Suhl Benchrest Rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
cladd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Suhl Benchrest Rifle

I am seeking opinions on purchasing a Suhl rifle for local ARA benchrest matches. I currently have an all factory Anschuz 64 MPR with 3 inch wide rail on the forearm and a Sako Finnfire with Lilja barrel, Stith stock and Harrel tuner that I shoot - my scores with both guns average anywhere from 1700 to 1900 per target. I am looking at a Suhl with factory trigger and factory barrel with tuner in a benchrest stock. I'm not certain the factory Suhl will gain me much over what I have - thoughts are appreciated. Is the Suhl action an improvement over the Sako and Anschutz 64? I was thinking I could rebarrel the Suhl if it does not shoot well.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sell the 2 rifles you currently have plus the money you would spend on a Suhl and buy a Turbo or Hall.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
tom c.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
jeez rj they must have sold you a real lemon. put it up for sale
i'm sure someone here will buy it. then you can buy a turbo which
by the way i hear are pretty rough out of the box and take alot
of work to smooth up. then you won't have to come here
anymore and do the suhl bashing thing. most people seem pretty
happy with theirs. i remember not long ago the 17 and a half inch
twist benchmark barrels were the ones everyone wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
ek-marlin-424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm going to be replacing the position stock on my 150-1 this winter with a benchrest stock, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tom,
It's just experience speaking. I started out with an Annie 64, then got a 40x now I have a Hall. For the cost of the Annie and the 40x I could have started out with the Hall. It did require some detailing work. So does the Suhl rec. The Hall bolt almost opens itself. The Suhl bolt will always be a wresting match in comparison. Anytime you drop an unexpected point you are thinking "Did I unsettle the rifle in the bags when opening the bolt?"

Over my life I have gained a tremendous amount of experience in the realm of 'false economy'. Spending $1500 on a $500 rifle is a perfect example. Spending $2000 on a $2000 rifle is just good sense.

If you get a Suhl like Derek's then put a tuner on it. Maybe even put one of Don's stocks on it [ as long as you can do it yourself ]. But when you start thinking of threading the rec and adding a better bbl STOP.

Ray
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
tom c.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i guess i'm just used to my suhl and others, any that cock on
opening are going to have some resistance, i have some mausers
that cock on closing i sure don't like that as well. next time i see
my friend with his halls at the range i'll try them again. i've shot
them before never really noticed enough to make an impression.
a swindlehurst i shot was the smoothest of any gun i've ever
tried and it made a lasting impression. good luck with your suhl if
you keep it. no gun and shooter and ammo combination is perfect
otherwise it would be rather boring with 2500's and 250 25x's
being shot consistantly. it would be like an iroc race, some of those
put me to sleep.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My opinion is probably not worth much but I''ll share it anyway. The Sako probably needs a Jewell trigger to be competitive, The 64 is not a desireable platform for benchrest.
I have two Halls, Two Suhls. Two 54 Annies Two 37 Remingtons, Four Sakos and have had five Turbos( all five were sent down the road). All are in benchrest setups. The Suhls shoot at least as well as the best of the others. You will probably need a new barrel. Threaded action or not is insignificant. The barrel will add about $600 to your investment.
The Hall and Turbos will need triggers, barrels and stocks. $2000 is a good start but plan on at least $2500.
Don
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
sofarfrome

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My $0.02

sell both and keep an eye on BR central for a nice rig. I just looked and saw at least 2 that would get you much further ahead than where you are right now for less than $2K. Also, take a look at Killough sports. He always has some nice rigs for sale less than $2K.

Last edited by sofarfrome; 11-11-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
hi2utoo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Throw my 2 cents worth in here, for I spent most of the year competing against a guy in the area I live who shoots a Suhl and he wins often. He's got multiply other very nice benchrest rigs, 40X, Turbo, but I see him shooting the Suhl most of the time. Note that it's not stock, after market barrel and stock. I shot at approx 30 matches this year and saw multiply Suhls on the line and the few that still had the original barrels didn't do well. As the one gentleman stated Dan's got a couple of them listed on his site, one smithed by Bill Myers and another by Gene Davis. Who knows maybe they are shooters for the smiths who built them are known for such.

http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/Webs/Rifles.html

Les
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could also attend a shoot (perhaps in the spring) and ask around. Someone undoubtedly has a gun for sale.

Try it and you may like it. The advantage is that at the shoot anyone will let you shoot a gun-esp if it is for sale.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i'll say this for benchrest central. i got my suhl from there. the guy i got it from told me it would shoot asprins at 50 yards with wolf m/e. boy did he sell me the best rifle i have ever owned. i added a tuner and changed the stock. boy changing the stock was the worst mistake i have ever made. i'm sure don stiths stock will put it back in line when it arrives.

the hall started out shooting great and got worse as the year went on. i recrowned it before the last match and shot the best scores with it. i knew the suhl out shot it from get go, but i had $2375 in the hall and was going to shoot it come heck or high water.

i rebarreled it after last summer. i also found out the bedding was broke into pieces after the last match. next year i hope to do much better with the hall. if not i will be shooting the suhl. my suhl is a older model with a 16 3/4 twist. the 3/4 could be off, but i know the 16 is right. the factory barrel is tight and it shoots danged well after adding the tuner and testing eley test lots.

bench rest central classifieds has given me my best shooting rifle and a $2375 lemon. the thing you have to wonder is if they are selling a problemed rifle or if they had a winner and was trying to biuld something even better. it's a crap shoot at best. so far i'm 50/50 on my purchases.

next time 'ill have my smith pick up a new action for me. i'll get a don stith stock(i love perty wood and don makes them danged perty) a new barrel and trigger. no more buying rifles i can't shoot first.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
cladd

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Suhl

Don Stith - sent you you an e-mail.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if you get a stith stock you won't regret it one bit. when i get mine back from being finished i'll post pictures of it!! don you made one heck of a great looking stock for my hall!!!! i'll be sending you pictures of it. you need to upgrade your site and put pictures of stocks your purchasers have finished on there so you can have a testament photo section on your site.

i know there are a bunch out there and seeing pictures of other peoples stocks could really boost your sales alot!!! your stocks are great!!!

i simply can not wait(but i'm not going to rush you one bit) to get my suhl stock from you!!! if it is as nice as the hall stock i'm going to go nuts!!!!! i'll have the 2 best looking rifles at buckcreek matches even if i don't win!!!!

Last edited by derekcasey; 11-12-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Derek
I shipped the Suhl stock to you today. Either water or alcohol based stains will really make the stripes jump out for you. Stay away from oil based stains
Don
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what about tru oil don? is it oil based(i'm guessing it is). what about high gloss polyurathane? i know it yellows up in time, but would it bring the stripes out good? that is what we put on the hall stock and man it is amazing for sure!! those birdseyes really pop now!! the wall nut is good and dark with grain showing in it as well. man that stock is great!! when i get it together check your e-mail. i'm sending you pictures of it take with my grlfriend digital camera. you did very well on this one for sure!!! i love it!!

Last edited by derekcasey; 11-12-2009 at 11:34 PM.