Ruger Precision Rimfire - Did I make a mistake? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Tobie
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

A little unasked for information here. I have one of the same scopes as you have and I've found that, while being a great field scope- that reticle does not lend itself to precision shooting. Before I'd be wondering about the rifle- I'd try a different scope with a finer reticle. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 PM
srbecker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, just for a little update for everyone. I got a better scope, Primary Arms 4-14x44 Mildot. In addition, I put a muzzle brake on it and purchased a sled to compare accuracy between single feed and magazine feeding. Once I got it zeroed at 50, I began some ammo testing.

I tested:
CCI SV 40gr
CCI Mini-Mag 40gr
CCI AR Tactical 40gr
Winchester 333 White box bulk pack
Winchester 40gr (red plastic box)
Aguila Super Extra 1130fps
Aguila Super Extra CP 1255fps
Federal Champion
Federal HV Match
Blazer

Right off the bat, both Winchesters and Aguila SE (non copper plated) could be ruled out. Those groups were just horrible (see photos).

Despite those, I did see some promising results from the other ammunition, specifically the CCI AR Tactical, Aguila SE CP, the Federal HV Match. I got the smallest, most consistant groups from the CCI AR Tactical though. These groups are NOT sub MOA, however, I think part of that has more to do with me than the gun. I am going to get some more rounds down range with the AR Tactical ammo, then decide if a better barrel is in store or if I am happy with the accuracy as it sits.

My best groups were:
CCI AR Tactical .42" with sled
CCI AR Tactical .54" with mag
Aguila SE CP .59" with sled
Aguila SE CP .67" with mag (removing 1 pull that I know was my fault)
Aguila SE CP .69" with mag
CCI AR Tactical .75" with sled
Federal HV Match .78" with mag
CCI AR Tactical .79" with mag

I am not as scientific as some others on here with my testing. I did 0 cleaning until my last 3 groups which actually seemed to slightly hinder my groups. Most of my magazine groups were 10 shot groups and the sled groups were 5 shot groups. My one group at .42" I think is promising and really shows what this rifle is capable of (if I do my part).

Feel free to chime in on these groups and let me know what you think!

Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Sieg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV is the best ammo you have listed IMO but I'm not seeing any groups shot with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 AM
srbecker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats because it grouped worse than all of these except for the winchester, so I didnt even include that target.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbecker View Post
Thats because it grouped worse than all of these except for the winchester, so I didnt even include that target.
CCI SV is about all I shoot as I have many thousands of them.

I have had some teething problems getting them to group but if you hold your tongue just right (plus do other things) I can get acceptable groups (nothing spectacular but decent). Mostly in the .590" to .690" at 50 yards (no wind), very repeatable, not stellar accuracy but very repeatable. Some of my older CCI SV will group .100 less (give or take) across the board.

First off make sure the CCI SV feed without damaging the lead bullets-- I had to back the spring tension off on my BX-1 mags to get damage free feeding).

As you load the magazines look for any bullet damage as they come from the box (I find one or more with slight damage in about every box).

My RPRR will NOT group good with the CCI SV with a dirty barrel, or after shooting other brands, (so try starting with a very clean barrel then shoot 4 fouling shots, (THEN shoot for groups).

When you want to include the CCI SV in a trial run of different brands & types try shooting the CCI FIRST.

FWIW-- I have some older (10 years old at least) CCI SV & those tend to shoot better groups than the newer CCI SV. Actually pretty decent for a RPRR with a stock barrel. I don't know if the quality control was better back then or possibly the waxy lube has dried up in that 10 years so it now gives more consistent velocities.

I need to shoot the new & old CCI SV over my chronograph to see if I can find a reason. Problem is it's been so windy at my place lately the only times I can shoot with little wind is dawn & dusk so there isn't enough light for my chronograph in that lighting condition.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 PM
AveragEd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I commend you on the amount of time and effort you have expended in testing ammunition for your RPR. Many people don't do that in spite of knowing how fussy rimfires can be about ammo.

