Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
FiremanFrank

Got you listed as #50 in the "13 MM" funner game. Congratz! Fantastic shooting with an accurate rifle. Keep it up, you're doing great! It must be good to own so many accurate rifles. Looking forward to your next project.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Thanks for the listing. Yes, I do enjoy my rifles and I have several I expect should make it. I just picked up an old Western Wards 47 that I hope to give a spin as soon as the gunsmith gets the Havlin side mount on for me. Old eyes and accuracy don't go together. Having fun and trying hard.

- Frank
Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I gave this a run this morning and was doing great until I pulled the last shot with my Savage/Anschutz 64. I shot a .398, .254, .272 and then a darn .520 that was looking good until the very last shot. I had to go into work so I couldn't shoot anymore today but I will be back next week.
Hope to make it next time. Thanks for keeping this game in action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Sounds like you are having a terrible time with that Savage/Anschutz 64. Just because we are friends, I'll give you $100 for that worrisome hunk of metal, and free your mind up for other projects. lol!

Keep shooting! Looks like it's coming around to your way of thinking! I'm tinkering with the 541T and getting about 2 or 3 fantastic groups, then ........ up jumps the devil.....? I feel your pain.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
trimguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ammohog, I have a target for you to look at if you dont mind. I ran in to a magic box of Auto Match that shoots well out of my CZ. I decided to see if I could make this game with it..........

I shot this target with my CZ 452 Varmit shown here on top of an old tractor of mine.

Thanks for running the game I enjoyed it
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Very nice shooting. Automatch has been a crapshoot for me as you never know how good of a lot you might get. I would look for more of that same lot # and buy every box I could lay my hands on.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
trimguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post
Very nice shooting. Automatch has been a crapshoot for me as you never know how good of a lot you might get. I would look for more of that same lot # and buy every box I could lay my hands on.
Idid just that Frank. I bought just one box of it at first cause I didnt know what it might be like. I took it home and tried it out and hauled back to Wally World and bought the last 3. It still is a 90% ammo you never know when its gonna throw one.
I tried it real hard in the 100 MOA game it shot some nice groups but I couldnt quite over come the fliers.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Very good shooting, Trimguy. With AutoMatch, no less! Your name has been posted in "da club" with the other accomplished shooters. Congratz! That is a fine looking rifle, and shoots great with AutoMatch! You are one lucky guy!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
trimguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Very good shooting, Trimguy. With AutoMatch, no less! Your name has been posted in "da club" with the other accomplished shooters. Congratz! That is a fine looking rifle, and shoots great with AutoMatch! You are one lucky guy!
Thanks alot Ammohog. I have shot alot of cheap ammo thru this CZ it shoots Auto Match well if I have the right box. I got lucky and found the right lot I guess
Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Remington 541T

Fun day at the range. The Remington 541T with the highly debated BEC 4-16X50 at 14X. Using a Caldwell plastic front rest and a Stoney Point rear rest, the SK+ did well with the NNW wind at 3 mph. For a good while, I couldn't get the 541T to group well. After a close examination, the barrel had an excessive amount of lead buildup. I tried JB paste, kroil, and flitz. No help. Finally, I tried some Shooters Choice Lead Remover. I almost followed instructions , after the initial wetting and scrub with the bronze brush, patched till clean. Then wet with 2 soaked patches, 15 strokes, and a 15 minute soak, 10 more strokes. Patch till clean and repeat. Followed up with some Kroil with a nylon brush and patched. Range time. Seems like I had some good luck with the Shooters Choice Lead Remover. That's not all, I did put a pressure pad between the end of the stock and the barrel. That seemed to give me the accuracy I needed to make the game. Yes, I am a happy RFC'r.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
trimguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good job Ammohog. Looks like you got your problems solved. Dont you love it when a plan comes together? Nice target and rifle
Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Good shooting. I just shot my 541-T at the range today but I haven't tried SK standard plus in it just yet. While mine shows promise I hope it can come close to yours.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Thanks, guys. I have learned more about the 541T than I really wanted to. The one I have has been bedded, and I don't know if they came that way or was done by a previous owner. I have also found out that some have a problem with first shot fliers, usually fixed by removing the barrel and using loctite red to reinstall. Dodged that bullet. I also know they are prone to collecting lead in the barrel. I guess the Shooters Choice Lead Remover just got added to the cleaning list. Overall, it looks better than the photo, and now it shoots like a dream. Now I'm going to try to work some magic on the Rem Model 5, it almost made it on the last attempt.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
AmmoHog, on my 541-T it throws the first two shots and then settles down if the barrel is cold. How did you find out you had a leading problem? Is it something you can see?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I can only see it if it streaks. Then again, my glasses are fairly thick. lol! Try some Shooters Choice Lead Remover with a bronze brush and see if the problem goes away. Usually, I've noticed in other rifles the "silver" specks when cleaning, usually lead or you have a really crooked aluminum cleaning rod. After using the Lead Remover for several applications, if the problem still persist you might think about buying some loctite red. The first two shots could also be enough for the barrel to heat up enough to form a mechanical bond to the receiver, however.... this is the same symptom of leading. I would try removing the lead first. There may be so much buildup you will notice improvement for a while and then it will go back to it's wicked ways. Then you can get serious about lead removal. But, do try several applications before you start pulling barrels. I'm sure if you have access to a bore scope of some type, the answer is simple ..... AH
Closed Thread