Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Stingrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK II-LV Sweet Shooter!!!

I picked up a new MK II-LV last week and finally had a day to go sight it in. I topped it with a BSA 3-12 X 50 and headed to the range with a variety of ammo. I've heard good and bad about BSA scopes and this was my first one but I'm very pleased with it. I boresighted the rifle but it took quite a few shots to get it just right. I think part of this was due to it being a brand new gun and the other part was the trigger pull. After about 150 rounds it finally started putting the bullets where I was aiming. I used Federal Lightnings, Federal 36 gr hp's, Remington Standard Velocity Target loads, CCI Mini Mags, CCI Stingers and Aguilla Super Max's. Once the scope was dialed in I was able to shoot clothes pins with a good degree of regularity from 100 yards with everything except the CCI Stingers. These rounds have a case that's a little bit longer than the others and they tended to hang up in the magazine. When they didn't hang up, they were hard to chamber. Anybody else run across this problem??? All in all I am extremely pleased with this rifle. A Rifle Basix sear is going on right after Christmas and I'm already looking for one in 17 HMR. Then maybe one in 22 WMR. Oh my God, I've gone and caught Rimfire-itis!!!! You guys should have told me it was contagious!!!
Old 12-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Smallbore Freak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: MK II-LV Sweet Shooter!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stingrey
Oh my God, I've gone and caught Rimfire-itis!!!! You guys should have told me it was contagious!!!
Naw, we never tell 'em it's contagious, but we will tell you that there isn't any cure

Welcome aboard
Old 01-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Lynxus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hello

Hello everyone this is my first post here,,,

Stingray, where did ya pick that one up? I'm looking to get a new 22lr and am over in Bryson City,,,small world eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Smallbore Freak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lynxus - Welcome aboard as well!
Old 01-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Lynxus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks

Thanks I am planning to get a good 22LR for hunting as soon as I sell a Beeman 177 cal Pel. gun,,,,found this place looking for .22 rerviews. It is great to find friendly sites with such a load of information. My old Win. 190 seems to be about worn out but heck I've had it for 22 years now.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Aresee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Stingrey and Lynxus......

I have two Mk II's...an LV and an FV, and they both shoot really well. Both of mine really like the Aguila SE Subsonic...it's all I shoot in the now. The Rem. SV Target is an excelllent choice also...it just costs a little more...... The Mark II may be the best "for the money" rifle on the market. Give'em a try Lynxus...you'll be glad you did! BTW...if you're looking to sell your Beeman, you could try putting it in the classifieds here. Later.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:41 PM
DougJr.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another LV Shooter!

I also purchased an LV back about 4 months ago and can attest to the fact that this is a great shooter. I have shot 8 or 10 different brands of ammo and it seems to shoot well with all of them. I would have to say that the Federal Lightnings and the CCI standard velocity shoot as nice as any. Another thing that I have noticed was that it seems to shoot the first shot as well as the last. Doesn't seem to be bothered by temperature extremes. Keeping in mind that I'm not a 250 shooter and if I were, I might be prone to notice problems affected by weather conditions. But for my ability, this little gun fits the bill! Love my LV!!
DougJr.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Stingrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Lynxus! Sorry it took so long to respond to your post. I got my MK-II at Dick's in Ashville just before Christmas for $189 and have since picked up a handful of spare 10 round mags at Wal-Mart. After putting several hundred rounds through her, the trigger pull is improving but I can see a Rifle Basix sear in my near future. If you don't want to make the drive to the Big City to buy one, you might try contacting the sporting goods manager at the Wal-Mart in Murphy and getting him to order you one. I've done this before and they had my gun within a week. Give me a shout if you want to go shooting sometime as there's a great public range operated by the National Forest Service over by Wayah Bald.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:32 PM
DougJr.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark II magazines

Hi Stingrey!
Were you able to purchase your magazines right off the shelf at Wall Mart, or did you have to have them order them for you? I have a gun shop that sells them for $12.95. Would that be in the ball park as to what you paid? Another thing, have you been able to find a bullet of choice for your gun yet? I have not for they all seem to shoot equally well. My favorite bullet is the Federal Lightnings, they shoot well and are cheap.
DougJr.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Stingrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wal-Mart has these mags in stock in most of their stores around here. I think the price was 10.95. As for a favorite ammo, I'm in agreement with you. The Federal Lightnings shoot as well as anything I've tried. The only ammo that my rifle doesn't seem to like is Remington Golden 36gr hollowpoints. For some reason they just won't group better than about 3 inches. I took my cousin's 77/22 to the range along with my Savage and it didn't like them either. Remington's standard velocity target loads do well though they are a little more expensive. I've heard a lot of good things about Wolf Ammo but have yet to try any. I tried some Aguilla but it didn't shoot any better than the Federals and was quite a bit more expensive
Old 01-27-2003, 09:19 PM
DougJr.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Stingrey!
Some coincidence, I also shoot a Ruger 77VBZ and it also shoots the standard velocity the best also. I found that the CCI standard velocity shoots as good as the Wolf Match Target. The big problem with the WMT is that it is very difficult to purchase, as no one seems to be able to meet the demand for it. My 77 has a trigger that has been reduced to just under a pound and it is really sweet. I don't think that there is anything that you could do to improve your shooting more than to have a good trigger.I also have been thinking about a Rifle Basics Trigger, but have never done a trigger job myself and am intimidated by the thought of trying it.
Aresee has done it and if I remember right he said he has his trigger set at a half a pound, which must be real nice. I will look into my local Wall Mart and see if they have the clips for my MarkII. Also my local Wall Mart sells Federal Lightnings for under $10/brick. Good ammo, good price. Have a good evening.
DougJr.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Lynxus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey

Stingray,,, Hi I hunt in that area some but have never been to the range. Brought a couple of deer out of white oak this year on the 711 side of the bald.

What kinda groups are ya getting at what ranges? I am in the market for a new hunting 22.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Stingrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lynxus, I haven't been shooting for group size lately but have been shooting playing cards from 100 yards. It'll hit 'em all day long with the scope cranked up to full power. When I really want a challenge I'll buy a bag of wooden clothes pins and shoot them at 100 yards. They make a good reactive target and I can usually hit them about 60% of the time. With a little trigger work I believe it would go up to about 80%.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Lynxus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I want one

You guys have me wanting one,,,,,,

a few questions,,,,,

1-will the 10 round clips from other MK II s work?

2-will the MK II shoot long and or short ammo as well.

3-has anyone tried the 60 grain SSS ammo in one?

4-I like the looks of the laminated stock but will probably paint my gun anyway,,,is the black plastic stock as functional as the laminated one ??????
Old 02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
DougJr.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun stock

Hi Lynxus! The only problem that I have heard of that you might consider is the fact that the plastic stock is kind of light and might not balance the gun as nicely as the laminated stock. But overall, if you bought one you would surely enjoy it.
DougJr.