advice on instruction book? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Ed333
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
advice on instruction book?

I have been loaned a copy of "Position Rifle Shooting" by Bill Pullam and Frank Hanenkrat, copyright 1973.
Is the information in this book reliable and still relevant? Was/Is it well regarded?
I know that theories can change over time, and as an older noobie I don't want to waste time. The last formal instruction I had was on Parris Island over 50 years ago, figured I needed an update.
thanks, Ed
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM
richwagner
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
books

Ed, The first thing you need to determine is just what type of shooting you want to do. Do you want to try shooting full blown International style competition or are you looking at the more casual CMP or some NRA 4 position shooting? I can't say I remember that book but I've seen others from that time frame that are good books for the NRA style shooting. Back in the 60's & 70's there were a lot on NRA 4P leagues around where many people shot for fun and of course some bragging rights. Most of the newer books I've seen are written more for International style 3P. Information for International shooting can of course used for NRA style but it doesn't always work the other way. The book you have will probably do you good to get started but the style of shooting you do will decide where you go after that. "Rifle: Steps to Success" by Launi Meili is a nice book that covers newer equipment and the book is only about $14 through Amazon, it is written for International 3P but it does cover sitting as well. Good luck

Rich
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Ed333

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
more casual...

At age 72, I doubt that full blown competitive ISU shooting is in the cards, I have been considering trying F class with centerfire rifle, my club does not have any active small bore program. I have read enough about the benchrest community to think that may not be for me, I am not that anal-retentive, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I watched a fellow take about one shot every 10 minutes, cleaning out his bore every time in between, and that is not for me. Casual with some bragging rights, sounds about right. Plus I get chances to introduce younger people to shooting, do some informal introductory instruction, don't want to be telling people the wrong thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM
richwagner
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ed, through my club I work with a Jr Rifle program where we put kids through the NRA Basic Rifle Course and then they shoot for the NRA Qualifications in 4P. Our program is designed for beginner-intermediate shooters. Our clubs dated equipment is also great for that. When we get a kid who really wants to get serious about competition, I try to put them in touch with another club that has a real completive program and a coach that can teach for that level. I shoot with an informal 4P group here on rimfire central (Jan. NRA Light Rifle & NRA Smallbore Position Match). Most of us on there are adults who shot as kids and just want to have fun doing more shooting without the high level stuff or some who want to try using the rifles they have purchased at CMP or other and learn how 4P is done. We follow the NRA Smallbore Rifle rules and use the NRA Qualifications as a reference. I think you will find those old books on position shooting are just fine for this level of shooting, as long as the position conforms with the rules, the info is still relevant. If you are interested in the straight prone shooting the NRA also has a qualification for that using smallbore. It starts with prone at 50 feet, then moves to 50 yards. After that it moves to 100 yards and even 200 yards. That's a long way with a .22. Good luck with the F class.

Rich
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not cheap - but well thought of by most position shooters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ways-Rifle-2...item53da73fa23
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can save on shipping

This is a great book, but really detailed. You can find it many places where you aren't going to pay that kind of shipping! I got mine from Creedmoor Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePat View Post
Not cheap - but well thought of by most position shooters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ways-Rifle-2...item53da73fa23
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Tomcat21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed333 View Post
I have been loaned a copy of "Position Rifle Shooting" by Bill Pullam and Frank Hanenkrat, copyright 1973.
Is the information in this book reliable and still relevant? Was/Is it well regarded?
I know that theories can change over time, and as an older noobie I don't want to waste time. The last formal instruction I had was on Parris Island over 50 years ago, figured I needed an update.
thanks, Ed
Here's a list of material available from the Civiliam Marksmanship Program (CMP). Good stuff and up to date. Lots of free material. Click on links within the link below.

http://www.thecmp.org/Training/CoachingResources.htm
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Ed333

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
tx

thanks to all for the excellent advice.
Ed