Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Red face I gave my Single Six a face lift!

Well... I broke up the twins... selling one of my Single Six Bisleys to my sister and giving the other a face lift. ... but it's a good thing.

I like the feel of the Bisley grip, but I was never as crazy for the look or the balance with the 4 5/8" barrel.

Since Ruger doesn't make a 4 5/8" standard model with fixed sights in stainless I got up the guts and decided to do some parts swapping. I was still a little intimidated with the possibility of any timing issues, but I figured if I goof if up too much, I'll send it to a pro.

My original plan was to get a Super Single Six and swap grip frames, hammer, trigger, and cylinders, but after grabbing one of each of the re-release of the polished GKNR-5 and 6 model... I liked the look so much that I decided to find someone out there to swap parts with to make a GKNR-4 out of one of my Bisleys.

I was asking Ketchum Quick about his experience as he has converted a couple of standards to Bisleys and we ended up striking a deal with each other to swap a set of parts.

As luck would have it, our grip frames were extremely close to each other. The side to side fit was near perfect and I only had to file a little down the sides just in front of the trigger guard as the difference was enough that it could be felt with my finger. I did this with them apart and putting them together frequently to check it, until it was just right. My reason for that was to disturb as little of the receiver as possible.

Now the receiver (and I kick myself for not taking before pics) was about 10 thousandths taller than the grip frame on each side of the trigger above the screws. I put the two together for this with all 5 screws and no other parts and with some mini-files went to work. It took a little time to get it just right, but I'm very pleased with the fit.

We had also swapped cylinders as I wanted the standard fluted. I thought it would be funny to have a Bisley cylinder on a pistol that was no longer a Bisley. Unfortunately our cylinders had different diameter gears on them. His was an older series and they measured .550" and mine being a newer series measuring .590". They worked in our pistols, but we both had issues. The new cylinder would time with the trigger, but when spinning it to unload, the pawl would often get hung on the outside of the gear. KQ also had issues with the Bisley cylinder. Well, instead of swapping back I decided that I would try to find a newer cylinder and made a deal with KQ to just buy my Bisley cylinder.

I had an ad running here and on the Ruger forum as well as searching high and low on Gunbroker and the other auctions sites. I was looking on Auction Arms and just got a wild hair to search for "22 cylinder" leaving out "Ruger" or "Single Six" and there wasn't that many, but there was one lone stainless steel 22 cylinder. I looked in the auction and although the pics were a little blurry, it sure enough looked like a Single Six cylinder to me and it looked to have the wider gear as it cleary came to the edge of the rim recess of each chamber like my Bisley cylinder did. Being over excited that I had found one and too impatient to chase the auction, I asked the seller if he would be willing to set a buy it now price. He was willing to oblige and set the price to a more than fair $25 plus $5.75 shipping.

Well the cylinder arrived today and with some more luck... the timing is great and you could hardly ask for a better fit from the factory.

After sanding the unpolished frame, cylinder, and filed areas with various fine sandpaper, I still have a bit of polising to do, but here it is...

...and the other side.

I ended up swapping grips with the laminate ones from my 6.5" as the rosewood ones (I think that's what they are) that I got from KQ look really good on longer pistol... kinda old school.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...0&postcount=34

Anyway, I can't wait to try it out!

Last edited by JEE; 10-17-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Ketchum Quick

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Jee that looks great! I wish it were mine !!!

Nice job there.

Jay
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Thanks Jay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM
kitkin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey Jee send me that fine piece and I'll break it in for you.
Or just come on over to Ky and we will waste some of my moldy ammo
I got a backyard range and lots of targets.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Well I got a chance to do a little plinking with my nephew and his friend yesterday with some Agulia Super Colibri's. We set up some soda cans and some other plastic bottles back in my Dad's field. He had a small bag of limes that were no good, so we put those on top of some of the bottles.

It was too funny... on my very first shot I took one of the limes right off the bottle at 50 feet! This smiley best describes the look on both their faces ---> I looked at them as serious as I could without busting out laughing as I knew that the next 5 shots wouldn't hold to that standard. I then said after a short pause... "you boys do know that was a lucky shot?... heck, I was aiming at the bottle!"

If I had not been so surprised myself and been a little more witty... I could have just opened the gate and handed the pistol off to my nephew... saying... "yep... it shoots just fine" and put them on for a little bit.

Anyway, we had a heck of a good time and the newly formed 4 5/8" baby Varquero performed flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkin View Post
Hey Jee send me that fine piece and I'll break it in for you.
I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkin View Post
Or just come on over to Ky and we will waste some of my moldy ammo
I got a backyard range and lots of targets.
If I was closer, I might take you up on that offer.

Last edited by JEE; 10-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
deputy tom
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JEE,that is beautiful.Ruger should have that gun in their line up.tom.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
skipper
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks great shoots great what more can you ask for.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 AM
reakin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been wanting to find one of those 4-5/8 Bisleys for a while now to do a similar conversion on. Except I want to put on a birsdhead gripframe. I'll have to modify the hammer, because I want to keep the Bisley hammer in it (need to grind off the hump). Make kind of a sherriff's version of the single six.

reakin
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Ketchum Quick

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Jee's Bisley cylinder ended up in the stainless one in this picture.

Thanks Jee!

Jay
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Cool...

It looks good.

Did you convert another or did you figure a way around the spindle being larger?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Ketchum Quick

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A good metal lathe is all that I needed.

Happy Thanksgiving Jay!

The other Jay
Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 AM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchum Quick View Post
A good metal lathe is all that I needed.
Nice!... it's great when things work out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The other other Jay.