Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6 Steps of Firing the Shot

For some that have attended consider this a refresher with maybe a bit more info. For those considering attending this will definitely help you at your first event.

Appleseed (AS) does a PHENEMONAL job the way they have laid out 6 simple precise steps to taking a shot. Here they are:

Once you have established your Natural Point of Aim (NPA) on the target you will then commence to start the 6 steps of firing the shot. These apply to each position *Standing/Seated/Prone* slow fire or rapid fire.

1. Sight Picture:
This is where we use NPA to align our body to the target. It is also where we decide what hold on the target we will use. 6 o clock hold or center of mass. I prefer a center of mass, but sometimes I use a 6 o clock hold. The environmental conditions, especially when using iron sights will dictate what hold I will use. This is simply taking our sights with a rough alignment and placing them at either 6 o clock on the aiming black (or target) or center of mass.

**Important.....must maintain this thru step 6**

2. Sight Alignment:
I mentioned this above as "rough alignment" but this is where we refine.
Iron Sights: We now center the front sight inside the rear aperture. Sounds simple, but it is really quite complex. Any error in sight alignment will manifest itself in an off call shot on target. Equal height and equal light. Perfectly aligned sights is the goal here.
Scopes: Somewhat easy, as the reticle is already aligned.

3. Respiratory Pause:
Maintaining steps 1 and 2, we then breathe. Inhale/Exhale and we come to a natural pause. You will see the sights move with breathing, and then pause after the exhale. Maintain the pause and we move to step 4.

4. Front Sight Focus:
Irons: Intently focus on the front sight. For many this will be a leap of faith, the target is an absolute BLUR. That is what it is supposed to be. The human eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Look at the target = LARGE group, Look at the front sight = SMALL Group.
Fuzzy Rear sight, Focused Front Sight, Fuzzy target.

Scopes: I focus on the reticle. Intently. It may be that your scope allows you to see both target and reticle in focus. Focus on the reticle. EQUIPMENT note: FOCUS your eyepiece per the scopes instruction manual. You want a CRISP/CLEAR and IMMEDIATE reticle.

4B: Step 4 B is to tell yourself, your mind to keep your eye on the front sight. We have this step, because it is so important. It is unnatural to many....because they may be trying this for the first time. You must focus on the front sight....intently.

**REFRESHER.....at this point we have good sight picture, aligned sights, are NOT BREATHING, and are focused on our reticle or front sight. IF ANYTHING changes :You breathe for example .....START OVER. These MUST be done in order and maintained thru step 6!

5. SQUEEZE the trigger:
SQUEEZE, not slap, not jerk....slowly squeeze the trigger while maintaining the above steps. If it takes too long and you need to breathe before the shot fires....START over with STEP 1.

6. Follow Thru:
HOLD the trigger back and maintain steps 1 thru 5 thru the recoil. THIS is where we learn to CALL the shot. If you breathe or move....you will miss the shot call.

These steps are also used for dry firing, without ammo of course. You can learn to call the shot without ammo in dry fire.

Personal note/experience: I was shooting a match at 300 yards, rapid fire prone. My scorekeeper noticed that I was doing all of the above correctly.....except as soon as the rifle went BANG I breathed. I held the trigger back, but breathed instantly.

This is why I say you must maintain all steps prior to make a good shot. When I stopped breathing on recoil, I stated to routinely CLEAN 300 yard rapid fire prone.

Hope the above helps!

Chris
Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The goal is X's and 10's or V's and 5's (bullseye shots)!

In order to do that.....use the 6 steps above.

The way to shoot an X or a V is to ensure you are maintaining sight alignment thru the trigger squeeze and recoil.

That simple....LOL

I did mention the breathing pause...but really to have excellent NPA you must also RELAX !

If you are tensed up like a pretzel, it will manifest itself on the target.

RELAX is something I often stress to others and myself.

The USMC teaches BRASS: Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slowly Squeeze.

That works as well. But there are finer points to the above. What is imperative to understand is that these are FUNDAMENTAL.

Fundamental: Forming a necessary base or core; of central importance

R/
Chris