Shotgun ignorant. What does RFC like for home defense? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I have only shot a shotgun twice in my life. Once as a kid and once last month. Let's just say I have more ballast now than I did as a kid. Kinda like a Weeble. I wobble, but don't fall down.

What do you all like for a home defense shotgun? Concerns are: over-penetration, ability to point, etc. Semi-auto or pump?

Not looking for a $2,000 Bellini . . . more like a practical tool. Thoughts?
While I'll not call myself an expert I get a lot more use out of my shotguns than I do my rimfires.

My choice for a home defense shotgun is a Rem 870 Express in 20 ga with an 18.5" barrel that accepts a screw-in choke tube using #3 buck. Had to shop for the barrel but the advantage of guns like this is easy barrel swaps. I wanted the screw-in choke option so I could put on a tighter choke than the cylinder choke that is common to short barrels. My reason for that is that this gun is also my out and about gun, not just home defense. When out and about I swap out the modified choke for a turkey choke. The tighter choke makes it more useful at outdoor ranges while the short barrel makes it handy.

Folks go on-and-on about the reliability of slide (pump) action shotguns but the funniest thing I've seen lately was the day we made a "pump only" rule for a sporting clays shoot. The good ol' boys all owned pumps but had been shooting break-open guns for so long most of them had lost the knack of getting that slide all the way back and would jam the gun up with short strokes. Some even kept forgetting to work it at all, just about bending the trigger while wondering where the second shot was. Point being practice, practice, practice until shucking the empty and chambering a fresh round is a natural follow-through to a shot and not something that requires conscious thought.

For 12 ga, #4 buck gives you a good compromise between the number of pellets and having enough mass in each pellet to get the penetration required to be effective while minimizing the worry you're going to go through three walls and two rooms with a missed shot.

Here being used as a yardstick:

Last edited by Sophia; 08-05-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Out of curiosity (because I never have, but am always curious) has anyone responding here personally fired a shotgun inside their home? Not a test facility or training camp, but inside THEIR own home?
Had an AD with a 20ga in a house trailer about 50 years ago, took a day for two before something resembling normal hearing returned, I've fired .44 magnum and .45 ACP in other folks houses, the .44 really rocked my ears and gave me the hissing I've heard ever since. The .45 didn't seem too bad but heck after the first two I'm not sure I got the full effect.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
There is a reason most Police Entry teams use no. 4 to no. 6 shot, at close range they're devastating without the structural damage/over penetration of Buckshot. YMMV
Gerald is on the right track here. Much of the benefit of using a scattergun for home defense is making sure your neighbors and loved ones make it out alive. I “stack” my HD shotgun with 2 rounds of #6, 2 rounds of #4 and 2 rounds of 00 buck. I currently have a Winchester Defender (1300), with short cylinder-bore barrel, full-length mag tube and I “load” the chamber with a snap cap, so that if the unthinkable happens, one only needs to shuck the pump and be ready to rock. Honestly, this is done largely in deference to my better half, who doesn’t “get” guns, doesn’t want to learn about them, so I try to make it pain free if the “spaghetti” DOES hit the fan.

I really prefer the bolt release location/shape of the Remington shotguns, but think that the Ithaca 37 DSPS is the premier home defense shotgun available today. Somewhere there is a thread about a totes rookie mistake regarding my hesitation at my local Cabela’s on a kinda rusty ex-LAPD DSPS for $299. By the time I had passed it by, reconsidered on the 60-mile drive home, and called on it the next morning, it was gone. DOH!!!
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 which is the economy version. Extremely reliable and inexpensive. Anything cheaper out of China or Turkey may or may not function as smoothly in my experience. In the used gun category, an older Remington 870 would be good as long as it is over 10 years old or so. I looked at a new one the other day and was shocked how the quality has deteriorated on a once great gun.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
House Gun

I have a 12 ga. Remington 870 in the riot configuration for when the SHTF at home. The only other thing it has been used for is to dispatch an occasional rattlesnake. They sell for about $250 - $300 or so, are well made and reliable. I keep it unloaded but have an elastic band on the stock that holds 5-6 00 Buck shells. I can pop one round in the chamber for quick use while loading the others. If you are going to use the gun to protect your life or the lives of your family, how cheap do you really want to go?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
No but I have fired a 45acp in the house and it is defining to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Had an AD with a 20ga in a house trailer about 50 years ago, took a day for two before something resembling normal hearing returned, I've fired .44 magnum and .45 ACP in other folks houses, the .44 really rocked my ears and gave me the hissing I've heard ever since. The .45 didn't seem too bad but heck after the first two I'm not sure I got the full effect.
Thanks for the replies. Kind of what I had heard/read, but wondered how well it stacked up to reality.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I have only shot a shotgun twice in my life. Once as a kid and once last month. Let's just say I have more ballast now than I did as a kid. Kinda like a Weeble. I wobble, but don't fall down.

