Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:28 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine spring weak

I have 4 magazines that have problems feeding the rounds.
Out of 8-10 rounds in the magazine, about half put the round in the barrel.

I looked at the mag cleaning thread, and decided to disassemble and clean the mags that weren't feeding correctly.

When I took them apart, the spring in the weak mags had 3-4 coils showing. On some of my good working magazines there were 5-6 coils showing.

I slightly stretched out the weak springs to match the working springs length, cleaned the inside, and put them back together.

The buttons on the weak mags now take a bit more pressure to pull down to load them.
And yes the 3 on the left were bought when I bought my first Buckmark back in 1993.

I know I should replace the springs, but hoping this will work in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mags work.jpg (132.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dimeman; 10-05-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Magazine springs p/n B5152677 are $5 at Midwest Gun Works + shipping.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5152677

Nolan
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got online and ordered 4 springs, one button and one follower. Should have them in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Some of the older magazines I have had a different shape feeding lips - it may be hard to see in these photos. I made them all be consistent and haven't had a any feeding problems since.
https://i.imgur.com/ZKRKVZf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5LeI02x.jpg
If it isn't related to the last rounds in those magazines with "stacked" springs, I highly doubt it is due to the springs.

Last edited by aprilian; 10-07-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Moeregaard
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feeding problems can also be caused by the magazine follower's button dragging on the inside surface of the left-hand grip. Experienced this with a fairly new Camper a couple of years ago, and a set of aftermarket grips eliminated the problem.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:54 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeman View Post
When I took them apart, the spring in the weak mags had 3-4 coils showing. On some of my good working magazines there were 5-6 coils showing.
Yeah, springs take a set, and will compress a little over time and usage. Obviously, cleaning the magazine (body, follower, spring, and button) is the first thing to try to restore proper functioning. But the springs will eventually need to be replaced.

Since there are so few parts involved, and you have both working and non-working examples, and your malfunctions are so prevalent, it's easy to take a non-functioning magazine, and swap parts (one part at a time) with a working magazine, to figure out which part is causing the issue (when the non-working one starts working, and the working one starts having issues).

That being said, Tandemkross just announced new, extra-power, extra-long-life replacement magazine springs for Buckmarks. $10 for a pack of 3.
https://www.tandemkross.com/Green-Sp...ark_p_647.html If you get some and try them out, please let us know how they work for you.

Personally... I have 4 primary Buckmark magazines, that probably have 8,000+ rounds through them each, still using their original parts. I clean them occasionally, and there's no doubt in my mind that the springs will eventually wear out because that's just how springs work, but my experience is that Buckmark magazine springs last a very long time. In the case of these 4 mag springs, they are almost exclusively loaded with only 5 rounds at a time (bullseye shooting), and are only about 5 years old; those may be factors. But last time I tried them, my two mags that I bought in the early 90's still work, too.

Dave
Old 10-09-2019, 02:00 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On the old magazines I used to keep them loaded all the time.
Now that I have some extra mags I only keep a few full and rotate them so the springs will last longer.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 AM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They 3 mag springs on the left are from the 3 old magazines and the spring on the right is one of the three replacements I got today.
These made a huge difference in the feeding on the orange snap caps I bought to test the ejecting of the rounds by pulling the slide back. On the old springs about half the rounds got hung up feeding into the barrel, sticking in the top of the mag.
I loaded each of the 3 that had new springs with 10 dummy rounds and cycled them through at least 5 times on each mag. And the three on the left I had stretched out a bit, so they had been even shorter than they are now.
Works much better. I'm going to order some more for the other mags I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (276.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by dimeman; 10-10-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-16-2019, 05:31 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a feeding problem lately and had tightened the rails, barrel and made sure the top rail was straight. Also checked the operation of the slide and recoil parts. Did this on all my pistols.

Got 6 more magazine springs a few days ago, and this morning I went to the range with 10 mags to test before changing the springs.
Filled them up with CCI HV rounds and tested them in two different Buckmarks to see if any would not feed the rounds. Ran rounds through each mag at least 3 times. Had 6 that didnt work right.
On the old springs I have taken out, with the spring in the mag housing with the follower out, there are between 3 to 5 coils above the top of the mag. The new springs have at least 7 coils above the top. The new springs are longer and stiffer than the old ones I have been replacing............Even after stretching out some of the old ones to the length of the new springs----they collapse back shorter after putting rounds in the mag.
The new springs have been working great in the mags I already changed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag springs.jpg (89.4 KB, 1 views)