Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Rodmaker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kodiac model 260 .22 WMR semi auto

I dropped a Remington 550-1 off at my gunsmith to be re-blued. While there I spotted an interesting rifle on his rack. It was a Kodiak 260 .22 WMR semi. Like new. Just doesn't work. The Smith had worked on it and found that the mainspring is too weak to light the primer. He said he had found one but it was incorrect and would not work. Kept looking for a proper part. Meanwhile, the owner passed away and his family told the Smith to just keep it. He told me that if I could find the parts, he'd install and if it worked, he'd give me the gun for the price of the repair.

While I was ordering a new shell deflector and a few other small parts for the 550-1 he is re-bluing, I noted that Numrich also listed parts for the Kodiak. In fact, main springs and sear springs are in stock. I added that to my order.

Here's the possible snafu. The original parts the Smith got b4 came from Numrich. I'm gambling that the 2nd time is the charm. If the 2nd time is not the charm, does anyone know of an another source? Parts gun? Trigger group?

Thanks in advance
David
Old 01-19-2019, 12:03 PM
rgee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is some older information over on “The High Road” about lite strikes and the Kodiak 260. The solution was to replace both the hammer spring and the firing pin. You might also want to have your gunsmith check the feed throat as it is plastic and not durable.

My Kodiak seems to be ammo specific - word is that it was designed to function with SuperX 40 grain

RGee
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Rodmaker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a main spring for it yesterday when I ordered parts for another gun I'm working on. Didn't know about the firing pin issue. If the new spring doesn't get it to light off, i'll get a new firing pin.

Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmaker View Post
I ordered a main spring for it yesterday when I ordered parts for another gun I'm working on. Didn't know about the firing pin issue. If the new spring doesn't get it to light off, i'll get a new firing pin.

Thanks for the tip.
Always fun finding solutions. Hope yours works!!!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:29 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a Kodiak 260 that I got cheap because it wasn't working. I spent around $50 for parts from GPC. It fires 100% of the time, but only cycles about 80% of the time. I think that it is a weak design that it shares with the Colt Colteers and Stagecoach Carbines.

I believe that there are two different Kodiak 260 bolts, one has the cocking handle on the left side ahead of the receiver, like a Remington 552, and the other has the cocking handle on the right side of the bolt like most rimfire semi-automatic rifles.

Last edited by 917M2Sfan; 01-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM
breakeyp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kodiak, Jefferson and Colt .22 rifles were all made by Jefferson using common designed parts for the autoloaders. The .22 WMR Kodiak had a terrible reputation when it came out. My Uncle had one for deer hunting in the no rifle zone in Michigan. He was never happy with it.