Shooting Bench - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM
1z4u2c
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Shooting Bench

I finally figured out how to convert all this into a .jpeg so you guys could download and print. This is based on a bench from the net that I made. I added my own detailed instructions. The bench is portable and very heavy (good for steadyness). The leg couplers are welded to the flat bar plates. The birch on mine was stained blue with rit dye and sealed with poly. I hope that if any of you make one you could post some pictures of it? Thanks[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic of mine...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 1z4u2c; 08-21-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very nicely written up!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
RimfireAU
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
very nice write up
I think we should set up a sticky of all the different designs and also pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM
RimfireAU

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
heres my bench
it started off life as $13 thift store find
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Cheap and Easy

I've made some like those above ,but fall back on this cheap and easy portable option more times than not. i Everyone knows what i mean when I say "Workmate" If not ,you know the folding little portable saw horse work table B&D and other s make. You can get the small ones for around $25.00 Thats all you need to start . then take a peice of plywood the size you need and cut to the shape for the top. screw a 1X1 1/2" strip to the underside of the plywood top lenght wise. All you need to do is set this on top of the work mate and crank the clamping top to the strip on the under side . the whole thing even when clamped together folds flat when you colapse the workmate.I made one .. Makes a quick lite wieght portable bench Mine is smaller for portability in the field ,you can make the top what ever size you like .but too lage will compromise stability . A lite kick on the inside of the legs settle it in to a solid bench with little trouble or time. I want to add some carpet to part of the top so the little HM2 rds don't keep trying to roll away on me. all you need is a 5 gal bucket for a seat . -- -- I was aked to post this again on this thread, this is fro the guys who want shooting time vs time making a bench."Quick and easy" I've made a better one ,but this one get more use as to it's portability lite weight etc. --JMJ--
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
worriedman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Homemade portable bench

My version.

Folds flat to ride in the truck bed. Two layers of plywood, 1/2" and 3/8" glued and screwed together. Cut outs used as struts for strength and to build up the legs to fold over each other flat. Put the rib around the outside to keep small stuff, shells and such, from rolling off. Ran a router bit to keep the left side from being sharp.

Last edited by worriedman; 08-22-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
All4fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
Good idea for a thread. The details on my bench are posted here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=226919

Here is bjkearns shooting his CZ Varmint on the bench at Orosco Ridge in the Cleveland National Forest:

Last edited by All4fun; 08-22-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:44 PM
jsnby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found plans for the booger bench and showed them to my father-in-law. He made these for us to shoot off of.

The table legs came from Home Depot. He used a quarter sheet of 3/4" plywood that he had lying around for each bench

We're both right-handed shooters, so he only made the cutouts on one side.

They work really well. They're not as stable as a concrete bench, but they were plenty stable for us. We shot AR's, AK's, an SKS, an M1 Garand, and of course our 10/22's off them without issue.

Images below link to larger images.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Old barbecue grill conversion

This I made out of an old Sunbeam barbecue grill, piece of 5/8" ply and a few carriage bolts. Works for me.......

pipestone
Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Joe Haller
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Joe Haller
Moveable but heavy bench plan:

Here is the plan of the benches we have at our club at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. We wanted benches that could be moved back to make room for our prone shooters, but we wanted them stable too. Two men can move this bench, but it gives a solid base to shoot from. Legs made from 6 inch well casings. We started out with 10 of these benches, build 25 years ago. Still look good and are still solid. We now have 24 of them.

Picture of one of the benches with a high tech seat made from a section of telephone pole:
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Joe Haller
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Joe Haller
Mission Texas bench Plan

Here is the plan for benches we build down in Mission, Texas. Real solid, but they can not be moved. Cost less for material than the benches we built at Sault Ste. Marie.

Picture of the 11 benches on the Mission Range:
Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 PM
bucks11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's mine I threw together for about $17.....It's my first attempt, so don't bash it too much...

Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 AM
RimfireAU

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
looks good bucks
what thickness of plywood did you use
some I add on of these to my table on the legs
http://www.lindcraft.com/product_details/S15.html
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
bucks11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a 1/2" ply with a piece of ~1/2" treated on top of that......just some scraps I found in the garage. Made a frame of 1x4s to screw the legs to. Shot some layers of liquid nails and put a few screws thru it and this is what I ended up with.
I haven't shot from it yet, but I'll keep the sandbags in mind, however I don't think I'll have any trouble with it (it weighs on the upwards of about 30 lbs, still portable though) as I'll be shooting mainly rimfires from it.

Last edited by bucks11; 08-28-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Rembrandt

banned for advocating animal cruelty
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Built this Shooting Bench for the "Rembrandt Hunting Lodge". Thought I might share some pics of the project. Needed something that could be easily moved, right or left handed, fully adjustable for adults or kids, and weather proof.

Materials list is a follows:
- (1) 3/4"X4'X8' sheet pressure treated plywood
- (2) 2"X10' lengths of black pipe
- (1) 3/4"X12" All Thread
- (3) 3/4 nuts & washers
- (12) 3/8"X4" Galvanized carriage bolts & nuts
- (1) 18" diameter Disc blade
- (3) 1/4"X4"X4" plate

Recently removed a radiator heat system from the Hunting Lodge and had lots of heavy black pipe that was going to the scrap yard. Saved it to be used for our new gun and archery range.

After cutting to proper length a tube bender was used to make the frame and legs of the shooting bench.

Bench design uses a 3 legged format with two identical pieces of formed pipe.

After bending the pipe they are welded at one end with the framework in a "V" pattern.

Next step was to cut the 3/4" treated plywood sheet in half (4'X4'), then glue and screw both halves together....making an 1 1/2" thick top for the bench.

After the plywood is glued and screwed together, cutouts are made for the right and left handed shooters. Saved these scrap cutouts for a bench seat top. Edges are sanded and smoothed.

Holes are drilled through the wood and pipe, insert carriage bolts.

Last edited by Rembrandt; 08-28-2008 at 09:57 PM.