Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
singleshotcajun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New to Suhl

I just picked up two Suhl 150 3P style rifles. Both have only one spacer for the butt stock and I'm 6'5" so I need to build or find spacers for them. I can build them but if anyone knows of ones that will fit that would be much easier. I purchased these from Century as "good incomplete" . This is always a dice roll but I usually get lucky on them. In the last two years I've bought two Israeli Mausers and my current Vostok match rifle this way with good results. One of the Suhls has a faint crack at the wrist which will be easily fixed. Both are missing the rear sight. Both bores "look" Excellent and overall the rifles are mechanically sound with very minor scrapes on the wood.They both came with complete front sights .I think I'll install a WIlliams Foolproof rear sight on one and scope the other. I currently shoot a 3 lugged Vostok Ural with an Anschutz style rear sight in club 3p matches but might want to it give a month off every now and then and I have always admired the Suhl 150 series of rifles. I called my rep at Century two weeks ago to order another Vostok and he told me about the small number of Suhls that they had and that the deal on them was no return for any reason so I gambled on them and am happy I did. It is a little nerve racking ordering a rifle sight unseen with no return.If Allan had posted his before I ordered I would have ordered from him, I have in the past and get warm fuzzies when I do.SO does anyone know of a source for butt stock spacers ?
Happy new Suhl owner.

Last edited by singleshotcajun; 10-29-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
PM sent.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
singleshotcajun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The one with the hairline crack on the wrist was already repaired, not exactly how I would have done it but a sturdy repair with a wood screw and epoxy. Instead of going the length of the grip someone came in from the receiver side at an angle with the screw and it seems to be strong so I am just dressing the outside of the crack. This rifle was also missing the forward action screw bushing consequently was loose in the stock, a replacement bushing was easily made.The bolts on these rifles are very substantial and most of the rifle seems to be a dup of an Anschutz 54. I took the bolts apart and cleaned out a ton of cosmoline, now the lock times are quicker. The triggers are a thing of beauty and an engineering masterpiece.With the help of the schematics found on Rimfirecentral I easily adjusted the triggers to single stage with no creep and a VERY light let off. I bought a cheapy Tru Glo 6x24x44 fine crosshair scope for it but did not have tall enough rings in my stash for it so I mounted a really cheap NC star 4x32 and if time and weather permits I'm shooting it this afternoon. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 12:04 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You should check the twist. Some are 19.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
singleshotcajun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shot this afternoon, in a light rain with howling wind . The cross hairs on the NC Star are very thick but at 25 off bench I am pleased. Tried Remington target,Aguila Match Rifle,and Eley Club. After three shots of Eley Club I had to remove my bolt and check for a squib because there was only one hole in the paper, no squib. I proceeded to put another ten in the same hole. On my way home I bought some Millet tall rings and at home mounted the Tru Glo scope.The radius of the Suhl receiver is smaller than normal so I had a gap in between the bottom of the rings and the receiver(slight) filled it in with Devcon. Too busy to shoot again this weekend but next Friday can't come soon enough. I should have the Williams Anschutz rear sight for the other rifle by then.
The twist rate on mine is 1 in 12.

Last edited by singleshotcajun; 10-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I hope mine likes the Eley Club as I bought a brick hoping it would suffice for the Extreme Rimfire Silhouette matches. $12 a box for Match EPS is a bit EXTREME for that match. The Club doesn't do worth a crap in any of my rechambered rifles.

12 twist - Say what ?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
singleshotcajun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I measured it twice, yup 1 in 12. I still have not got round to checking the other rifle. What is the standard rate ? I might see if I can patch up tighter and check it again. Whatever it is it is a shooter.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
16 is the industry standard. Some of the Suhl's came with a slower twist. I'm going to reread the sticky up top.

I have heard of people using their bore scope for checking the twist so I think that is what I will try.