Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Jon223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Savage misfires....

My new savage mark II is misfiring about every twenty or thirty rounds. I am wondering why its doing that. I have dry fired it a bit, but no more than any one else would. Does it need to be broken in or something....this would suck if I were to get a misfire on every ten squirrels I shoot at. The unfired cases have a little etch mark on them where the pin scratches them, and they all go off on the second try. Whats the deal? Its with PMC, Power Points, Mini Mags, any ammo.

Grrr
Old 01-18-2003, 09:36 AM
DougJr.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Misfires

Hi John,
I have a MK II that shoots very well and I have not had any problem with misfires. The firing pin seems to hit very soundly and leaves a very pronounced mark on the casing. I would not see why a break in period would make a difference. As a matter of fact, I shoot several other Rimfires and none seem to hit the case as hard as the MKII. I truly enjoy my MKII and hope you get to enjoy your's as much as I do mine.
DougJr.
P.S. I just picked up a couple of boxes of PMC ammo Match Rifle Optimized for bolt actions, lot# 140799051. I have never tried any of this ammo before and can't understand why it can be better for both bolt actions than any other actions. Have you used this ammo before, what do you think of it in comparison to other types?
Old 01-21-2003, 10:09 PM
beitzell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to beitzell Send a message via MSN to beitzell Send a message via Yahoo to beitzell
I've run about half a brick through my new Mark II so far and have only one mis-fire.

I 've used Remington high velocity, target and Dynamit-Nobel RWS target. I'm gonna try some Wolf target next.

The one thing I can think of would be to check the firing pin to make sure it is free floating. Maybe there is some gunk in the slot.

If it is still giving you trouble try calling Savage Arms tech support. It's not a free call but they are real nice people and should be able to help you. (413) 568-7001 is there number.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 01:55 AM
Ranger Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clean the crud around the bolt face. That should fix you up. The Savage bolt rifles are good 22's.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Jon223

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
no i havent tried the PMC ammo yet, and i cant see why it would be better in a bolt than any other action. I'll try cleaning the bolt head. I hope it works
thanks