Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:42 PM
thoslos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Savage 17Need opinions

Just bought a new Savage 17 w/hardwood stock. Feels good but trigger has lots of creep. Any way to eliminate creep on factory trigger assy. Marlins are easier to work. Can I expect a good shooter or should I have looked for a Marlin? Have a cheap Blazer"Simmons" scope I may put on till I can afford a more worthy scope. Am going to use Millet medium height rings. Will these be tall enogh for 40mm scope or should I go with hih rings? Opinions please.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Johnny B.Good

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
93 trigger

I just bought the same gun.I replaced the trigger return spring with one from a "clickster" .05 mechanical pencil.You have to tighten the adjustment screw until the trigger returns to position easily.After that I stoned the sear lightly and polished it with 600 grit sandpaper.The result is a good hunting weight trigger but still a little creepy for bench rest shooting.I may drill and tap the sear for an adjustment screw ala the rifle basix model.I'm a machinist so it should be a simple enough job.I'll post the results if I decide to do it.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:48 AM
sew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JBG,

Does you Savage trigger have allot of side-to-side movement? Mine seem pretty loose, like it needs shimmed a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 08:53 AM
sew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thoslos,

Because the 93 does not have much outside taper on the front part of the receiver, I had to use weaver xtra high rings for a 42mm scope.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:06 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thoslos,

I use a Tasco 6X24X44 TS scope and a set of B-Square medium rings gave me all the clearence needed on my 93FVSS. One thing I have noticed is that one companies high rings are may actually be shorter than another companies medium rings. I don't think there is an industry standard. I got the B-Squares at a local sporting goods store for less than 10 bucks. Of course they may be easier to find around here since it is a local company.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Johnny B.Good

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SEW

My trigger doesnt seem to have excess side play.If yours does,shims might be worth a try.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:12 PM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by gmcfixer
thoslos,

I use a Tasco 6X24X44 TS scope and a set of B-Square medium rings gave me all the clearence needed on my 93FVSS. One thing I have noticed is that one companies high rings are may actually be shorter than another companies medium rings. I don't think there is an industry standard. I got the B-Squares at a local sporting goods store for less than 10 bucks. Of course they may be easier to find around here since it is a local company.
Just an update, here is a pic of my gun to show you the clearance with the rings mentioned. I guess its kinda hard to tell with the shadow in the pic, but there is about .180" clearance at its closest point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sav22mag.jpg (20.9 KB, 359 views)
Old 01-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Coltdriver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got one of the 93R17 GV's from Savage just a couple of months ago.

This is one tack driving gun! I have settled on a 50 yard zero with a B&L 3X9 40 scope on it.

At fifty yards I can choose the one inch square I want to shoot, nail it and then put a second round in the same square touching the first hole. I was at the range a week ago and could do this over and over. Just the most accurate rifle I have ever had.

For rings I got a set of Leupold Weaver rings. They are steel and have a straight steel bar to index them to the mount. The clamp also lets you set them on, get them tight and then take the clamp adjustment lever off and reposition it so that they both point in a direction you choose instead of where they end up after you initially mount them.

This gun is easily the best $200 rifle I have ever had.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Sniper[MI]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How bout 100 yd accuracy?

Howdy Coltdriver!

How hot is the new Savage at 100 yds? I have a Model 64 GXP and love it, but I am looking for something that is a little better long range shooting.

How tight can you group at 100yds?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Johnny B.Good

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Sniper

I did some bench shooting with my Savage R.17 93GV when I first got it.I managed some decent 3 shot groups(under 1/2 inch) at 100 yds.My 5 shot groups were 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch. I bedded the barrel but havent got a chance to bench rest it again.I think the weather was against me when I shot the first time(low 30s and windy) I think the gun has real potential.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Coltdriver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The day I zeroed the scope at 100 yards it was cold and windy. It was so windy that I had a really tough time getting the spotting scope (on a tri pod) to be still enough to let me see where I was hitting at. My primary goal was just to get the POI reasonably centered. It was my first try with this particular scope/rifle combo.

I was able to consistently hit the 2 inch bullseye but could not get any kind of consistent group and I was so miserable cold that once I got it to hit the bullseye over and over I quit and went for my warm truck.

When I took it out hunting, it shot so low under 50 yards that I decided to re set the zero to 50 yards. When I cranked the scope up to 12 power I could choose which one inch square to shoot.

The next time I go to the range with it on a calm day I will try the 100 yard targets again and let you know if it gets any better and a two inch circle.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Sniper[MI]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Hey Sniper

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny B.Good
I did some bench shooting with my Savage R.17 93GV when I first got it.I managed some decent 3 shot groups(under 1/2 inch) at 100 yds.My 5 shot groups were 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch. I bedded the barrel but havent got a chance to bench rest it again.I think the weather was against me when I shot the first time(low 30s and windy) I think the gun has real potential.
Howdy Johnny,

What did you use to bed the barrel and how much??

Just curious as I am relatively certain the .17 will be my next Savage. I either want to go with the 93R BVSS or Get the 93 R17 FV and get a custom stock. I have two savages now and am totally impressed with their performance.

The new Accu trigger really intregues me for a Long Range target gun, and I may get the BVSS and be done with it and sink the money into a .223 or .308 with an accu trigger and put the custom mods to that one.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Johnny B.Good

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Sniper

I used Acraglass gel from Brownells for bedding compound.I work in a machine shop,and I had some fine aluminum chips handy so I mixed them in the bedding also. The aluminum chips were the consistency of sawdust and I thought it might help.I bedded the foward lug on the barrel and the section of barrel that is larger diameter.The foward section of barrel still free floats.I want to bench test it before I do any more work to it.I will probably play with the trigger a bit more before I'm done.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:01 AM
presten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been trying for a couple of weeks now to find a Savage 93R17 BVSS (stainless varmint barrel with laminated stock) here in northern California. Can anyone help me find this rifle...anyware in the US! I have a local store with a FFL and can arrange for transfer. If you know of one, please let me know
reply: [email protected]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Cossack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: 93 trigger

QUOTE:After that I stoned the sear lightly and polished it with 600 grit sandpaper.The result is a good hunting weight trigger but still a little creepy for bench rest shooting.I may drill and tap the sear for an adjustment screw ala the rifle basix model.I'm a machinist so it should be a simple enough job.I'll post the results if I decide to do it. [/B][/QUOTE]

The Rifle Basix sear is a definite improvement. Just put one into my 22 WRM "Striker",and it's down to 16 oz., no creep or take-up.
I had previously done the spring and stoning and got it down to 32 oz but couldn't affect creep or take-up. Original is just like replacement so there is room for drilling and tapping if you can do it.