New Ruger Wrangler .22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink you can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber212 View Post
Here's a short write-up about the Wrangler from American Rifleman magazine.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...tion-revolver/
they were going on ruger press releases, they didn't see the real thing.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Paulcer1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore Diameter

Now comes with big question with Ruger rimfire single actions...Is the bore diameter cut for 22WMR even though they don't offer the extra cylinder?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just think....with Cerakote, Ruger could offer pink Wranglers, or yellow, or Zombie Green.......Doesn't that just make you drool?....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Whalerman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't believe the Wrangler will replace the Single Six.
It may steal some Single Six sales, but Heritage and Chiappa will get hurt most.
One company is offering a "pre-arrival price of $189.99" already!
The Wrangler is USA built in New Hampshire, along side the Single Six.
The Single Six still offers adjustable or fixed sights, blued or stainless, several barrel
lengths, magnum cylinders and six, seven, nine or ten shot cylinders.
It's also available in .327 Federal Magnum, a very hot round!
This is not to mention a legion of followers that would make the villagers' attack on
Frankenstein's castle look like a pep rally!

Last edited by Whalerman; 04-19-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:44 PM
ClickBang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pre-order
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/218419
Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is not much price difference between fixed and adjustable sights, that could come later. Maybe Lipsey will clue them in. There can be quite a shift in POI with various rim fire ammo as well as an accuracy preference.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:57 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickBang View Post
I hope those who purchase a wrangler because they are strapped for cash also take into account that the very first run of a brand new product can have some issues. Some could take a while to show up, such as wear points near the ratchet, cyc stop or loading gate or whatever. Others could be right out of the box.

I would also give the manual good read and look for any special suggestions around cleaning or lubrication. Fanning the gun? I have seen more than one alloy pistol with a busted trigger guard. Now with Ruger, I would be confident of a replacement, where there is no going back to the likes of Erma for a new frame.

BTW, the trigger guard on a single six blue gun is alloy and a very slight ding or drop and the black paint comes right off. I 'assume' ceracote is a lot better. And if so; maybe Ruger will see fit to apply the same upgraded finish to the single six, blue model, trigger guards. Same for the Blackhawk blue models. Those alloy trigger guards are terrible. Now they are building a whole gun out of the stuff.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-19-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Steel Heritage Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I hope those who purchase a wrangler because they are strapped for cash also take into account that the very first run of a brand new product can have some issues. Some could take a while to show up, such as wear points near the ratchet, cyc stop or loading gate or whatever. Others could be right out of the box.

I would also give the manual good read and look for any special suggestions around cleaning or lubrication. Fanning the gun? I have seen more than one alloy pistol with a busted trigger guard. Now with Ruger, I would be confident of a replacement, where there is no going back to the likes of Erma for a new frame.

BTW, the trigger guard on a single six blue gun is alloy and a very slight ding or drop and the black paint comes right off. I 'assume' ceracote is a lot better. And if so; maybe Ruger will see fit to apply the same upgraded finish to the single six, blue model, trigger guards. Same for the Blackhawk blue models. Those alloy trigger guards are terrible. Now they are building a whole gun out of the stuff.
Heritage makes a Steel Framed Convertible model that sells for less than 200.00.

Some will pay a little more for the Ruger name. I have a Steel Framed Heritage, it

Is matte black finish, shoots very well. I also like the frame mounted safety on the

Heritage. The fit and finish on the Ruger will be better, the cerakote will be better

than the Heritage painted finish. The Ruger will be a good starter pistol, some will

like the transfer bar system better. The all steel Uberti full size Cattleman can be

purchased for less than 270.00 if you watch and seek. It is heavier than a full size

45 Single Action Army. Super polished blue steel with case hardened frame, and

walnut stocks. There is a lot of single action .22 revolvers to pick from, all price

points. It is a buyer’s market!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 PM
laylow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be ordering one shortly. Will report back with pictures and thoughts.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber212 View Post
Just noticed that............"The Wrangler™ is not available for sale in Minnesota and Massachusetts." ................that's interesting?
It's an issue of the material in the frame. They probably require steel due to a "Design safety standard" law.

South Carolina used to have such a law that prohibited cheap alloy and zinc frame handguns but it was revoked in 2012.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Rom828

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like no "billboard" on the barrel, the grip frame screws are torx head, and two "rings" on the cylinder. Could have probably done without the bronze colored one. I hope they sell a million of them and people trade in their old single sixes.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The wrangler weighs 2 oz. less than the single six with the same length barrel. I'm guessing that there is something other than steel involved with the frame.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
The wrangler weighs 2 oz. less than the single six with the same length barrel. I'm guessing that there is something other than steel involved with the frame.
Frame is aluminum alloy.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The description states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
The description states alloy frame. It doesn’t pass the melt test so it can’t be sold

in all states. High dollar Heritage . I’m guessing better fit and finish, but basically

an economical zamak framed wonder horse. I would rather have the lower cost

Heritage except for one thing. Customer service by Ruger is top notch. I can’t

say the same thing about Heritage. I have a steel frame in for service, it came in

with scratches all over it, poor fit on the pieces and parts, and the cylinder gap

was 42 thousandths. Talk about a side blaster! They are sending a new revolver

but couldn’t tell me a date for delivery. It seems they only churn out steel framed

models two or three times a year. Some sellers will replace a weapon by sending

the replacement straight to the customer, others send them to an FFL. If sent to

the FFL, that means another fee for the owner. I personally want to stay away

from all zamak framed revolvers and semi pistols. I don’t care for the painted finishes on the cheaper models,

but the frames are plenty strong enough for the .22 LR.

Last edited by gr8guns; 04-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really don't think the Wrangler is anything near Zamak. Ruger has always been particular about their metallurgy. It would be a suitable high end aluminum alloy. To be termed that, aluminum has to be a higher percentage than the other ingredients. The aluminum content of Zamak is less than 10%, it is mostly zinc.

MN and MA have a requirement that a gun withstand melting at certain temperatures, but it applies to just the parts that are exposed directly to heat or flame. This has nothing to do with Ruger not selling them there. This testing, actually a lot of tests, requires a gun company to send several guns to the state, pay a large fee, and deal with a lot of legalities. Ruger decided to stop playing that game. The Wrangler is available in CA, because they amazingly have requirements that allow a few guns without testing. The Wrangler being SA with a transfer bar probably let it off the hook.