New FrankenRuger - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:18 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
New FrankenRuger

I just got finished putting together my first non-Ruger 10/22. Well, almost non-Ruger. The one Ruger part is a BX-Trigger. The rifle is built on a TI black receiver, and uses a TI bolt, Kidd charging handle and guide rod (with medium spring), Green Mountain blued 18" fluted .920" diameter barrel, Magpul Hunter X-22 stock with 1/2" cheek rest, and the aforementioned BX-Trigger, with a pull weight of 1 lb., 12 oz., bolt lock modified to auto release, and mag release lever shortened, Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 scope with BDC and AO mounted. The receiver has a built in Picatinny rail, so no scope mounts were used. Vortex rings hold the scope on the receiver.

I took it to the range a few days ago and got it zeroed. Took me three groups to get it in the center of the target at 25 yards. By the way, I didn't boresight it. I'm convinced that boresighting is a complete waste of time, effort, and materials. Just bolt the scope on and shoot it. I did, however, use a torque driver to mount the scope. 25 inch-pounds on the mount screws, and 15 inch-pounds on the ring screws.

At 25 yards, this gun shoots one hole groups with CCI standard velocity ammo. After I got it sighted in, I moved back to 50 yards and shot three more groups. Those were all one inch groups. I still haven't done any experimenting with the attaching screw torque or the pressure adjustment thing in the forend of the stock. It was 100 degrees at the range the day I sighted the scope in, so I decided to fine tune it later. I'll keep y'all posted on further developments.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
1" groups @ 50 yds isn't that bad at all for a brand new rifle that hasn't had any tweaking. I'm guessing you'll probably have a great shooter once you get it where you want it and find out what flavor of ammo it prefers.