Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 AM
sunburned
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late 60's Savage-Anschutz Bolt Question

I have a late 60's Sav-Annie. All the exploded diagrams for the bolt show (I believe) the later model bolt with 2 springs. Upon disassembly, there was 1 spring for the firing pin, no smaller spring as shown in the diagrams. In servicing the front half of the bolt in the past, I have never seen the small spring and wonder if it would function without it or if the small spring was added in newer bolt design. Thanks for your help with this.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
You are aware that there is more than one model, 54 actions, 64 actions, Flobert actions?
Old 10-19-2019, 01:36 PM
sunburned

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, it is a 64 action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 02:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sunburned, Andyd is very knowledgeable although he seems off line now?

I believe the small spring would be a "Firing pin return spring" there's one on my 64.

I would say that you should make sure you are looking at the correct schematic for your year model and if indeed this spring is there you will not want that firing pin left dangling which it will do without that spring.

A Test....if you know how to "Decock" your bolt while out of the gun you could then "Cock" it. And if your firing pin does not (by itself) recede within the bolt face you definitely highly likely will need that spring.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:26 PM
sunburned

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Correct, when the bolt is on the bench and decocked, the firing pin does retract. As I have never seen the smaller spring in past disassembly I wondered if it was lost or merely not used in older bolts. The diagram gave me pause. That the firing pin retracts without a spring is the input I needed. I appreciate your input.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:31 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Early model 64's do not use a return spring as the 2 halves are locked together.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
sunburned, Andyd is very knowledgeable although he seems off line now?

I believe the small spring would be a "Firing pin return spring" there's one on my 64.

I would say that you should make sure you are looking at the correct schematic for your year model and if indeed this spring is there you will not want that firing pin left dangling which it will do without that spring.

A Test....if you know how to "Decock" your bolt while out of the gun you could then "Cock" it. And if your firing pin does not (by itself) recede within the bolt face you definitely highly likely will need that spring.
Thanks. Bob Smalser explained it very well before.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=986561
Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Early model 64's do not use a return spring as the 2 halves are locked together.
Mine is three piece although the forward 2/3 portion has a detent in it with what must be a tiny spring behind this detent and it slightly rotates on this spring/detent. I take it the older bolts do not rotate in this forward portion but as you said are locked together? Are the older bolts 2 solid pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned View Post
Correct, when the bolt is on the bench and decocked, the firing pin does retract. As I have never seen the smaller spring in past disassembly I wondered if it was lost or merely not used in older bolts. The diagram gave me pause. That the firing pin retracts without a spring is the input I needed. I appreciate your input.
I'd imagine you meant retracts when cocked? As wkd stated being locked together there must be a different configuration for pin retraction? Please don't let this spring mystery become a Halloween ghost.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:26 PM
sunburned

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is 3 pieces, nose, bolt body with knob and the cocking piece. Bolt body and cocking piece tied together with the plunger rod that is pinned through the cocking piece.
You are right about chasing my tail, I mean a ghost🙂. Thanks for the swift kick in my assistance.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Mine is three piece although the forward 2/3 portion has a detent in it with what must be a tiny spring behind this detent and it slightly rotates on this spring/detent. I take it the older bolts do not rotate in this forward portion but as you said are locked together? Are the older bolts 2 solid pieces?

I'd imagine you meant retracts when cocked? As wkd stated being locked together there must be a different configuration for pin retraction? Please don't let this spring mystery become a Halloween ghost.
They are all 3 piece, the hammer and firing pin interlock upon assembly for the early models. Late models simply meet each other inside the bolt therefore requiring a return spring. None of this has anything to do with the detent plunger and spring. The detent is there to align front and rear of the bolt for insertion into the receiver.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is your bolt as andyd showed thru his link to Mr Smalser talking of a solid integral handle and knob? They must have started at some year to weld the handle to the bolt body as mine is. The weld isn't overly apparent but I kind of doubt a 60's bolt handle is welded?

sinburned I mean no disrespect whatsoever by "Ghost" (not that you took it that way) I just meant I'd like to know what you discovered to be true of your wayward spring?

You haven't yet resolved where the spring came from have you?
Old 10-19-2019, 10:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
They are all 3 piece, the hammer and firing pin interlock upon assembly for the early models. Late models simply meet each other inside the bolt therefore requiring a return spring. None of this has anything to do with the detent plunger and spring. The detent is there to align front and rear of the bolt for insertion into the receiver.
Got it! Thank you, wkd. Guess I posted too late as I am talking of the bolt in that post.

Do we have any idea about this spring found laying about?
Old 10-19-2019, 10:26 PM
sunburned

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned View Post
Mine is 3 pieces, nose, bolt body with knob and the cocking piece. Bolt body and cocking piece tied together with the plunger rod that is pinned through the cocking piece.
You are right about chasing my tail, I mean a ghost🙂. Thanks for the swift kick in my assistance.
Quote:
Got it! Thank you, wkd. Guess I posted too late as I am talking of the bolt in that post.

Do we have any idea about this spring found laying about?
No lost spring. In looking at the diagrams for the later model bolt, it made me think mine may have had a return spring also. It does not.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to hear. I learned about 60's year bolts.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
The 64 action bolts saw several other changes, too. The first version had a black cocking piece, bolt body and bolt head, later the complete bolts were polished and in the white. Later again, the bolt handle was swept down and the cocking piece no longer round but tapered.