Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sporter 3P practice sessions ?

I'd be curious to hear what you guys are usually doing for CMP sporter 3P practice sessions. What type of practice, number of shots, how many times a week, what distances etc. I am presently doing about 90 - 100 rnds per session spread over all 3 positions (mostly slow fire at the moment) 3 times a week. Am shooting at an indoor range at 50 ft. and using the reduced 50 ft targets for sitting and prone and the larger B-19 C for off hand at 25 yds. My prone and sitting positions slow fire are at gold level and my off hand is at mid silver but I expect to get it up to gold by the end of the month. Am just starting on working on the rapid fire stuff. Maybe an hour a day practice dry firing in all three positions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
sounds like a solid regime....you've got more time to shoot than I do.

I would shoot the same targets for all 3 positions...the B-19 are pretty large, it's fun to shoot them, but you really want to develop a consistent sight picture.

my only suggestion is to spend a bit more time shooting offhand - that's the position that wins matches.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast63 View Post
sounds like a solid regime....you've got more time to shoot than I do.

I would shoot the same targets for all 3 positions...the B-19 are pretty large, it's fun to shoot them, but you really want to develop a consistent sight picture.

my only suggestion is to spend a bit more time shooting offhand - that's the position that wins matches.
Thanks for the suggestions Timber. I spend a huge amount of time dry firing off hand using the RF 50B target at 50 ft. in my house and feel like I have gotten to the point that once I have warmed up I can regularly put 9/10 shots in the ten ring almost automatically. Unfortunately that ain't the way it's working out at the range :-) My problem is at the moment I seem to have a problem with follow thru in the OH position as while practicing at the range tonight I was shooting at the B-19C target at 25 yrd. and after shooting a string of ten shots (my last string of the day) I could have sworn that I had put at least 8 shots in the 10 ring only to pull the target back and find that I had only put 4 in the 10 ring and pulled all the other 6 shots to the right into the 9 ring. I figure that I am either yanking the trigger or just not muscling the follow thru enough. Gotta get the dry firing to match the actual range form. Would love to get a Scatt or Noptel system to analyze my dry firing follow thru more but right after Xmas it's hard to talk the wife into it :-)

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I had first started CMP RS (fall '06, IIRC), I had practiced about every other weekend and went to one local match (full range) before Camp Perry in '07. I did so-so for the first time but attributed it mostly to being my first time. Leading up to '08, I really slacked off and maybe practiced 5 or 6 times before Camp Perry '08 and my scores really suffered (getting beat by a couple gilrs didn't make things better). From that point on, I got serious about it.

My regimen was (and is) relatively simple. Shoot every weekend (weather permitting, baring any injuries, and excluding family functions) and shoot as many local matches as possible. I focused on one position first until I was minimally satisfied with my performance, then moved on to another position (while still practiing the previous position), and then the last. When I felt comfortable on a position I would shoot at least 100 rounds for practice every weekend. For the positions I was not comfortable in, I would shoot until I get too tired or the range closes. I am lucky enough that in my area there is at least a couple matches a month being conducted (from spring through fall, full and reduced ranges) and there is one local match held indoors during winter also (reduced range). These matches are usually held on Saturdays which leaves Sundays open for practice at the range. During the off season, I dry fire my T-Class gun in standing position at a CMP RS reduce range prone target modified with a slightly smaller white "X" center circle. (I use a smaller "X" as the range is a little shorter than 50'.) I can usually tell if I am pulling the rifle in my followthrough during this time and make it a point to dry fire on the "X" 10 straight times without pulling before stopping.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron V. View Post
When I had first started CMP RS (fall '06, IIRC), I had practiced about every other weekend and went to one local match (full range) before Camp Perry in '07. I did so-so for the first time but attributed it mostly to being my first time. Leading up to '08, I really slacked off and maybe practiced 5 or 6 times before Camp Perry '08 and my scores really suffered (getting beat by a couple gilrs didn't make things better). From that point on, I got serious about it.

