Almost Perfect - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:18 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Almost Perfect

After 40+ years of being without a Nylon 66, I picked up another this summer. I wish I would have bought another way sooner.
It wouldn't function when I got it, but it really wasn't that dirty.
I found that the receiver cover screws were on so tight, that I thought I was going to strip the screw heads to get the cover off.

After taking off the barrel, and removing the bolt, I gave it a good cleaning. The stock must have not been off in a long time, if ever, as there was a lot of crud between the barrel and stock.
The action was fairly clean. I had thought the action spring was a bit weak, so when I ordered a new front sight to replace the missing one, I also got a new action spring and cartridge feed guide.
Turns out I didn't need them, as the slow bolt was due to the tight cover screws.

Although I could shoot the factory irons pretty well at closer ranges, I wanted a peep rear sight for my 62 year old eyes. I messed around trying to put a spacer under the front sight to get it high enough, but eventually went with a Williams ramp that fellow member Dustoffer recommended. The Williams gets you up fairly high, then I used a .400" high FireSight in the dovetail.
This is what was needed to use the WGRS rear peep.

I have it zeroed at 50 yards, and am pleasantly surprised that with Golden Bullets, it will group as well as my scoped 552.
Groups from a rest were all 3/4 and slightly under.
This has become my favorite truck/woods packing/plinking/small game rifle.
4 pound weight is a joy to carry around for hours, although the 66 looks huge next to the BL-22 and Winchester 1906.

I usually take my 552 Speedmaster loaded with RWS subsonics out when looking for Abert's squirrels, but yesterday I packed the Nylon.
That red Firesight sure shows up well when pointed into the dark timber.
I bought some of the clear plastic speed loader tubes sold here at the top of the page, and cut some of them down to hold 11 rounds for the Nylon.

My only concern with the Nylon is, when chambering the first round, the round goes halfway into the chamber, then stops. I have to push hard on the bolt handle to get it chambered.
Once one is in the chamber, the rifle feeds flawlessly after that.
I'm trying to figure out why getting that first round in is so hard.
Any suggestions to remedy that would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 AM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish I had an answer for your 1st round issue, but I don't. I can tell you that you're not alone. 22Plinkster has a Nylon 66 video, and his suffers from the same problem.

I just picked up a '66 last week...good little plinker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191103_135531.jpg (187.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
sandog---congrats and glad you got the 66 rigged out with the peep sight. Old guys like us understand the need for peeps/scopes in lieu of irons. Those younger folks don't think it's coming for them, but it is.

On the first round issue---I noticed you cut down the speedloader tubes to 11 rounds--why? My nylon holds 14 in the magazine. I've not ever, in 50+ years and probably 50,000 rounds experienced that, but I'm sure I will eventually. Is the plastic follower in the mag tube the correct one?

Last edited by dustoffer; 11-10-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 06:06 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That Apache Black looks sharp, roddy.

I don't know how I got 11 round mag capacity stuck in my head.
I just tried 14 rounds in the stock, and the rod closed all the way on 15 rounds also.
Oh well, I still have 6 full length tubes to use !