Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
I had a mossberg 144LS that liked pressure on the barrel as well. im just saying it helped the consistency of my varmint.
The stock on my 121 touches in certain places, and some places are really tight, where others barely touch. I'm going to take it over to a friends house later this week and we're going to open it up. If it was tight all the way around, I might leave it as is, but it's not so we'll so how floating it works.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
based on the position of the action screw in my 121 and the fact that it has shot close to 1/4" groups at 25y w/ CCI std velocity, i dont know if floating would help it or not. it shouldnt hurt it though. they are old .22s that were inexpensive in their day, i guess i just dont expect much out of them.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
based on the position of the action screw in my 121 and the fact that it has shot close to 1/4" groups at 25y w/ CCI std velocity, i dont know if floating would help it or not. it shouldnt hurt it though. they are old .22s that were inexpensive in their day, i guess i just dont expect much out of them.
What does the position of the action screw have to do with it? I've been meaning to ask, is there a certain torque rating for the screw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
IIRC the action screw is pretty far forward in the action on my 121 and i seem to remember thinking if i sanded the channel it would probably cause the barreled action to rock in the stock and the barrel may still rub. this is just from memory because i havent had my 121 out of the stock in a couple years.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would it be hard to add a second screw to make it a little more stable? I'm friends with the machinist at the factory I work in, so I could probably give him a few bucks to tap the receiver if it's something that would work.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
i havent had mine apart in a long time, but you might be able to. id probably dovetail the bottom of the action then use a lug rather then just thread the receiver.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok I'm not sure what that is. Would the lug be something I could get from somewhere like Brownell's and fit it to my rifle?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, I looked at my Brownell's catalog, and it just so happened that when I flipped it open, I turned right to the pages with the Acraglas and some pillars. I had looked at those before and wondered how they worked, but now that I think about it, it should be possible to add two to my rifle. The stock has a very small insert, so I could probably remove that and replace it with an actual pillar, and then add a second one just before my trigger guard. So the top of the pillar should be contoured to match the bottom of the reciever, right? I was looking at getting a new stock for it, but I haven't had any luck finding anything (even custom), so I might just keep the old one and pillar bed it once we get our tax refund.

Last edited by Superbeast 22LR; 01-26-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Superbeast 22LR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen a few different "how-tos" on pillar bedding, and they talk about putting them between the receiver and trigger guard. The back screw of my trigger guard is slightly behind the end of the receiver, so it couldn't take a pillar. The front screw isn't at a perfect 90 degree angle with the receiver, so it would almost have to be in front of the trigger guard. It would still be a good way back from the existing mounting bolt so the two wouldn't be right next to each other. So I would just have to drill the holes in my stock, trim the length of the pillars, contour the tops to match the bottom of the receiver, then bed them into the stock, right? Oh, and tap the bottom of the receiver for the second mount. Does that sound about right?