Hunting with a CZ rf - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

I am surprised that only a few of you read the question it is asking how do YOU hunt...it did not say anything about other people.

If your hunting with other people everything changes...most of the time I am hunting a lone...and I don't have to worry about shooting myself...you guys brought up some good points. But if your walking throught thick brush that would cause a problem your not going to shoot in that stuff anyway so unload your gun and reload when you get on the otherside...The other thing is if your firearm ever leaves your hands then it should be also unloaded no matter if your going over a fence or laying your firearm on the ground. If I am stupid enough to walk around with my finger on the trigger I need to pick up a different hobbie...or with the barrel on top of my shoe like some shooters used to do...and shoot myself in the foot...I deserve to feel pain and have a toe or two missing.

Safety is between the ears...and if your not safe enough to hunt by yourself...then don't even think about hunting with others. Bottom line is firearms don't shoot by themselves...you have to pull the trigger. If your in tough terrain then your not going to shoot there anyway...just use common sence no matter what your doing.

I Dont trust safeties to many have tendency to check to see if the safety is on by touching the trigger...which is a no no and if you do that by habbit then one day it will go off and heaven help you or anybody around you. Like I said before if I am walking around hunting game then I have an empty chamber. If I am hunting with others like bird hunting the safety is on...and everyone in the party should talk about safety before you even break out the firearms so everyone is on the same page.

Sorry if anyone miss understood what I meant about me hunting by myself. Safety should always be number one...we are out there to have fun and great memories.

Signalman
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My uncle was killed in a deer hunting accident. It DOES happen. I also knew someone killed by a shotgun blast while getting out of a boat after duck hunting. It DOES happen. Safety is paramount -- at ALL times. When I walk the woods, chamber empty. When still, round in chamber, safety on. If game spooked by safety click, so be it.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 PM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
I am surprised that only a few of you read the question it is asking how do YOU hunt...it did not say anything about other people.

If your hunting with other people everything changes...most of the time I am hunting a lone...and I don't have to worry about shooting myself...you guys brought up some good points. But if your walking throught thick brush that would cause a problem your not going to shoot in that stuff anyway so unload your gun and reload when you get on the otherside...The other thing is if your firearm ever leaves your hands then it should be also unloaded no matter if your going over a fence or laying your firearm on the ground. If I am stupid enough to walk around with my finger on the trigger I need to pick up a different hobbie...or with the barrel on top of my shoe like some shooters used to do...and shoot myself in the foot...I deserve to feel pain and have a toe or two missing.

Safety is between the ears...and if your not safe enough to hunt by yourself...then don't even think about hunting with others. Bottom line is firearms don't shoot by themselves...you have to pull the trigger. If your in tough terrain then your not going to shoot there anyway...just use common sence no matter what your doing.

I Dont trust safeties to many have tendency to check to see if the safety is on by touching the trigger...which is a no no and if you do that by habbit then one day it will go off and heaven help you or anybody around you. Like I said before if I am walking around hunting game then I have an empty chamber. If I am hunting with others like bird hunting the safety is on...and everyone in the party should talk about safety before you even break out the firearms so everyone is on the same page.

Sorry if anyone miss understood what I meant about me hunting by myself. Safety should always be number one...we are out there to have fun and great memories.

Signalman
Could not have been said any better than this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 08:21 PM
staggofdryvalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50+ years hunting and from year one I practiced loaded when hunting and if the terrain meant a safe carry or shot wasn't practical I unload then too.

Safety always on til I intend to shoot.
Immediately back on afterwards.
A good friend convinced me how important this is when he accidentally fired his double twice in the same day !

Know the direction of the shot ,not just muzzle control. If you point it in my direction once under any condition were done hunting.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:49 PM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very well said Signalman. I'm with you......... I hunt by myself except maybe twice a year in the squirrel woods. Other times I am by myself and I never have a weapon that doesn't have a round in the chamber.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Round in the chamber, safety off.

Unless Im bird hunting, than it is round in the chamber, safety on.

Not sure why that is.

Last edited by armtx; 10-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not understand why folks think the shifting of a safety from "on safe" to "off safe" will spook animals. I have had deer at 10 yards that were not spooked by the sound of me going to full cock on my REAL muzzle loaders both cap and flint, nor my centerfires. In the squirrel woods I have had the same with many bolt guns.... They aren't that spooked unless I suppose there have been 100+ guys stompin and shooting up a storm through that woodlot....even then I still dont think so.....

Now, walking around with a loaded chamber and the safety off is just plain stupid.....

JMHO
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Now, walking around with a loaded chamber and the safety off is just plain stupid.....

JMHO
Yup. Alone or not, doing that makes you much more likely to have an uncontrolled discharge, which means there is no telling what the bullet is going. This kid was killed while riding in the back seat of a car in a remote area:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-boy-1...ry?id=58061936

Shooting a rock at close range is also a good way to get yourself shot.

Why greatly increase the chance of an uncontrolled discharge? So a squirrel or deer doesn't get away? It is monumentally bad judgment.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 AM
staggofdryvalley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems there are a lot of seasoned hunters here , having raised and taught 4 boys to hunt it's smart to consider safe practices for everyone not just yourself.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Missing Michigan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sorry. It is just plain irresponsible to have your safety off until just before you are ready to pull the trigger. There are no reasons that justify it. Basic firearms safety takes precedence over a nonsensical perceived advantage of collecting game. You owe it to yourself, those around you, and any potential victims of wherever your bullet may land.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
I have hunted for over 40 years with the round in the chamber and the safety off. I have never had a firearm go off when I was not ready and I know where the muzzle is pointed at all times...never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot.

Even when bird hunting with a Ruger Red Label which had an automatic safety that was a real pain in the backside because the safety would come on and I would forget when trying to shoot and reload for more birds. I missed a lot with that shotgun.

Signalman
Sooner or later luck runs out Glad i don't hunt with you.Not say'n you u n safe but stuff happens even ti best of us. ~~JMJ~~
Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
Signalman I would go hunting with you any day, I remember back in my hunting days hunting the most elusive animal there is I always had a round in my chamber.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:39 AM
neangler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll take it a step further: I don't understand even owning a firearm that does not have a safety you can engage.

The 1911 was the standard-issue sidearm of the military for decades, and it always had redundant safeties. And today, the SEALS, some of the best-trained solders in the world, carry firearms that have safeties. Are you really better than them? Is shooting a squirrel or bunny really that important to you?

Engaging a safety is common sense!
Old 10-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Tennessee453

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was always taught to use the safety but to never trust the safety. Muzzle discipline is probably the most important thing but it only a second to make a stupid mistake that could have been prevented. IMO most "accidental discharges" aren't accidents and are preventable. I do not use a safety on a handgun because the one I have to carry everyday doesn't have one and that's how I have trained. Plus that handgun is in a holster. Unless I'm at a bench target shooting, I say it's there use it.

Been reading but can't see pics so had to sign up for the site. First post.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee453 View Post
I was always taught to use the safety but to never trust the safety. Muzzle discipline is probably the most important thing but it only a second to make a stupid mistake that could have been prevented. IMO most "accidental discharges" aren't accidents and are preventable. I do not use a safety on a handgun because the one I have to carry everyday doesn't have one and that's how I have trained. Plus that handgun is in a holster. Unless I'm at a bench target shooting, I say it's there use it.

Been reading but can't see pics so had to sign up for the site. First post.
Welcome Sir