"Games People Play"... with a .22 pistol? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
unclebird

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Games People Play"... with a .22 pistol?

What are some of the formal competitions with a .22 pistol? Is a stock MarkII target a competitive gun I've noticed the rifle games seem to require alot of $$$ A great shooter with a good rifle will lose to a good shooter with a great rifle. Doesn't seem to be the case with shotgun sports. Is this as true with the pistol sports?
Old 12-31-2005, 10:34 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try http://www.22rimfire.org/, Nelson puts on the Rimfire Steel Challenge, includes both pistol and rifle stages. Very generous prize table, 23 pistols were either awarded or raffled off! Last match I shot with him, near every competitor left the table with something. Can't say enough good things about the guy, he really tries to get the new shooters into organized fun shoots.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM
shooter05
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been checking this out and you don't have to spend 10,000 on your gun to play Bullseye Pistol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shooter05

$10,000? No, I shoot the same gun for every stage and string I beg to differ that a Bullseye gun is less expensive than a racegun, I don't need a Lilja barrel for my distances and target size.

I run a Packer 22/45 with a ProPoint III left over from a retired IPSC pistol and a Solo mount. Everything else was home fabricated, including the internals, constipator, fluting and a speed holster. Still needs just a little lighter trigger , 2.3 lbs.

Unclebird
Good equipment will help a mediocre shooter but he / she will always brake early and never peg the tach. A talented shooter keeps the equipment wicked all the time. The trigger tickler makes the difference every time. Rob Latham shoots a stock SA 45 about as fast as I shoot a full race 38 Super, skill and experience wins out. Don't worry about equipment, go shoot and have fun. If you're interesting in winning, go shoot every match you can find and have fun. Oh, if you are sorta interested in winning, it's 100 practice rounds for every match round.

DVC Ya
Old 01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
shooter05
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38super
shooter05

$10,000? No, I shoot the same gun for every stage and string I beg to differ that a Bullseye gun is less expensive than a racegun, I don't need a Lilja barrel for my distances and target size.

I run a Packer 22/45 with a ProPoint III left over from a retired IPSC pistol and a Solo mount. Everything else was home fabricated, including the internals, constipator, fluting and a speed holster. Still needs just a little lighter trigger , 2.3 lbs.

DVC Ya
Thats what I was saying. I talked to a whole bunch of guys in my area that shoot Bullseye and they all suggeted the pistol I bought.
A Ruger MKIII Target Bull Barrel Stainless Steel I put a Tasco Rad Dot on it. They did suggest a better red dot. But I got my gun and red dot for under $450.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Dave Simons
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter05
I talked to a whole bunch of guys in my area that shoot Bullseye and they all suggeted the pistol I bought.
A Ruger MKIII Target Bull Barrel Stainless Steel I put a Tasco Rad Dot on it. They did suggest a better red dot. But I got my gun and red dot for under $450.
I would agree with these comments.

The accuracy and reliability of the Ruger are very good. A good trigger job will do wonders for the Ruger. I got lucky, my gunsmith, who does a lot of bullseye work, did a trigger job on my Ruger MKII for $45 and that included a Clark Trigger. It is a great trigger now.

I would also recommend a better red dot. I like the Ultra Dot, I have 4 of them on my BE pistols and most of the guys I shoot with use them.

When you start getting into more expensive guns you won't gain reliability or much, if any, accuracy but you start getting better triggers and adjustable triggers, grips, and weights. Many of us mere mortal shooters don't gain enough to make the additional expense worthwhile.

My MKII has now become my backup gun, mainly because I wanted something with the same grip angle that the 1911 I use for centerfire and 45 has.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I drink way too much coffee to be any good at Bullseye.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
J57ltr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebird
What are some of the formal competitions with a .22 pistol? Is a stock MarkII target a competitive gun I've noticed the rifle games seem to require alot of $$$ A great shooter with a good rifle will lose to a good shooter with a great rifle. Doesn't seem to be the case with shotgun sports. Is this as true with the pistol sports?

I shoot Silhouette with my MarkII. We shoot at 40m, 50m 75m and 100m. I pay $5 a round so $10 for both open sight and optics. It's a lot of fun.

Jef
Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
unclebird

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I marked the bulls eye link! That should keep me reading for a WHILE !!!!! Thanks shooter05. J57ltr, you shoot a .22 pistol at 100m? Is that off hand? Sounds tough.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:39 AM
J57ltr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's not too bad. Rested I can hit every one each time. We shoot off hand and I usually get 3-4 rams out of 10 (they are about 10" tall and 13" wide I guess). Turkeys at 75m are harder since they are shaped funny. I have been making a lot of changes and the only time I get to practice is a warm up round before a match and punching paper. And I can't shoot the 50 yard range or the 100 yard range OS, I use my scope but you have to be seated. I have my pistol like I want it for right now. The trigger pull is 2.25# only enough pretravel to reset the sear and the overtravel is set. There is a lot of got how to's if you really want a ruger.

Jeff