My regimen was (and is) relatively simple. Shoot every weekend (weather permitting, baring any injuries, and excluding family functions) and shoot as many local matches as possible. I focused on one position first until I was minimally satisfied with my performance, then moved on to another position (while still practiing the previous position), and then the last. When I felt comfortable on a position I would shoot at least 100 rounds for practice every weekend. For the positions I was not comfortable in, I would shoot until I get too tired or the range closes. I am lucky enough that in my area there is at least a couple matches a month being conducted (from spring through fall, full and reduced ranges) and there is one local match held indoors during winter also (reduced range). These matches are usually held on Saturdays which leaves Sundays open for practice at the range. During the off season, I dry fire my T-Class gun in standing position at a CMP RS reduce range prone target modified with a slightly smaller white "X" center circle. (I use a smaller "X" as the range is a little shorter than 50'.) I can usually tell if I am pulling the rifle in my followthrough during this time and make it a point to dry fire on the "X" 10 straight times without pulling before stopping.
Ron - Super thanks for your post. I can see that I am really going to have to up my game to be able to do a solid hold when dry firing on a smaller x ring than is on the reduced RF 50A prone target when practicing off hand at 50 ft.. Yikes. I'm fairly solid when dry firing on the reduced RF 50B OH target and can probably click off 9-10/10 in the 10 ring but the smaller x ring on the RF 50A is gonna be a whole nuther story :-) Probably why I am having a little trouble at the moment pulling high right at the range.

I see you are from Ohio. I'm in Dayton. I have looked at the CMP section for listing CMP SP matches

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...nation=RIMFIRE

and see that there are some matches coming up in Geneva. That's a tad far for me but was wondering if that is the best place to watch for upcoming matches. Is there a better site to find them ?

From what I can find by browsing around there looks to be some in Athens in April, March in Canton, April at Crooked Creek, April at Erie Conservation, March at Berlin Center, Mentor in June, Meeker in July. Some of this info may be way out of date. Does this look about right ? Any others you usually go to ?

Thanks again for all your help and thank god for indoor ranges at the moment :-)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Ron V.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CMP's website is pretty much where I go to to find matches as well as here and RFS (Keith Custard some times mentions some matches on occassion that I didn't catch earlier. In fact, the Beaver Valley match he ran at the time was the first one I had ever gone to.) I usually hit the ORCO (Geneva, OH - indoor reduced), Crooked Creek (Hartsgrove, OH - outdoor reduced), Canton-McKinley (Hartsville, OH - outdoor full range) matches and try to get to the Fort Wayne (Harlen, IN - outdoor full range) matches. Did attend at Meeker (Marion, OH - outdoor full range) but really crapped out there. Shooting didn't start 'til around 10:30-11:00 (IIRC) and not a cloud in the sky on a very hot day. The heat just drained me which is a problem I normally encounter, which is one reason why I like to get my shooting done early in the morning. Meant to go to Lake Milton (Berlin Center, OH - outdoor full range) last year but conflicted with another non-shooting event. There also was an un-sanctioned match at Youngstown RPC (Youngstown, OH - outdoor full range) I attended but don't normally attend. (IIRC, Keith C. was there too.) I've been meaning to try Erie (Milan, OH - outdoor full range) but always conflicted with something else. Haven't tried Sandusky (Gibsonburg, OH - outdoor full range) as they've only recently started conducting them. Did go to an Appleseed shoot there though. I know Mentor has a pretty solid 3-P group and a poster here regularly shoots there. Never tried their CMP RS, though.

The March match at Canton-McKinley will likely be indoors reduced (as they were in the past), the rest are outdoors full range.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 PM
willQuest
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My practice sessions are varied, due to life, work and whatever, but a couple of things have remained consistent, shot dairy and shot plan. Have a goal for each training session, shoot and record the results. Use the results to get better. This helps in knowing yourself, the rifle and ammo. Also, develop a shot plan so you know every aspect of each position and how to find center. Everyone is different, so you will have to find what works best for you. Itís easy to just throw shots down range in practice but it takes discipline to make each shot your best. For me, itís about learning how to do this. Have fun and good luck.

William M. Flagg, Jr.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Ron V.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will's a good one to take advice from. He holds the CMP RS top score for the Eastern Games with a 598/44X. See you at Butner Will.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
willQuest
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ron, Iíll be there. It will be good to talk with you again.