a 20 mile trip. Thanks very much!

Roger
To be honest there is no answer other than try it both ways and see what shoots better. In many ways this is more art than science. I have 4 10/22 SuperStocks with the GM Heavy Taper barrel. Three of them shoot better supported 2-3 inches ahead of of the action. One of them shoots best with a tiny strip of rubber right at the tip of the stock.

Why?

Heck if I know but I just kept trying different combinations until one worked. Many years ago an old WWI Marine Gunnery Sargent that taught my NRA Marksmanship Class told me "Every rifle is a story onto itself" and that has proven true over and over in the 50 years since.

I wish I could give you a better answer but I really can't and I would warn you to be skeptical of anyone that says they have all those answers

Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
massrog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well to all the skeptics I am another convert! I was pretty much there before having improved my Shultz & Larsen 33 dramactially using this system but my "new" 52 was not doing so well yesterday at either 50' or 25yds so I came home and put in 45 mins. with the tape. The following pic shows the results. The bottom right would be representative of the best group from Wolf yesterday. I realize the accuracy is not what a lot of you would expect at 50' and I hope to improve with practice with my new toy but the improvement is obvious!

Last edited by massrog; 01-06-2014 at 08:21 PM.