What do you all like for a home defense shotgun? Concerns are: over-penetration, ability to point, etc. Semi-auto or pump?

Not looking for a $2,000 Benelli. . . more like a practical tool. Thoughts?
I have some concerns over making a platform you have hardly ever used your SHTF piece. Then there is the unwieldiness. I dunno, a .45 with a laser on it, loaded with frangibles or at least HP's seems a better choice to me.

But if you insist, then I'd go auto, because you WILL forget to pump it. The most reliable semi-auto on the market at a reasonable price is the Beretta A400.

I recommend birdshot (#6's) for grizzly protection, but that is because they are moving on you fast and are therefore extremely difficult to hit in the vitals, and may still kill you even then -- so your best bet is to hope you get enough time to blind and disorient them with the 6's, giving you time to escape, or finish off with something that has penetration.

But while #6's, 4's or 2's will certainly consistently deliver a fatal wound, shot from across the room they are not likely to be an instantly incapacitating wound unless you hit them in the head. You may get shot back by a dying perp.

And before you say you will just shoot them in the head with the second shot, let me tell about all the times I have seen duck-hunters completely miss a wounded duck floating on the pond a few yards away. Not much adrenaline flowing in that endeavor.

Lot of things to weigh. Everything entails a compromise.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Mossberg 500 ...
A nice advantage of the Mossberg is the top-mounted (ambidextrous) safety.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my set up for something that has about a 99.999% chance of never happening.
Ear protection with a built in mic.

Benelli Nova loaded with 2 rounds of #6, and then 2 rounds of #4, and capped off with a single round of double 00.

For you sharp eyed viewers you'll will have noticed the security panels red light is lit up showing that someone is moving around down stairs. (Circa 1987 technology).

And of course I secure that weapon every time I leave the house.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 02-03-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
I have some concerns over making a platform you have hardly ever used your SHTF piece. Then there is the unwieldiness. I dunno, a .45 with a laser on it, loaded with frangibles or at least HP's seems a better choice to me.

But if you insist, then I'd go auto, because you WILL forget to pump it. The most reliable semi-auto on the market at a reasonable price is the Beretta A400.

. . .

Lot of things to weigh. Everything entails a compromise.
Thanks for that. Yup, you're right, and that's good advice. And there is no way I'd trust my family's defense to any untested/untried system. But you have to start somewhere. So, I go about this the way I go about all unknowns: information gathering. My firearms are mostly .22's, with some centerfire long guns/pistols thrown in. Given my home's construction materials and layout, I'm just asking the questions. The input on this thread has been great so far. Eatin' it all up.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
remington 870 with no 4 buckshot and a bright strobing weapon light

Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sophia, that is a very nice set up. I had the vent rib barrel on one of my 12 gauge Mossbergs 500's cut and a Polychoke installed. Barrel is 20". It is a do anything gun like yours with the screw in chokes. Vent rib hides the blob.
I recently picked up an H&R single 20 with an 18.5" barrel and a screw in Remchoke installed. I have a modified installed right now but I have full and skeet on hand. I sure would not want that light thing in 12.
I keep a set of electronic earmuffs next to the gun.
You are absolutely right about practice. Short stroking will jam a pump in a hurry. If you are not going to practice dont bother. Get a double barrel coach gun. A Biden special.
Where did you find #4 buck 20? I can only find #3 buck.

Last edited by JTJ; 08-05-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:51 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Where did you find #4 buck 20? I can only find #3 buck.
I may have misspoke, let me look at one..... Yep, it's #3 buck. It's the 12 ga that loads #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Sophia, that is a very nice set up. I had the vent rib barrel on one of my 12 gauge Mossbergs 500's cut and a Polychoke installed.
Thanks. I'm with you on wanting that choke ability. It took a lot of work to find that barrel. I wanted the rib and the bead and the RemChoke which at the time (maybe still) was hard to track down in the short barrel. Fits perfectly between the seat of the Jeep and the door jamb.

Don't try this at home, kids. In some jurisdictions you may have trouble.

Last edited by Sophia; 08-05-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
My choice for a home defense shotgun is a Rem 870 Express in 20 ga ....
... and let me add another thought. The main reason for my 20 ga preference is not recoil but rather weight and the dimensions of the gun.

Perceived recoil between 12 ga and 20 ga is about the same because a well made 12 ga gun is generally heavier than an equivalent model 20 ga gun. 20 ga guns are usually smaller in all dimensions than an equivalent model 12 ga gun -- the grip is smaller, the forearm is skinnier, etc. That makes them easier for small hands to handle.

I have 12 ga guns as well as 20 ga guns and shoot both equally well but I find the 20 ga guns more pleasant to handle because of the lighter weight and the smaller dimensions. Perhaps not a consideration for you but there it is.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The Shockwaves with a green laser are very easy to hit with.

The 20ga is the handiest.