1st 597 Challenge - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1st 597 Challenge

Welcome all 597 owners to the 1st 597 Challenge.
Apologies for PhotoBucket holding our pix hostage. Igmur is a popular photo host site and if your are an RFC Team Member you can put up pix thru Manage Attachments from your computer or device, towards the bottom of the Reply when you click Reply.

I received several pm's to just get this show on the road so lets roll.
For speed and convenience we have adopted some rules from the 10/22 SuperStock games, which have worked well for them and should do likewise for us.
The goals are to shoot 1/4" or less at 25 yd, and or 1/2" or less at 50 yds. and having a good time testing yourself. If you qualify in both 25 and 50 yd you will not be permitted to reenter with the same gun.
A decent set of calipers; they can be the old fashion dial type, or the digital kind, but every target that requires group size measurement must be measured with calipers. Software based measuring programs will not permitted for any game, and your target will not be accepted if that is how you measured it.
RULES~Condensed version
You may qualify in both the 25 and 50 yd contest with the same gun, but can not reenter with the same gun in the same contest.

1~You must shoot 4 measuring holes, add and divide by 4 to get the average size of the hole. Bullet holes aren't always exactly the same size. Keep the measuring holes far enough away from the target groups so they can't be mistaken for flyers.

2~You must shoot 4 groups on the same piece of paper.

3~You must shoot 5 shot groups. That will be a total of 20 shots plus 4 shots for measuring holes. 24 shots total per entry.

4~You must measure the widest dia. of each target group, and then subtract the average dia. of the measuring hole from each of 4 targets groups. Write it on the target so we all can double check the figures.

5~You must then add all 4 targets and divide by 4 for the contest average.

6~All targets do not have to be under .25", but the average of all 4 targets must be .25" or less.

7~Show your math, sign and date the target.

8~Failure to follow the above rules will disqualify your entry.

Show a picture of your 597 with your entry so we know its not a 10/22.

I will repost, enter, this post in my initial, 1st 597 Challenge post. I can't make this any more simple guys.

Tip-Have your bullet holes, point of impact, POI, hit the target below your point of aim, POA, so as not to destroy your POA. Kinda hard to shoot at a + when it gets obliterated by bullet holes eh?

Rules~more detailed.
Measuring shots....

4 separate single shots must be fired from the same rifle, using the same ammo as used in the groups, and on the same target or piece of paper. These shots must be separate from each other, and separate from the groups shot, or the target will not count or qualify.

Measuring your target......

Part 1 - Measure each of your 4 measuring shots and record those measurements. Measure from the outside of the smudge marks left by the bullet, and not the actual hole in the paper. You will find that they will on average come out somewhere's between .215" and .230" depending on the ammo, and type of target paper used, but each shot must be measured and it's size recorded on the target next to the shot.
Next, using a calculator, add up all 4 shots, and divide by 4, this will give you your average measurement size, and this number will also be your subtractor for the group size measurements. This number should also be recorded on your target.

Part 2 - Measure the groups from the farthest two points of impact, measure from the outside smudge marks left from the bullet, and not the actual hole, then record this measurement for each of the 4 groups. Subtract the average measurement shot from each group, the remaining number will be your actual group size recorded for that target.

Part 3 -Average group size, this will require one more step or calculation. Take all 4 final group size measurements, add them up, and divide by 4 to get the over all group average.

Some final hints, and suggestions....
When doing your math on a calculator, always use the decimal point so the calculator can break it down.
We usually only use the "tenths", "Hundredths", and "Thousandths" after the decimal point, in other words, your score recorded should look like....( .250" ) and not ( .2495" )
Showing your math on the target will help avoid confusion and allow others to check your math.
Please date your targets to avoid dispute. A contrasting color behind the target will help define the bullet holes clearly. Here is an old homemade one for an example. Tell us the ammo used and a picture of your gun would be appreciated by fellow 597 owners.
We hope to have different 597 Challenge games in the future.
Enjoy the first 597 Challenge game.
.......Al the Infidel
:
The LIST of qualifiers!

WHO DAT 504 qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a very nice group of .192" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz WHO DAT 504.

WHO DAT 504 qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .411" with a 597-22 lr. Congrats WHO DAT 504.

Al the Infidel....qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .292" with a 597-17HMR Congratz old man.

Steelhead Dr. qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .379" with a 597-22 WMR Congratz Steelhead Dr.

stubshaft.........qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .202" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz stubshaft.

WHO DAT 504 qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .406" with a 597-22 Mag Congratz WHO DAT 504 on your 3rd entry.

Steelhead Dr....qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .199" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz on your 2nd entry Doc.

WHO DAT 504..qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .128" with a 597-22 Mag. Congratz WHO DAT 504 on your 4th entry.

Dead End.........qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .410" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz Dead End on your first entry.

Daletr..............qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .181" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz Daletr on your first entry.

Al the Infidel ...qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .148" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz to self.

WHO DAT 504 qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .144" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz WHO DAT 504 with your 5th entry with your new 597.

WHO DAT 504 qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .411" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz WHO DAT 504 with your 6th entry in the summer heat of of 2014 shooting Wolf MT.