I own two of those rifles. When our grandson was about to be born back in December, I bought one for him and one for myself. I only have two kinds of 22LR ammo on hand as I have performed a test as you just did years ago and one of them works best in every 22LR firearm I own. I have lots and lots of both so our son and I shot both rifles with both kinds of ammo several months ago and both shot best with CCI MiniMag 40-grain ammo.

My rifle has a now-discontinued Leupold VX-2 target scope in 6-18x with an adjustable 40mm objective lens and a dot reticle. The grandson's rifle has one of the newish Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire scopes in 3-9x with that scope's unique rimfire-specific reticle. Both rifles will put five shots into the same ragged hole at 50 yards on those rare occasions that my 72 year-old eyes do their part. When they don't, half-inch five-shot groups are the norm.

Ironically, I took both guns to my club this afternoon - it wasn't raining for once! - and noticed that the grandson's trigger operates noticeably stiffer and rougher than mine but I attribute that to his not having been shot as much as mine. One thing I noticed when I first received both rifles was that the bolt in mine was very tight and borderline hard to close while his rifle's was not so I swapped bolts. Now both rifles' bolts work smoothly! There is no partial serial number or any other markings on the bolts so they are not fit to each rifle during assembly as many other rifles' bolts are. Just a bit of worthless trivia...

Someone else may have mentioned this in one of the many previous posts to your thread, but how about having someone who is known to be a good rifle shooter try some groups with it? If you've already done that, you might consider taking your rifle to a gunsmith for examination. One who is very AR chassis-familiar would probably be best. If that isn't possible, give Ruger a call. I've found their customer service folks very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm sure they don't want an owner of an RPR going around complaining about accuracy of one of their "precision" rifles.

Ed
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Fundy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK... Anyone who shoots a .22 pistol or rifle knows that aside from our rifle brands, eyesight, weather, and sights or scopes, different ammo works better or worse depending on all those factors.

I haven't chimed in yet because I was afraid I'd get laughed off the thread. However, my 10/22 International ("Mannlicher" stock) loves Aguila. I have tried Eley (Tenex, etc), RWS R100, Gemtech, CCI mini-mags, and of course the crap Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet and Federal.

The semi-auto loves the Aquila Pistol Match and the Super Extra. Why? I dunno... It will not cycle subsonic bullets of any brand reliably. It takes time to winnow out what works and what doesn't depending on one's shooting position and sights and - to be honest - one's mood.

Target: 10 rounds of Aguila Pistol Match at 25 yards, off bipod, and using Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.JPG (64.0 KB, 207 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM
OHSC1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my RPRR had me wondering the same thing the first day I had it out but after trying several types/brands of ammo I found CCI mini mag HPs 36gr shoot great.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM
1bdvet
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It finally had a day without rain so went to range, little breezy so used Kentucky windage shooting at 100 yards, using Ruger Precision 17 HMR.
I use CCI A17Varmint tips.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks good. For sure a varmint killing machine
Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 PM
misterc01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RPR Accurcy

Decided I had a Breath control and trigger squeeze issue to work out. Shooting 100 yards. Groups got better, but nothing to get excited about. Then decided maybe, just maybe the 36gr ammo was a possible issue, switched to 40gr and bingo - my groups came down like magic - shooting sub MOA groups. The rifle is a dream to shoot, and love the accuracy. Still some operator tuning to do.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:29 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first suggestion would be to join a club that charges annual dues so you don't feel pressured to save money by hurrying your shooting. Then, as others have said, run a lot of ammo through it before doing anything else - using cheap stuff for that is okay. After doing that, buy one box of as many different loads as you can and shoot a few 10-shot groups with each at 50 yards. Every barrel is a law unto itself, especially rimfires, so what works best for others might not do well for you.

I have two of these rifles, one with standard rotary magazines and one with the 15-round magazine. Both shoot really well with CCI SV and, of course, CCI Green Tag ammo although CCI MiniMag 40-grain and Federal Target (#711B on the box) do well too. I get no marks on bullets with either type of magazine but mine are early-production guns bought a year ago; something may have changed since then.

Ed