Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 AM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Final questions before I purchase my CZ

I'm getting ready to purchase my 1st CZ for Sporter 3P class competition this week and have just a few last minute questions before I take the plunge. Over the past few weeks I think that I have read about every post on every forum regarding the CZs and have tried to put to rest most of the questions that have come up in my head. Here are my last remaining questions (I promise :-)

1. For competing in the Sporter "T" class with a scope it seems like the preferred CZ model is the "American" as the comb height is higher than the hogback "Lux", "UltraLux", "Trainer", and "FS" type of stock. Does that sound about right ? Anybody compete with the "Lux" type stock with a scope and have no problem with it ?

2. Is the stock on the "Style" model with the higher "Monte Carlo" more comfortable for overall 3P shooting with a scope than the "American" stock ?

3. 452 vs 455 - In looking over all the posts I could find (some old and some new) there looks to be a strong preference for the 452 "American" vs the newer 455 version for many reasons. Is that still the opinion of most of the Sporter class competitors or has that opinion softened as more people have tried the newer version out ?

4. If I get the "American" 452 model for scope use, what open sights (front and rear) would you recommend to purchase so that I could also use this same gun for "O" class ?

5. What ammo seems to be the most favored for this rifle in Sporter class competition ? So far I see a lot of the Elay, Lapua, and Wolf mentioned. Any competition favorites consensus ?

6. Should I immediately piller and bed the "American" model ? Does it need it ?

I guess that's it for all the questions. I would appreciate any final guidence that you could offer.

Thanks as always
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1. For competing in the Sporter "T" class with a scope it seems like the preferred CZ model is the "American" as the comb height is higher than the hogback "Lux", "UltraLux", "Trainer", and "FS" type of stock. Does that sound about right ? Anybody compete with the "Lux" type stock with a scope and have no problem with it ?

The comb profile is the biggest reason folks choose the American and Varmint and Style and Sillhouette for T-Class. Some folks do, however, shoot with the European-styled stocks in T-Class with some success. You need only peruse the CMP photo gallary to see a few of them in use.

http://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p42160567/h37434a75#h36c5a94b

Some folks use their single Lux/Ultra Lux/Training Rifle/FS rifle for both T- and O-Class by just removing/installing the scope between the two.

2. Is the stock on the "Style" model with the higher "Monte Carlo" more comfortable for overall 3P shooting with a scope than the "American" stock ?

As noted by soopdave on RFS, the combo of the plastic stocked guns is slightly more level with a slight straight drop at the heel for the wood stocked ones. (I've not shot the St or Si so can't say as the American has been plenty comfortable for me.)

3. 452 vs 455 - In looking over all the posts I could find (some old and some new) there looks to be a strong preference for the 452 "American" vs the newer 455 version for many reasons. Is that still the opinion of most of the Sporter class competitors or has that opinion softened as more people have tried the newer version out ?

From the reviews I've read, there still is some down range precision differences between the two (the 452 being the better) though the gap seems to be narrowing as the 455 gets into more hands and folks are tuning them more for higher precision as well as CZ getting more accustomed to manufacturing them. Personally, I look at the results of folks shooting off of the bench to gage the 455s performance as it focuses more on the rifle than the shooters abilities in position.

4. If I get the "American" 452 model for scope use, what open sights (front and rear) would you recommend to purchase so that I could also use this same gun for "O" class ?

There are a number of options for the back end like Williams and Mendoza.

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-a-2008.html
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Mendoz..._Dovetail/2004

The front end, however, will be a bit of a challenge if you don't want to mill out a dovetail or drill and tap the barrel.

5. What ammo seems to be the most favored for this rifle in Sporter class competition ? So far I see a lot of the Elay, Lapua, and Wolf mentioned. Any competition favorites consensus ?

The overwhelming number of folks shooting CMP RS are using Wolf MT or ME or SK Standard Plus or Rifle Match, which are manufactured in the same place.

6. Should I immediately piller and bed the "American" model ? Does it need it ?

IMO, shoot the gun first out of the box or trigger modded before deciding.

I guess that's it for all the questions. I would appreciate any final guidence that you could offer.

Thanks as always

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD

Last edited by Ron V.; 11-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the help Ron and congratulations on your Camp Perry results !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. (To be truthful, however, the achievements I've done in the past are not too important to me. What are important are the failures. They are learning experiences that will make me a better shooter.)

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron V. View Post
Thanks. (To be truthful, however, the achievements I've done in the past are not too important to me. What are important are the failures. They are learning experiences that will make me a better shooter.)
After looking at your Camp Perry scores in all the classes it doesn't look like there is a whole lotta improvement needed :-) I feel like a guppie swimmin in a tank of sharks :-)

Per your recomendations I've almost got my CMP "Sporter" kit completed. Ordered a CZ 452 Lux and case and a Leupold 3 X 9 X 33 ELR rimfire scope and the B Square rings like yours yesterday and the Turner sling tonight. Have most of the rest from other shooting sports although I will probably pick up a new matt and maybe a Tubb hat as mine have worn out.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
PMY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron V. View Post
Somewhere Lanny Bassham just shuddered.