Timberbeast……qualified for the 1/4" @ 25 yd with a group of .209" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz Timberbeast with your first entry.

Timberbeast……qualified for the 1/2" @ 50 yd with a group of .478" with a 597-22 lr. Congratz Timberbeast with your second entry.

R41DM4U53.....qualified for the 1/2" @ 50yd with a group of .3646" with a custom 597-22-Lilja barrel shooting Center-X. Congrats R41DM4U53 with your first entry. IMA excellent shooting with some fine junk box parts.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...1&d=1501938118
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010809.jpg (99.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 09-26-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Chris597
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But Al, It's cold out?
I'm in on this when the weather breaks!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
dbcar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Come on. Its like 30 degrees with a foot of snow here. I'll have to wait til Late March to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks Al for getting this up and running. I went and shot a little today in anticipation of this getting started. Started out using Wolf MT but I was not happy with the results. I switched over to CCI std. velocity and got these groups. Mine is a std. model 597 with a VQ hammer and extractor, floated barrel, and Mueller APV scope.

I also used a Caldwell Lead Sled and targets were shot @ 25yds.

Last edited by WHO DAT 504; 01-29-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
dbcar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice! Did you make those targets with a marker? Do you sight in an inch low?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just used a Sharpie and some printer paper. I only sight it like that when I'm target shooting so as not to destroy the aiming point on the first shot.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like you're first to make the 1st 597 Challenge LIST, WHO DAT. Congratulations. Now we have to make a LIST.
Bottom left woulda been sweet wo the flyer.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 01-29-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Looks like you're first to make the 1st 597 Challenge LIST, WHO DAT. Congratulations. Now we have to make a LIST.
Bottom left woulda been sweet wo the flyer.
Today I learned the hard lesson of different lots. I had shot groups as small as .120s with Wolf MT with this same setup. I wanted to shoot a new target for the first 597 Challenge, so I went with my new brick of Wolf and a box of CCI sv. I did'nt bother to measure the Wolf target but I know it would not have qualified. I was pleasntly suprised by the cheaper CCI,though. If I have time I'll try the 50 yd tommorow .
Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Steelhead Dr.

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
WMR's too?

Hey, Al. Can 597 WMR's play too?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
WMR's and HMR's welcome!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Welcome all 597 owners to the 1st 597 Challenge.
I received several pm's to just get this show on the road so lets roll.
For speed and convenience we have adopted some rules from the 10/22 SuperStock games, which have worked well for them and should do likewise for us.
The goals are to shoot 1/4" or less at 25 yd, and or 1/2" or less at 50 yds. and having a good time testing yourself. If you qualify in both 25 and 50 yd you will not be permitted to reenter with the same gun.
A decent set of calipers; they can be the old fashion dial type, or the digital kind, but every target that requires group size measurement must be measured with calipers. Software based measuring programs will not permitted for any game, and your target will not be accepted if that is how you measured it.
Measuring shots....

4 separate single shots must be fired from the same rifle, using the same ammo as used in the groups, and on the same target or piece of paper. These shots must be separate from each other, and separate from the groups shot, or the target will not count or qualify.

Measuring your target......

Part 1 - Measure each of your 4 measuring shots and record those measurements. Measure from the outside of the smudge marks left by the bullet, and not the actual hole in the paper. You will find that they will on average come out somewhere's between .215" and .230" depending on the ammo, and type of target paper used, but each shot must be measured and it's size recorded on the target next to the shot.
Next, using a calculator, add up all 4 shots, and divide by 4, this will give you your average measurement size, and this number will also be your subtractor for the group size measurements. This number should also be recorded on your target.

Part 2 - Measure the groups from the farthest two points of impact, measure from the outside smudge marks left from the bullet, and not the actual hole, then record this measurement for each of the 4 groups. Subtract the average measurement shot from each group, the remaining number will be your actual group size recorded for that target.

Part 3 -Average group size, this will require one more step or calculation. Take all 4 final group size measurements, add them up, and divide by 4 to get the over all group average.

Some final hints, and suggestions....
When doing your math on a calculator, always use the decimal point so the calculator can break it down.
We usually only use the "tenths", "Hundredths", and "Thousandths" after the decimal point, in other words, your score recorded should look like....( .250" ) and not ( .2495" )
Showing your math on the target will help avoid confusion and allow others to check your math.
Please date your targets to avoid dispute. A contrasting color behind the target will help define the bullet holes clearly. Here is an old homemade one for an example. Tell us the ammo used and a picture of your gun would be appreciated by fellow 597 owners.
We hope to have different 597 Challenge games in the future.
Enjoy the first 597 Challenge game.
.......Al the Infidel

OK, count me in, but it'll be next weekend before I can get to it.
Steve
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead Dr. View Post
Hey, Al. Can 597 WMR's play too?
ALL 597s in any shape, form, or configuration.
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After I eliminate my .22 cal 597 from the 597 Challenge, I have 2 597 WMR's to work with.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 PM
597forLife

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Got to hand it to you guys, I think I started a little wild fire here. I will definently have to buy that VQ barrep now!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM
cedestech

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
I'm sorry if I am to oblivious to notice, 3 or 5 shot groups?