Need info on buying a GSG 1911-22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
armytc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Need info on buying a GSG 1911-22

I'm going to purchase a GSG 1911-22 in the next couple of weeks. Since the finish tends to be an issue....should I get the two tone with the aluminum finish on the slide? Have there been any significant improvements made by GSG over the past couple of years, if so starting with what Serial Number?

To improve the reliability, what aftermarket parts do you suggest? I don't want $300 worth of parts on a $250 gun.

Thanks for any input!

ARMY TC
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
GSG 1911-22

The folks at CW Accessories make a lot of different parts for the GSG 1911-22. I think the parts they make are quality and they stand behind their products:

https://www.cwaccessories.com

Something you "might" want to consider down the road is the "Accelerator Performance Package", but I wouldn't make any changes until after you shoot it for a while. I had one of the original ones and the finish did come off. I'm not up on any of the changes they made to the product. I will be honest with you . . . I had one of the "Lemon Yellow" versions and poured a lot of additional money into the GSG just to get it to work. The folks at CW Accessories and a local gun smith did a lot of work on it to get in working condition.

I currently have a Kimber 22 Conversion kit on a Kimber frame & stumbled across a Marvel Precision Unit 1 mounted on a Foster Industries frame and am happy with both.

Last edited by rjferber; 10-16-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Additional Comments
Old 10-16-2018, 07:20 PM
armed in utah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
click link below.....bought one there a month ago....$216

also added the accurizer kit from TandemKross for $70....

CW is another choice...link also has GSG mags for $19

$15 shipping..do detailed search in handguns....'GSG'

https://www.gunprodeals.com/home

Last edited by armed in utah; 10-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 PM
armytc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question GSG 1911-22

Anyone know of factory upgrades on this pistol????

ARMY TC
Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM
armytc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 1911-22

Bump....still looking for GSG info....
Old 10-17-2018, 12:05 AM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ATI - Importer of GSG

Here is the URL for ATI which is the importer for GSG products:

https://americantactical.us/category/Pistols%20Main

The GSG 1911-22 I had was an early one and not sure if that was an anodized finish or some form of painted on finish, but it did come off easily. The anodized finish may be a upgrade. Based on the ATI website there are several different models available, however color seems to be the biggest difference. That target model is interesting . . . kind of like the grips on that one along with the ability to add a laser if desired. I do like the fact they now provide different height front sights so you can match the HV ammo one choses.

I wish you with the best with your selection.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM
armed in utah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armytc View Post
Bump....still looking for GSG info....
U Tube has videos........

For $250 buy one & try it

I have 1K+ rds out of mine

money well spent for a fun plinker
Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know if I've just been lucky...or like most internet 'gun' issues for every person who has a problem and complains on the net there are twenty-five people just out enjoying their gun.
Got my GSG about six years ago...before they came out with the steel insert to stop the slide stop issue.
Have easily 10K rounds through mine and the slide works perfectly with no visible peening.
As long as I use copper washed ammo I have next to no failuress...as in I can go through hundreds of rounds without a failure.
If I use lead lubricated ammo (and if I don't clean the gun for awhile) I'll get a couple of stovepipes in a shooting session, which is usually around two hundred rounds or so.
(BTW it like to be run wet).
About two years I installed the ZR Tactical Solutions Ultimate package https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...imate-package/ as well as their sight set https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...-steel-sights/ which cut my average group size in half.
Can't say enough good things on what was a $400 (Canadian) firearm.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM
armytc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile GSG 1911-22

Thanks for the update! I called GSG today and asked them some questions. Yes the pin is an upgrade and the two tone model has a brushed aluminum slide than can be polished......a bit more holster friendly. The FDE Model would show fewer scratches than black.
I hope to buy one in the next few weeks.....I see a lot of gun for the money.
Thanks again for any other comments.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the CWA Accelerator black nitride kit, Dawson Precision higher fiber optic sight and higher rear, a better Wilson combat buffer. Loving the gun. Manually polished the slide rails to remove overpaint. My finish is poor and easily damaged (black), two tone or FDE would probably look better for longer.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 10-18-2018, 04:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine will be up for sale soon with all the upgrades seperate but I loved it just downsizing the collection.

Shot high when new, put accelerator package, firing pin in. Worked great. Barrel started wearing the paint off immediately. I was going to polish it but gave up.

Put a skeletonized slide with red dot and match stainless barrel for fun. Red dot was super cheap, with a better one would have been amazing.

Magazines get stuck on slide open unless you file off the back tabs. I filed all mine off and removed the grip safety. In its current config with stock barrel and steel bushing its shoots right on target. Might do the same with a match barrel and factory bushing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM
TRYPHON
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chiappa vs. GSG

I have both the Chiappa 1911 22 and the GSG 1911 22. This is my honest opinion of the two guns.

CHIAPPA
PROS:
- Durable parker-like finish (not painted)
- Very accurate shooter thanks to solidly mounted fixed barrel
- Alloy used contains iron and can be touched up with a cold blue product
- wood grips
- reliable (for a .22)
- low price
CONS:
- Barrel bushing fit is not flush with front of slide (no effect on accuracy, but looks bad)
- Finish is not very refined: looks like a GI 1911
- No grip safety
- Plastic magazine (2 supplied)
- Magazine will not drop out free
- non-adjustable sights (in basic GI version)

GSG 1911 22:
PROS:
- Looks great, nicely detailed finish when new
- Skeletonized hammer
- Extended Beavertail
- Ambidextrous safety
- Threaded barrel
- Lightened trigger
- Nice, metal magazine (one supplied)
- Magazine drops out free
- Many common parts with standard 1911
- Adjustable sights
CONS:
- Not accurate (barrel held by two pins and one screw). Every time gun is field stripped for cleaning, torque of barrel screw moves the point of impact.
- Very delicate finish: the finish on the slide is painted and will scrape off easily. CLP products such as Hoppes 9 will actually melt off the paint from the slide.
- Zamak alloy chosen is very soft
- Lots of common parts with SoftAir gun made by GSG
- Barrel bushing prone to turning and braking (at least in early guns)
- Guide rod fragile: many users upgrade to non-OEM part
- Barrel screw prone to stripping threads in soft barrel shroud
- Plastic grips
- Plastic sights are very fragile

These are my personal opinions. I hope they can be of interest to people looking at these two guns.