Light strikes and domed cases - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Royb
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light strikes and domed cases

I tried to post this yesterday but I must have screwed something up because it never appeared. First, itís a great forum; Iíve found a great deal of information about the 597. Secondly I have experienced a couple of issues that I would appreciate any information or advice from the knowledgeable members of the forum.
After changing the trigger spring on my 22 magnum, I started having FTFís and whenever it did fire most of the cases were domed on the base. After going through most of the things recommended by the forum, the problems still persisted. I finally stripped the rifle down to the barrel, bolt and guide rods. I found that there was .016 clearance between the bolt and case, with the bolt held tight against the barrel. This appears to be the root cause of both problems.
I would appreciate any comments or questions to see if I am on the right track and also any ideas on correcting the clearance issue.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The guy in the link below used to offer headspace adjustment service for the 597. Not sure if he still does. Have you tried testing with the original spring reinstalled? Have you cleaned the extractor slots in the barrel breech? I dig the debris out of them with a dental pick occasionally. Not sure what the headspace for a magnum should be but it appears you are out of spec. It is possible to adjust headspace on these 597's buy machining away some metal on the forward bolt face at seen in the photo linked below if that is the actual problem.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-5...ox!97306!US!-1
Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for replying. I had the rifle apart again this morning and took some additional measurements. The headspace is .0535 and the minimum headspace that I have found is .0435. I also checked and with the firing pin fully extended there is about .020 clearance from the end of the firing pin to the bolt face. Another thing I have found is the face of the bolt is not true and parallel to the back of the bolt. I guess it doesn’t matter a lot but again it shows bad workmanship and QC. I checked the guy out on eBay and he’s still active, selling remachined 22lr bolts. I have seen some different bolts for the 597. Mine has a square face and some have a contoured face; are the contoured faces for the long rifle? I may try to send him a message to see if he could reface my bolt to the proper headspace.
And I have cleaned and checked everything associated with rifle that’s humanly possible. I’m pretty sure that the factory trigger spring was overcoming the problems with the excessive headspace; with the lighter spring the rifle became a single shot sometimes. Thanks again for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC Roy!

Are you sure there wasn't any doming of the cases prior to the spring swap?

I trued my 22 bolt to the breech, not to the bolt. If very much metal is removed trueing the bolt face you'll have to make sure the firing pin doesn't protrude so far as to cause peening of the breech in case of failure of the last shot hold open spring, like mine did.

IMA the mag bolt is heavier than a 22 bolt.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rifle originally belonged to my boss, he had the conversion from .17 to .22 magnum done during the Remington recall. According to him, the rifle worked fine, just a terrible trigger pull, until the trigger spring change out. The light strike misfires and supposedly the case doming started then. He contacted the company that supplied the spring and they sent another, heavier spring, but the heavier spring didn’t take care of the misfires. I asked him about the factory spring and he told me he had thrown it away. He finally got frustrated to the point that he gave me the rifle. I just got the SAAMI specs and it appears that the headspace is .050 -.008 for the magnum. I measured the bolt headspace at .0535. I don’t know if removing .0035 from the bolt will rectify the problem or not. But I don’t think that it would do damage to anything, and it’s not working as it is. Please let me know your thoughts on this; and if there is anything you can think of that I should check please let me know.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The firing pin, fully extended is .020 from the face of the bolt. I don’t see any problem with removing .0035 from the bolt face, causing firing pin strikes on the barrel chamber.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:45 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Clean the chamber. REALLY clean the chamber. If not you are headed for trouble. I'd put the stock spring back in and get a VQ hammer (Factory spring)

There are no shortcuts with these rifles in 22 WMR and 17 HMR. I like the spring mod and have it one a 597. Mostly I just do the VQ hammer mod. And I have a few (597's) it's not a headspace issue it's a dirty chamber issue and a trigger spring If you don't correct it it could go kablam.

Also don't over tighten the barrel you will crack the receiver (ask me how I know) Go with the simple fix first, don't go grinding the bolt down. Simple stuff first.

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti

Last edited by FlysAlot; 08-11-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
"Simple stuff first"
Old 08-12-2019, 01:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I think FlysAlot has some good advice here. I have been very happy with the VQ hammer swap on 4-5 597's and agree that an original heavier spring and a VQ hammer may be what you need. The VQ's usually get me a nice 2.5-3 lb pull.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys for information. I will remove the barrel and really clean and scrub the chamber. I don’t have the original spring any more, the original owner discarded it after the first spring change out. The current spring is a little lighter than the factory spring and without measuring I would estimate 3-4 pounds. I did find out that the SAAMI specification for .22 WMR Headspace is .050 minimum. That puts my bolt only .0035 out of the minimum. The .043 minimum headspace clearance is for the .22LR. I have some Hornady 30 GR., V-Max ammo that I have measured the case rim at .043-.044. and with the travel of the firing pin plus the excess headspace clearance it sure looks like it adds up to a potential for light strikes. Another thing that I have also observed is the V-Max round drops into the chamber without any restriction and seats all the way to the rim. Even a fired case will chamber without too much difficulty but if pressed home is a little difficult to remove without using a small screwdriver.
Again, thanks for your suggestions, I have looked at the replacement hammers and extractors and I will get a set on order. One other question, some posts that I have found indicate 30 Gr. Bullets being problematic. Do you think a heavier bullet would help?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heavier bullets are often recommended for trigger failure to reset. Dunno if it would help but it can't hurt to try a box.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered the VQ hammer and extractor for the rifle. The kit is supposed to arrive this next Thursday and I will test the results the following weekend. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. And I will give you a update after the live fire test.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Royb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well gang; I installed the new VK hammer and extractor in the rifle bolt. Removed the barrel and scrubbed the chamber thoroughly using Hoppes No.9 and bore brush. Put everything back together and tried it out on some spent shell casings. The trigger pull has really changed, its is extremely light now. But the observed firing pin strike is about 50% smaller than it was previously. Now, I am using a lighter aftermarket spring. As I previously stated the original owner, threw the original trigger spring away. Don’t ask me why, it wouldn’t have hurt anything to hold on to it for a while. I am amazed how changing the hammers reduced the trigger pull. But on this rifle light trigger pull equals light firing pin strikes and no kaboom. I have found Remington original trigger springs at a couple of suppliers, they appear to be used, no new stock that I could find.
I guess the question of the day is; do you think purchasing and installing a used factory spring would solve the problem? Or is it time to start grinding on the bolt face to reduce the headspace? I am thinking about inserting a .004 shim between the barrel and the rim of the shell casing and try dry firing to see if depth of the pin strike improves. But I am beginning to feel that with the new VK hammer, you need the heavier factory spring to provide the added power to impact the firing pin. This whole experience is beginning to get a little frustrating but I do appreciate all your advice and your suggestions.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Have you removed firing pin from bolt and cleaned it and the hole in the bolt? Easy to do by punching out one pin as I recall. I would also go back to a factory spring if it is heavier duty. Also it is possible to install the hammer spring backwards and have a weaker lighter strike. The VQ hammer has always given me a 2.5-3 pound pull. I think Al has some photos showing the spring installed properly?
Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
These show correct factory install. The yellow circle shows the sear spring and you can check yours to see if it is in place. They are only glued in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 597 trigger.jpg (74.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 597 tigger 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 65 views)